Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 23:39   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Manual Lever on Fuel Lift Pump

Hello, After changing fuel filters on our Yanmar 3GM30F, I tried to bleed the system by loosening the bleed screw on the secondary pump, and actuating the manual lever on the lift pump. Nothing comes out. If I crank the engine, which also actuates the pump, it seems to work. It's a new pump. Any ideas as to why I can't bleed the fuel with the manual lever? Thanks!
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 00:10   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Manual Lever on Fuel Lift Pump

How many strokes do you give the lever before declaring "it doesn't work"? 200-300?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 00:32   #3

Definitely not hundreds. More like 20 or 30. Too few, eh?
Old 23-10-2017, 04:10   #4

Sometimes the engine stops with the lift pump cam lobe in exactly the wrong place. Bump the engine over and try again.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 04:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Hello, After changing fuel filters on our Yanmar 3GM30F, I tried to bleed the system by loosening the bleed screw on the secondary pump, and actuating the manual lever on the lift pump. Nothing comes out. If I crank the engine, which also actuates the pump, it seems to work. It's a new pump. Any ideas as to why I can't bleed the fuel with the manual lever? Thanks!
Its a common problem, playing with that little lever,some engine installations work fine with it , others not.

could be that something you just touched is letting in air, but maybe not....

Sometime in the future, but before this event is forgotton, I would suggest getting a small electric inline pump installed that can bleed the system for you. It has to allow flow when it is off.

The advantages are that its easier to bleed after changing filters.
Turn on the pump, bleed the system, turn it off and let the mechanical pump take over.
You have a theoretically safer installation as next time you have air in the system, you can get it out faster...imagine engine stopping at a slightly inconvenient time!!... you can practice for this event
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 05:00   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
Sometimes the engine stops with the lift pump cam lobe in exactly the wrong place. Bump the engine over and try again.
I did this once and the engine started and since the screw was loose it dripped diesel fuel all over the place before I could shut it off.

I have found that if I fill the new filters before installing them I don't need to bleed anything.
Old 23-10-2017, 06:11   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
Here's the correct answer. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 23-10-2017, 06:22   #8

Some great ideas! Can't wait to get back on board tomorrow to investigate further. Thanks for the posts!
Old 23-10-2017, 06:29   #9

Boat: Whitby 42

I always install one of those squeeze bulbs in line with the fuel line ahead of the Racors. Isolate it with two three way valves although probably not necessary. Sure makes charging the Racors and bleeding the system much easier.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 06:47   #10

I read that suggestion once before and was tempted. I chickened out when I also read that the bulb can collapse from normal vacuum. But if you isolate it as you suggest, that would eliminate the risk. Will add to my project list.
Old 23-10-2017, 07:15   #11

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

A solution that is far easier - Racor makes a primary filter with a pump right on it. No need to play with the secondary fuel pump lever which can give you tendonitis if you have to bleed your engine more than once in a day. Just open the bleed screw on the secondary, pump away and Bob's your uncle in a few short seconds. I installed one after my first sail of the season a few years ago on my old boat when I needed to change the fuel filter three times because of the gunk in the tank. Never again.

PS = I am not sure about this but the problem noted above of the engine needing to be given half a turn might still happen. I am not sure if the engine stopping in the wrong place means only that the lift pump won't work or if it means it won't bleed at all. It didnt happen to me but that might have been just luck
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 08:29   #12

Hi sck5. Do you have a reference for that Racor primary with a built in pump? Thanks.
Old 23-10-2017, 08:44   #13

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

I don't know about other engines, but the Yanmar GM series engine uses so little fuel that the mechanical lift pump it small. It therefore takes lots and LOTS of strokes to get the air out if you are coming out of a filter change. It helps to partially fill the filter bowl before returning it to its place. Bleeding on through to the injectors, although that isn't usually necessary, takes even more strokes to deliver fuel to the other side of the engine.
The only answer is to keep pumping till you see air bubbles. It is true that the pump lever inside the engine sometimes ends up at the high spot, making the stroke shorter. If such is the case, turning the engine just a bit, as suggested, will relieve that problem.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 08:49   #14

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
I always install one of those squeeze bulbs in line with the fuel line ahead of the Racors. Isolate it with two three way valves although probably not necessary. Sure makes charging the Racors and bleeding the system much easier.
Same here. Got one attached to my racor filter.

Like the OP, I find that my little fuel lift pump lever does nothing. The bulb is a godsend, and makes bleeding the fuel system super quick.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 08:55   #15

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Here you go

Defender.com Search Results: racor with priming pump
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, lift