Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 15:31   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Marine diesel vs highway diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Now wait a minute guys. I got some road fuel- it had ethanol in it. I do not think the stuff I feel up with at the dock has any. I know because it made the entire engine room smell different.
Ran just the same though.

Some stations are carrying bio diesel. I've never seen ethanol diesel.

Turns out someone somewhere is experimenting with it.
Ethanol Information: E Diesel
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:44   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Where we are the marina diesel sucks big way. I walk to the gas station and buy the city fuel. BTW it is cheaper there too! Our engine smokes less and seems to have more kick (I know, probably just my attitude).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:45   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Go to a farming area and buy your diesel from a farm coop or outlet and save some money.
Yeah, I can just imagine myself carrying 100 to 300 gallons of fuel in gerry cans between the farm-fuel outlet and the boat. Physically exhausting, dangerous, and definitely not cost effective.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:48   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

newt,

If your fuel dock is putting ethanol in your diesel, then you should run fast, very fast and do not look back, just keep running. Ethanol is used in gas not diesel fuel.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:08   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Now wait a minute guys. I got some road fuel- it had ethanol in it. I do not think the stuff I feel up with at the dock has any. I know because it made the entire engine room smell different.
Ran just the same though.
Are you sure your talking about diesel? Ethanol and gasoline, sure, but diesel and ethanol is NOT a healthy mixture.

From the study Safety and Performance Assessment of Ethanol/Diesel Blends (E-Diesel) Executive Summary:

(even though it is from 2003, ethanol diesel is still considered experimental)

Quote:
The current target market is use in centrally-fueled vehicle fleets. Because E-diesel does not meet all the ASTM specifications for diesel fuel, it probably cannot be legally sold at the retail level in most states.
-
The major concern with the use of E-diesel derives from its flammability characteristics. E-diesel blends containing 10% to 15% ethanol have the vapor pressure and flammability limits of ethanol. This means that ethanol concentrations in enclosed spaces such as fuel storage and vehicle fuel tanks are flammable over the temperature range of 13 to 42°C, typical ambient temperatures. Thus, there are increased risks of fire and explosion compared to diesel fuel, or even gasoline. Other vehicle performance-related concerns have also been raised. These include decreased maximum power, increased incidence of fuel pump vapor lock, and reduced fuel pump and fuel injector life due to the decreased lubricity of ethanol.

In this study, TIAX performed a failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) to evaluate the relative safety risks and performance risks of E-diesel use compared to standard diesel fuel use. The fuel use process evaluated included the preparation, transportation, fleet vehicle fueling station storage, and use of E-diesel. Only the use of E-diesel fuel containing up to 15% ethanol in heavy-duty vehicle fleets was evaluated.

The safety risk FMEA concluded that, without fuel system infrastructure, fueling station, and vehicle modifications, E-diesel use poses significantly greater risks than diesel fuel or even gasoline in comparable applications. All safety risks identified and ranked were risks of fire or explosion. The most significant safety risks are associated with the possibility of explosion in storage and vehicle fuel tanks, and the potential for
spilled fuel fires resulting from traffic accidents involving fuel transportation tankers or fleet vehicles.
Old 04-05-2012, 17:25   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My bad- it was biodiesel, the ethanol was in the gas at the same pump. But it was different in smell. It is methanol that is combined with fats to make it, not ethanol. Sorry for the mistake guys.(whats one carbon molecule between friends anyway?)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 19:48   #22

One thing everybody seems to be forgetting about the cost of marine diesel is the cost of insurance against a fuel spill. The cost of the installation of triple piping out the dock, and the cost of maintenance of the fuel system on the dock. I have no financial interest in a marina just an interest in how things are done and why. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 20:06   #23

Yep...gig harbor where I live has a ton of boats but no fuel now...last fuel dock closed because it was too expensive for insurance, upgrading tanks, etc....more profitable to change it into a tiny marina with a few slips. Especially here in Washington there are an insane amount of environmental regulations they have to comply with.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 20:14   #24

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Anyone know if marine diesel is being screened for biodiesel content? The Feds only require labeling on pumps that contain 5% or more. With all of the tax credits, incentives, and mandates there's a good chance of it in the pipelines and sold at less than 5% blends with neither the consumer nor vendor aware of it. Was just curious if the stuff the marinas buy is exempt or screened. I have a fiberglass tank with an epoxy liner that is only good for regular petro-diesel.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 20:41   #25

While ago they started change over from high sulphur to ultralow sulphur diesel here in US. High sulfur was banned from using on the roads and was offered for sale as offroad diesel dyed red. My old Westerbeke purring like a kitten on high sulpher fuel and hates ULSD.
125Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 23:14   #26

2, things I’de like to bring up I have found that adding about 1 ounce of outboard motor oil per gallon of diesel seems to help my old Cummins run quieter and makes me feel better. The other thing I think it would be neat if we confine something similar to a balloon to put over the vent on the fuel tanks so that they could not change air every day with the heating and cooling. There would need to be some sort of check valve to let air in but not out. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 00:25   #27

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Diesel today is different stuff than a decade ago. The stuff today is low sulfur. Sulfur lubs an engine. Older diesel engines like my 1976 yanmar 8 benefit from the old diesel formula. I add sulfer back into the fuel. I also add a biocide to kill mold. Old diesel did not mold. This new junk does. Once mold gets in the system it is hundreds of dollars fixing that
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57   #28

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

My father has a small diesel powered displacement fishing boat he keeps on Sydney Harbour. He claims that, at the marina where he buys his fuel, they charge the same price as at the nearby service station. In fact he also claims that the price has stayed the same for the last 25 years.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19   #29

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana
My father has a small diesel powered displacement fishing boat he keeps on Sydney Harbour. He claims that, at the marina where he buys his fuel, they charge the same price as at the nearby service station. In fact he also claims that the price has stayed the same for the last 25 years.
25 years?

Cut it out!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:07   #30

How about this?
Diesel Caddy | Economical Diesel Fuel Storage and Transportation
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine