Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-02-2008, 09:19   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Marine Fuel Line Hose

I'm in the process of replacing my boat's diesel fuel tank. While doing that I'm also replacing the valves, fittings and hoses. While searching for fuel line I have come across several automotive type fuel line hoses that state, "NOT FOR MARINE USE" Does anyone know the difference (other than cost) between fuel line hose labeled as "Marine Fuel Line" and fuel line hose which might be used on a diesel tractor or semi truck? I only want to do this once but then again I don't want to pay three or four prices for something I don't need. Thanks for the help!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Flexible fuel lines must be USCG approved SAEJ1527 hose. I don't know any more specifics other than it probably is an ABYC requirement as well if the Coasties require it.

From here: New Boatbuilders Home Page - Fuel System
"When fuel hose is used it must be either USCG Type A1, USCG Type A2, USCG Type B1 or USCG type B2. Where you use it determines what type you use."

Why take a chance with something as critical as your fuel lines and a potential boat fire? You would also have your butt covered if you had to file an insurance claim. Seeing the remnants of truck fuel lines in your burned out boat would be a good excuse for your insurance company not to pay your claim. I think going with the cheap hose would be a bad shortcut.

Check Defender Industries for discounted marine supplies.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As David indicates, Both ABYC Sections H-24 & H-33 Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Systems specify:
FLEXIBLE FUEL HOSE
24/33.6.1 Hose shall comply with the requirements of the UL 1114 Marine (USCG Type A) Flexible Fuel-Line Hose, or with the requirements of SAE J1527 Marine Fuel Hoses.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:41   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
go to defender and buy the best fuel line hose they have that is resistant to gas, diesel, alcohol, heat and ozone.. it's good cheap insurance.
Old 21-02-2008, 11:06   #5

Boat: Dufour 35
European Slant!

A marine fuel hose manufactured according to EN ISO 7840 A1 standard, demands flame resistance and permeability, which means that the hose can operate in open fire for 2,5 min. without leaking.
Normal automotive fuel hoses are not generally fire resistant to this standard.

Cheers!
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Marine Fuel Lines to USCG/SAE J1527 & ISO 7840 Type A1
Shields Fuel Hose (USCG Approved Fuel feed, vent and filler hose)
http://www.goodyearep.com/productsDetail.aspx?id=2782

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:08   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The A-1 marine grade hose is not expensive, from $ 2.00 to $ 2.50 ft
Inlet Marine Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:35   #8

Hopefully everyone has convinced you about the importance of Marine grade fuel hose.

You also don't want to base your anchor choice solely on cost.
I'm always amassed by folks who have large, expensive boats and then want to go cheap on anchors, safety equip, fuel hoses!!haha

What is your boat worth?

good luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:11   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Get excellent connectors and clamps and make sure the hose is routed properly.

Ours used single, crappy hose clamps, did not overlap the nipple properly and was tie wrapped to the battery cable. I moved the batteries while on the hard - slightly bow up on the ramp, and when we launched later that day, I had 10 liters of diesel in the cabin sole.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:19   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
hey, you said the best! I bought some stuff that is steel jacketed, High pressure, coast guard approved, a1 marine rated! cost $11 a foot. Not counting the special fittings! Guess what? You know that little bib that comes out of the fuel pump on Yanmar diesels? You know, the thing you connect the hose to!? Dang if that didn't pop off on me once. JB weld is great for some things! (did the other engine too! just in case)

Do you get the sense that I think I spent WAY too much on this stuff!? Hey, I was under budget because I only spent $200 on the Racor filters! (didn't get the marine ones, got normal diesel ones and bought a set of heat sheilds!) Looks cool though!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:33   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
A marine fuel hose manufactured according to EN ISO 7840 A1 standard, demands flame resistance and permeability, which means that the hose can operate in open fire for 2,5 min. without leaking.
Normal automotive fuel hoses are not generally fire resistant to this standard.

Cheers!
Exactly......................

Boatbuilder's Handbook - Fuel Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCG
(b) Each fire test is conducted with free burning heptane and the component must be subjected to a flame for 2-1/2 minutes.
Old 21-02-2008, 19:37   #12

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Thanks everyone ..... looks like anything less than Marine Fuel Hose could cause a problem if ever there was a fire in the engine room, especially or with my insurance company if a lesser hose was ever detected on a survey (remember, I said I only want to do this once). I'll bite the bullet and go with the high price marine stuff. Thanks again!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 76' custom - 1932 - see website
Re: Marine Fuel Line Hose

The more I read the more confused I get. Use Marine grade fuel line? Absolutely no question but - there is conflicting information out there between what I see in this forum, what the manufacturers say and what some of the suppliers say.

I'm replacing my old Purolators with new Racor's. I'm running diesel to my 1945 6-71's. While at it, I'm going to replace some of the copper with hose. From what I had read, it looked like A1 would be the choice. then I read on the Amazon hose site (Diesel Fuel Hoses at Amazon Hose and Rubber) that I should use B1 because it's below the waterline. Also "The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) recommends the Type B1 fuel hose for diesel-based applications. The Type A1 hose is the best option for gasoline supply. This hose is less permeable, highly durable, heat resistant and does not collapse under high pressure or vacuum."

This seems to contradict what I have read elsewhere. I also read that using barb fittings and clamps is acceptable (as long as the barb section is long enough to accomodate double clamps. Is that true?

Where do I go for the final, definitive and accurate answer?
norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:53   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Diesel Fuel Hose « AutoMotive Credits

Does this help?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 14:11   #15
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

We buy all of our fuel lines & hoses from Goodyear Rubber. These guys are on top of the latest changes and the productd are alway fresh, not stocked pile in a warehouse waiting for shipment.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel