Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 00:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
"Lucas CAV" sedimenter or agglomerator or what is this and what does it do..?

Sorry about this what may be a really stupid question, but I find it difficult to find specific information about this device.
I'm in a process of replacing my primary fuel filtering (first filter after the fuel tank) with something like Racor 500 dual "turbine" unit and maybe use the old parts for building some kind of a fuel polisher system. Maybe.

I have this "Lucas CAV" (sedimenter, or agglomerator, or what is this really? ) after the fuel tank, and then next towards the engine I have the CAV fuel filter/water separator with a glass bowl underneath.

But what does this all metal "Lucas CAV" actually do?? Does it require service? By the looks of it it looks like it has been a long time it was last touched. Is this device any good?

If I get something like the Racor 500 series dual turbine unit will that do at least the same thing as this, and more (I hope)? I hope can replace my current two CAV units with a racor dual unit.

Do I need this here in the tropics at all? Or is this just junk I should throw away?

The boat is new to me so I don't know. It has some kind of a electric connection at the bottom; is this for fuel heating or is it a water sensor / alarm? (Haven't tried to look yet where the wires lead to)

Here is what looks like a similar unit I found with Google image search:
http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=1805&image=2

Thanks,
Erik

PS. my engine is a 1989 Perkins Prima M50, 50HP, the main tank is 170L, aux tank is 140L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130621_134701.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	62957   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130621_134539.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	62958  

ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 11:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: "Lucas CAV" sedimenter or agglomerator or what is this and what does it do..?

This unit is nothing more than a water trap. It really only needs to be drained occasionally to ensure that there is no water in your fuel. If there is water this will drain out first and look "fatty". If you drain out clear diesel, simply shut the drain valve.

This unit, fitted before the CAV 296 filter was installed by someone who has previously had issues with water in his fuel and then vowed that it would never happen to him again. Keep it in line, it costs you nothing and you can just take it apart and clean it out every five years or so. It uses the same seals as the CAV 296 fuel filter.

The electrical connection probably goes to an alarm somewhere which should alert you to water in the fuel.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 11:11   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: "Lucas CAV" sedimenter or agglomerator or what is this and what does it do..?

"what is this really?"

like all Lucus products no ones knows, but dont let it near anything electrical.!!

yes put in the 500s , throw the CAV away. ( or put it on a tractor)

I have a box of them somewhere!!.

dave
Old 21-06-2013, 19:43   #4

LOL! nothing more than a water trap?
No magical properties or extraordinary capabilities?

Basically just the clear bowl at the bottom of Racor filter? Except it's not clear. And can't see through the metal. And it's not Racor.

Do you reckon the top part is identical to the CAV 296 filter / water separator? I could make this one similar?
Old 23-06-2013, 06:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

The top part is the same as the 296 filter. The reason that the bowl is not clear is that glass and plastic bowls are not USCG or Lloyds approved.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 07:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
The top part is the same as the 296 filter. The reason that the bowl is not clear is that glass and plastic bowls are not USCG or Lloyds approved.
Thanks NCboatrx, I presume these USCG and Lloyds requirements only apply to commercial vessels, not pleasure boats? Unless the insurer specifically insists on that?
Old 23-06-2013, 07:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

yes put in the 500s , throw the CAV away. ( or put it on a tractor)
+1

The inbuilt water trap on the Raycor 500 makes it a bit redundant and its another source of air in the fuel system.

You cannot use it for fuel polishing as it does not filter the fuel, which is one of the prime purposes of polishing.

If you do keep it open it up an check there is not a corse stainless steel mesh installed. Some similar units had this.
If it does have this the mesh needs mechanically cleaning occasionally.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 08:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
+1

The inbuilt water trap on the Raycor 500 makes it a bit redundant and its another source of air in the fuel system.

You cannot use it for fuel polishing as it does not filter the fuel, which is one of the prime purposes of polishing.

If you do keep it open it up an check there is not a corse stainless steel mesh installed. Some similar units had this.
If it does have this the mesh needs mechanically cleaning occasionally.
I'm thinking to use my two old CAV296's to make a cheap and cheerful portable DIY fuel polishing kit. Not really ideal for that either, but I suppose if I want to keep the cost down I might just as well give it a try. Maybe get a larger Racor unit later if I make a permanent installation (and get same size unit to use same size filters as the primary filter).
Old 23-06-2013, 08:49   #9

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

You guys are making a big issue out of a simple thing. Start at the source, clean your fuel tanks ! fitting super duper filters, taps, valves and pumps is just mental masturbation and shutting the door after the horse has bolted, clean the tank out first...stop wasting time effort and money there's nothing magical about Racor or any other filter except the price.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 08:52   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I'm thinking to use my two old CAV296's to make a cheap and cheerful portable DIY fuel polishing kit. Not really ideal for that either, but I suppose if I want to keep the cost down I might just as well give it a try. Maybe get a larger Racor unit later if I make a permanent installation (and get same size unit to use same size filters as the primary filter).
That sounds like a good plan. The polishing system will filter much more fuel the the main system, but if the polishing system gets clogged it is not a big deal.
The other annoyance of the cav system is slower filter changes with occasional air leaks if not done right, but this is less of an issue with a non critical system.
Old 23-06-2013, 09:04   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
You guys are making a big issue out of a simple thing. Start at the source, clean your fuel tanks ! fitting super duper filters, taps, valves and pumps is just mental masturbation and shutting the door after the horse has bolted, clean the tank out first...stop wasting time effort and money there's nothing magical about Racor or any other filter except the price.
Cleaning the fuel tanks is often the best way, but its a messy and on some boats a very difficult (or impossible without modifications) job.
Once clean they will not stay that way and the process needs to be repeated.

Polishing allows you to extend, or possibly eliminate the need to clean the tank. It also immediately starts treating the problem if a batch of dirt, or water laden fuel is taken on.
That's worth a filter and small pump to me, but it does depend on you set up.

My tank holds 1000 L of diesel, so removing the 50 bolts on the two inspection hatches pumping out the remaining fuel storing it somewhere and then mechanically cleaning out the tank is not trivial. Even though I have good access. My polishing system seems to be getting the tank cleaner each year.

That's one less job to do