Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:10   #1

Location: Home base is Savannah, GA, but we cruise the East Coast and Caribbean
Boat: Lagoon 410 - PRIMA
Looking for Used SD40 Saildrives

We have experienced severe electrolysis, which has damaged the casings of the SD40 saildrives on our 2001 Lagoon 410 catamaran. The yard wants to sell us brand new whole units, to the tune of $15K! We've asked about just replacing the casings to the lower units, which is what is damaged, but they say there are none available in the States. Anyone know of a source for used components like these?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47   #2

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
check with the consignment shop run by the shipstore at new england boatworks in portsmouth, Ri. from what I remember we took one off a boat that was getting repowered and it's sitting there complete, or contact David Resare, Starboard Marine 401 226 4575
procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Exclamation Used Yanmar Saildrive sourcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primacat View Post
We have experienced severe electrolysis, which has damaged the casings of the SD40 saildrives on our 2001 Lagoon 410 catamaran. The yard wants to sell us brand new whole units, to the tune of $15K! We've asked about just replacing the casings to the lower units, which is what is damaged, but they say there are none available in the States. Anyone know of a source for used components like these?
Try the following I know they had two great looking complete used SD 20s in stock on April 16. They had been pulled out of a cat that was converted to electric drive. Price for both would be much less. Less than 4k for both.

They may have some others or know where to get them. Good people.

Dave Zutler
www.sailorman.com
350 E. State Rd. 84
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-522-6716
800-523-0772

I have been following corrosion issues with Yanmar saildirves very closely for the last year. I would love to know more about what happened and see some photographs. You can PM me or contact me via Skype.

Hope this helps,

John

NTSB Trained, Surveyor, Educator/Trainer
ABYC Master Technician (Certified in Standards, Corrosion, Diesel Engines and Yacht Systems)
Old 07-05-2009, 11:39   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Im Wondering what caused so much electrolysis to ruin these so fast, these SD 20 saildrives lasts for ever- most of the time, Im asking because I have them and dont want to do what ever it is you have done -
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12   #5

Location: Home base is Savannah, GA, but we cruise the East Coast and Caribbean
Boat: Lagoon 410 - PRIMA
Reason for electrolysis nothing to do with Lagoon or saildrives

I want to make it clear that we don't think the electrolysis had anything to do with any faults of the boat itself. There was, apparently, much more electricity in the water where we have been keeping the boat than we thought--lots of large commercial traffic, possible problems with power on dock--so the moral is that we should have been checking our zincs much more often. Learn from our expensive mistake and carefully inspect your zincs at least 2x year!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56   #6

Saildrive corrosion concerns

[quote=Primacat;281170]I want to make it clear that we don't think the electrolysis had anything to do with any faults of the boat itself. There was, apparently, much more electricity in the water where we have been keeping the boat than we thought--lots of large commercial traffic, possible problems with power on dock--so the moral is that we should have been checking our zincs much more often. Learn from our expensive mistake and carefully inspect your zincs at least 2x year![/quote]

Primacat,
I agree with you. My findings usually are the cathodic protection systems on the boats are not well thought out and of course folks not paying attention to how fast their anodes are wasting or really understanding marine corrosion.

With proper cathodic protection and paying attention to the system there is no reason why the drives should not last for years.... but you do have to pay attention to them and your electrical system.

1. Do you have a galvanic isolator on your vessel and is it functioning properly?
2. What type of propellers do you have on your vessel?
3. Have you had a corrosion survey done so you know for sure what the problem was? If not I would stongly suggest you have one done.

Your vessel presents some interesting corrosion concerns and solutions.

Did you have any luck with www.sailorman.com?

John

NTSB Trained, Surveyor, Educator/Trainer
ABYC Master Technician (Certified in Standards, Corrosion, Diesel Engines and Yacht Systems)
Old 17-10-2011, 15:58   #7

Boat: SIMPSON SLIPSTREAM 15, 15mx8,5m SY FRITZ THE CAT
Send a message via MSN to fritz-the-cat
Re: Looking for used SD40 saildrives

A friend grounded the whole dock at Shelterbay marina, Panama over his two SD 50- after 6 month they where soft as biskits and broke away.....
Old 18-10-2011, 14:12   #8

Re: Looking for Used SD40 Saildrives

Dear JHJensen,
fritz-the-cat has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Looking for used SD40 saildrives - in the Engines and Propulsion Systems forum of Cruisers & Sailing Forums.
This thread is located at:
Looking for Used SD40 Saildrives - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Here is the message that has just been posted:
A friend grounded the whole dock at Shelterbay marina, Panama over his two SD 50- after 6 month they where soft as biskits and broke away.....

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
All the best,
Cruisers & Sailing Forums
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:
To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0768e864d8e6ee
To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...n&folderid=all
Reply Reply to all Forward
Reply |John H. Jensen,MS to Cruisers
show details 1:11 AM (15 hours ago)

I am a ABYC Master Tech with certs in Corrosion as well. At the moment I am at a conference in Washington DC with a bunch of other techs one of whom may know where you can locate some used drives in Fl. You can contact me JensenMaritime@Gmail.com. Your friend should also have a corrosion survey by a properly qualifiend technician, to make sure there are no other problems with with his electrical system or this could happen again to the replacment units.

He should also make sure to have quanity of replacment anodes on and have them checked often and replaced as needed. I can emphasize enough that your corrosion control system be checked to up grade and correct thing so does not have this happen again.

If you would like to speak to me during this week through friday night I can be reached at 703-723-9300 Room 120 after 2100hours (9pm) eastern time in the Unighted States. Sorry I don't cell phone access a the moment.
Do give my email address to your friend and have him at least send his contact info to me and I will mention this problem to morrow when we all meet in the morning and see if we can't you pointed in the right direction to solve your fiends problems.

Sincerely,
John H. Jensen
Attending Surveyor,
Jensen Maritime Group
JensenMaritime@gmail.com
- Hide quoted text -

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Cruisers & Sailing Forums <support@cruisersforum.com> wrote:
Dear JHJensen,
fritz-the-cat has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Looking for used SD40 saildrives - in the Engines and Propulsion Systems forum of Cruisers & Sailing Forums.
This thread is located at:
Looking for Used SD40 Saildrives - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Here is the message that has just been posted:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
All the best,
Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Tags
electrolysis, sd40, yanmar, saildrive