Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2012, 06:50   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Micron Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh come on Illusion, lighten up. Just b/c the question was trivial and basic to you, doesn't mean it is for someone else. If it bugs you, don't read or respond.
I know. This caught me on a day when I was fed up having dealt with entitlement dependent mentality people and took it out on this guy. My bad.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
I have a Racor fg 5000 and it had a 2 micron filter in it. I decided to replace it with a 10 micron filter. 2 micron is too small..in my opinion. Common rail diesels are running 4 micron and they are far more prone to contaminated fuel than older diesel engines. I also use Fuel Right fuel additive to prevent sludge from forming in my tank. It helps keep the fuel and my system clean and it has made a difference for me.
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

And for some reason american wire gauge gets larger as it goes from 1 gauge to 0 gauge and continues getting bigger. This is unique because 0 which is nothing is bigger than 1 so 0 is now something. HA. So a 0000 ( 4/0) wire is bigger than a 0 wire (1/0). That would be pronounced 4 aught and 1 aught. And 4 nothings is now bigger than 1 nothing. That's really something!
Now let's discuss angstroms.

FWIW
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatless 4 now View Post
Can anyone clear up a question on the the micron size of a diesel filter? I was under the impression that, much like wire gauge, the smaller the micron number, the bigger the particle. For instance I would want to have a primary that was a 5 micron and a secondary that was a 100 micron, as 100 microns are smaller than a 5 micron.. Is that correct or do i want the larger micron filter first in the series?

Thanks
A micron is a unit of length in the metric system.

Wire gage numbers is related to the way wire was originally manufactured. The finer the wire the greater the required number of passes thru wire dies so the larger the number.

Sieves are similar below a certain size, about 1/4", they start to be numbered in holes per inch so a larger number is a finer/smaller hole.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Micron size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Interesting math.
It is very interesting math.

It is not a linear relationship. It is a squared relationship when you look at the cross sectional area. This is because you have to take into account that the cross sectional area is a measure of the X and Y axis and not just the X axis.

So in other words, the cross sectional area of a filter grid going from 2 cm to 4 cm across would be not twice as large but four times as large.

If you want to add the Z axis and measure volume or mass, then it would be a cubed relationship.

When you double the size restriction, you can up to cube the size of the mass or volume of the size of the particles that can get through.

So for the same surface area, it's no wonder 2 cm filter is going to clog up much sooner than a 10 cm filter. It is capturing much much smaller particles. I haven't ran the math but it might be something on the scale of the Sun in proportion to the size of the Earth. I don't know. Does someone want to do the math by doing a ratio?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
And for some reason american wire gauge gets larger as it goes from 1 gauge to 0 gauge and continues getting bigger. This is unique FWIW
and confuses the hell out of the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Does someone want to do the math by doing a ratio?
Wouldn't it be easier just to bung another CAV 296 filter on and be done with it

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I guess that depends on how well one did in algebra.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 22:19   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Sorry, a bit late on this thread. Just found this:

Your thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SeaSkillsTwoMicronFiltrationWhitePaper.pdf.pdf (97.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 22-08-2012, 23:14   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

Great Article. I agree 100% with the paper. I rid of my 2 micron racor filter in exchange for a 10 micron filter.

I would add though that fuel contamination can result in premature filter failure as the biomass can and will grow on the element restricting fuel flow despite the filter looking clean. Dirt and biomass (sludge) are two different problems and I would argue that marine diesel systems are more prone to biomass contamination than dirt.

Biocides and stabilizers are no longer effective with ULSD and biodiesel but people continue to use them.
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size