Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-05-2012, 08:42   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Re: Marine diesel vs highway diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Were you responding to Mark with the powerboat? He'd have to make 4 trips with this for a partial fill.

We have a gas version of this at our club for the 3 whaler rescue/instructor boats. Most people just use the jerry cans. Only the guy with a pickup truck and additional people to help will go to fill the caddy. Gas about 6 lbs per gallon, 28 gallons, 170 lbs to transport.

For me when the fuel dock isn't convenient, 2 5 gallon jerry cans gets me 16 hours of motoring.

John

Old 05-05-2012, 09:04   #32
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yeah, I can just imagine myself carrying 100 to 300 gallons of fuel in gerry cans between the farm-fuel outlet and the boat. Physically exhausting, dangerous, and definitely not cost effective.
Err... Darlin, I think he was thinkin of the sailboat type tank... sucks to be us when there's no wind, sucks ta be you at the pump ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42   #33

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I may be giving myself away but I remember paying .14/gal at Baker's Haulover in Miami.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01   #34

So because road diesel has extra tax on it, it would be highly illegal to put marine diesel in a car. Technically, it's illegal to do the reverse, but I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it.

For a short time, marine diesel wasn't low sulphur, but auto diesel was. But I understand that the low sulphur is being phased in.

Quote from Wikipedia :

"Since December 1, 2010, all highway diesel fuel have been ULSD. Non-road diesel fuel was required to move to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and further to ULSD in 2010. Railroad locomotive and marine diesel fuel also moved to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and will change to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel produced and imported will be ULSD."
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Now days I can spend over $200 just filling my Ford Excursion.
You chose to drive a vehicle the size of a house, that means you also CHOSE to spend a lot on gas. Get used to it, $300 a tank is coming soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:09   #36

Boat: Island Packet
I recently purchased a VW diesel and they advised if I use farm or agriculture diesel it would void my warranty. They said the sulfur content was not the same.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
So because road diesel has extra tax on it, it would be highly illegal to put marine diesel in a car. Technically, it's illegal to do the reverse, but I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it.

Not only is it legal to put road taxed diesel in your boat, some states will give you a refund on the tax if you apply for it.

List of states that refund road tax:
BoatUS.com: Government Affairs
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42   #38

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You chose to drive a vehicle the size of a house, that means you also CHOSE to spend a lot on gas. Get used to it, $300 a tank is coming soon.
Why yes, it is a rather large 4X4 at 8000 lbs, but being diesel will return over 20 MPG on the highway, and when towing my transport trailer offers a very stable platform. You think I should downsized to something that will get it's tailed wagged by the trailer and some gas engine only getting 12 MPG? The Excursion, since they don't make them anymore, is a keeper.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18   #39

Boat: Islander 32

Here's my 2 cents (or $4.65 depending on where your at). Highway diesel, Off road (or farm) diesel and Marine are all the same. Because they say we were destroying the environment all the smart people in government made stricter rules on emissions, thats the reason for ultra low sulphur diesel or ulsd. The smarter people in the oil business add "additives" to lubricate your motor (they still want your business). The Off road diesel has the red dye in it is for Off road use, no highway tax, and can be up to .55 cents per gallon cheaper, depending on what state you live in. You can run it in any diesel engine. But it's up to $10,000 fine (thats the reason for the red dye, the state patrol will dip your tank) if you get caught with it in your personal vehicle. And did you know that the original diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil. They're are some people that run their diesel, after filtering, on used cooking oil.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:58   #40

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
My father has a small diesel powered displacement fishing boat he keeps on Sydney Harbour. He claims that, at the marina where he buys his fuel, they charge the same price as at the nearby service station. In fact he also claims that the price has stayed the same for the last 25 years.
Me: " I don't believe you dad, how do you do it?"
Dad: " Well, I don't know, I always ask for $20 worth!"
Old 05-05-2012, 13:10   #41

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

When I was in Calif. there was an enormas tax on fuels at the marina fuel dock. These went toward funding verious regulatory agencies to control our waterboarne enjoyment. This could be called double er-- dipping.

When in Trinidad, get several cruisers together and rent a large car, load it up with jerry cans and buy the fuel at the local gas station. We saved close to $3 a gallon because this oil and gas producing country gives a subsidy to the locals.
Old 05-05-2012, 17:22   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

I think if I had diesel powered powerboat I'd rig a 500 gallon tank to the back of my old Chev pickup and truck it down to the boat rather than the extra fees for convenience. Just got to make certain I don't spill any.
kind regards,
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24   #43

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Diesel in the boats and diesel in the trucks pulling them. If your boat out weighs your truck you are asking for trouble. If I am going far I grab the big one, if I am going to launch / retrieve I use the 4wd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3432237323.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	40959   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1801600985.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	40960  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3391628146.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	40961   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-890071114.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	40962  

Old 01-01-2013, 11:56   #44

Often (depending on location) off highway and marine diesel has significantly more sulfur content than highway grade diesel. The added sulfur provides better lubrication - helpful for older (pre 2006) diesels that were not designed for low sulfur diesels will most likely be happier with the added lubrication. Look up low sulfur diesel in Wikepedia. In 2014 all diesel will be low sulfur in the USA...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sibley View Post
Is there any significant difference between marine diesel and highway diesel? I know that the color is different to indicate that highway taxes have not been paid on marine diesel, but is there any real difference in the way there are refined or in the additives? Are there any negatives from using highway diesel in a boat?
Here, see the difference for yourself>>>

Regulations and Standards | Fuels and Fuel Additives | US EPA

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: