Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 22:54   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: low oil pressure reading for Kubota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Before you do anything, get the oil pressure tested independent of the gauge as it's not unknown for the gauges to read incorrectly. I'm no mechanic, but a drop in oil pressure once warm, if the gauge proves accurate, usually indicates a problem with the big end bearings.
This would be the first thing I'd do. Oil pressure will drop after it warms up and if running at an idle. 400 hours is nothing on a diesel so I wouldn't think the bearings were worn enough to affect oil pressure. Sensors can go bad if sitting a long time. And the valve that shakey doug mentioned, I'd check that out since it is a known problem.

My old VW diesel use to drop from 100 psi to 25 psi once warmed up and at an idle. But under load would pick back up to 60 psi. But it did have 7000 hours.
Old 25-01-2012, 23:28   #17

Re: Low Oil Pressure Reading for Kubota

You can determine which sensor is setting off the alarm with a meter. The switch in question will have a short across it's terminals.

What is the temp gauge reading when the engine is warmed up? Up to 185 is normal. You said you have 100 kpa oil pressure when hot. If this is at idle, it might be OK. At cruising RPM, that's definitely abnormal.

Don't take the thermostat out. It's the resort of all mechanics who have no understanding of how cooling systems work. If the engine is overheating you can change it.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote