This nearly new 3.5hp outboard
was part of the deal when I bought my sailboat. I knew the motor
had been sitting for a while (and would not start) so I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner. The main jet was plugged but the carb cleaner took care of that. I reassembled everything, put in some pretty fresh gas, and cranked it up. Damn thing would not run or idle properly no matter what I did.
After doing some research
, I found that many other people have had the same issues with this motor
. I'm tempted to sell the damn thing on CL and buy a new Yamaha or other brand.
Before taking the carb off the motor. I documented everything so I could reassemble it in case I forgot how it all went back together.
Carb from hell looks innocent enough
opened it up to find expected varnish
and ****. The main jet in the center of the pic has an opening about the size of three human hairs.
I guess the only recourse is to buy a carb kit for $60 and try that. I sure as hell don't want to spend $200 for a new carb for this POS.