Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 15:59   #1

mercruiser 898 (5.0) in street car advice

ok. someone set me straight if im not already. in desperate need of advice and knowledge! i am in a bit of a pinch and need a motor for my '77 GMC sprint with a metric 200 automatic tranny to pull my small camper. i traded a nissan car for a mercruiser 898 that has almost 6 hours on it. ive heard it run and seen receipts. I have searched high and low on a swap and this is what ive found out. (PLEASE correct me if im wrong or verify if im right!) the "898" is a left hand motor with flat lifters (i believe the same as a standard auto engine and can anyone explain flat lifters? good/bad/longevity?), it takes a 25-40 oil. it needs exhaust swapped out and chevy motor mounts and possible flywheel change to bolt to torque converter. other than these seeming minor differences, what am i looking at to do a drop in to have my horse back? i realize the cam has short power peak that i will have to adjust to. i threw a rod in my 383 but i believe the cam/194 heads/intake are all good. please advise! im no professional but im fairly handy with a wrench and a sponge when it comes to knowlege. will my eldebrock 650 carb be good on it? HEI distributor? anything is better than i have found on this topic. everyone seems to want to do the opposite. (drop chevy motor in a boat)
THANKS in advance
crazydaze1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser