Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 05:19   #1

Boat: Sweden 340
Marine Parts Ltd. UK

Hello everyone.
I am leaning towards repowering my Sweden 340 with a Volvo Penta 2030 with sail drive to a new Volvo Penta D1-30 with sail drive. I have been quoted a very reasonable price from Marine Parts Ltd in the UK. Has anyone had any experience with them they could share? It's about $4,000 less than what I have been quoted here in the U.S. and wondering if it's a "too good to be true, it probably is" scenario.

I was told the Volvo Penta warranty would take effect after inspection from a local Volvo Penta dealer. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
carabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 06:21   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Marine Parts Ltd. UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabe View Post
Hello everyone.
I am leaning towards repowering my Sweden 340 with a Volvo Penta 2030 with sail drive to a new Volvo Penta D1-30 with sail drive. I have been quoted a very reasonable price from Marine Parts Ltd in the UK. Has anyone had any experience with them they could share? It's about $4,000 less than what I have been quoted here in the U.S. and wondering if it's a "too good to be true, it probably is" scenario.

I was told the Volvo Penta warranty would take effect after inspection from a local Volvo Penta dealer. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
I can't comment on that particular dealer, but I was quoted about $3000 less from a dealer in the Caribbean for the exact same swap (times 2 on my cat). It seems the US dealers are just significanly higher priced.

Can I ask why you are swapping? The 2030 is one of the most popular diesel engine blocks in the world (used in everything from Ford tractors to skid steers, to tree chippers, to pumps). Its not uncommon to see those blocks with 20K hours.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:40   #3

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I'm considering swapping is because of a sail drive issue. The engine runs great. I need to replace the lower unit on the drive and it's not that much more money (about $2,500) to do a complete repower after the insurance payout (I struck something in the water).
Old 20-06-2017, 13:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Hello everyone.

You might want to ask this question/search on the YBW forum as it is more UK oriented
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:08   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I'm considering swapping is because of a sail drive issue. The engine runs great. I need to replace the lower unit on the drive and it's not that much more money (about $2,500) to do a complete repower after the insurance payout (I struck something in the water).

Ahhh.. Yes.. I'm guessing your MD2030 is mated to an MS25S.. $2500 is pretty small for a new motor.

Just know your MD2030 is still worth some money.. You should be able to sell it quite easily. Even on ebay.. I'm guessing you will get about $1000 if its in good shape..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 20:54   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

I purchased a Yanmar 3GM from Marine 'Enterprises' Ltd in Dorset. Guessing that isn't the same venue. This was a used engine/trans.
Take care with the importer. Make sure they dotted all of the I's & Ts.
I asked for shipment to Wilmington, DE and it got delivered to Wilmington, NC with lots of extra expense to get it up to my neighborhood!
RLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:15   #7

Thanks RLiard. That's the company I meant. Oops. Did you have any issues with customs or EPA and what kind of duty can I expect to pay?
Old 23-06-2017, 06:22   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There are several firms with similar names, can you post a link to their website?

If you would like to know what public information is available about them then this will help:

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 06:40   #9

Thanks Pete.

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk
Old 23-06-2017, 10:00   #10

Carabe, I dealt with Sean who was very helpful. The duties / costs are affected by the vintage of the engine. You may be able to help adding some age (and character) to the package. I believe if it's from the '90s or newer you will have some additional duties tied to emissions or similar. Not sure where you are or if that's really relevant but you might use Sean's broker in the US as they have some rapport. I failed to do that and probably added to the issues.

Best or luck!
Old 23-06-2017, 10:12   #11

Thanks RLaird. It's a new D1-30. I'm probably going to pick up the engine in NYC when it arrives myself. I didn't realize Sean had a broker in the U.S. It would ease my anxiety considerably about sending such a big sum overseas if there was a contact on this end!
Old 23-06-2017, 11:34   #12

This is just an import/shipping broker. You will still have to send the payment abroad. I used a service that may now belong to PayPal which is quite secure. Picking the package up at the docks in NYC should be an experience. Expect it to take them a few days to a week to clear customs.

Best,
Rob
Old 24-06-2017, 09:26   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
These guys are the Dorset lot and they have been discussed on YBW a couple of times with folk buying engines off them.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 07:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLaird View Post
This is just an import/shipping broker. You will still have to send the payment abroad. I used a service that may now belong to PayPal which is quite secure. Picking the package up at the docks in NYC should be an experience. Expect it to take them a few days to a week to clear customs.

Best,
Rob
I see. They are going to sent by air. Thanks for the info!

Chris

Tags
marine, parts