Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2014, 09:03   #1

Looking for a used/new 4-108 or Other Repower

I have a 73 Morgan 41 O/I that needs a new heart.
Current 4-107 Westerbeke is toast.
The kitty is not flush so I'd like to get the most value for my dollar.
Thoughts/recommendations/engines/transmissions??
Thank you.
Eddiefuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:28   #2

I have a yanmar 66ho with tranny for sale in sarasota florida
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:29   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Looking for a used/new 4-108 or other repower

Stick with the same basic engine block (Perkins Westerbeke), so you can use your old transmission, mounts etc. This will keep the cost down for sure. I noticed that new engine dealers are sometimes collecting old engines and doing an OVHL then re-selling. Could be a good savings there.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:07   #4

How bad is the 4-107? can it be rebuilt? Where are you? I think there a couple of members onthis forum that rebuild Perkins.
There are two used engines on ebay, both very low hours, one fresh water engine. $2500-3500.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perkins-4-10...#ht_309wt_1001

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:36   #5

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

If I can do it anyone can do it :-)
The engine was a freebee used as an refrigeration engine on a fishing boat. I got the bellhousing and adaptor plates from a guy that was switching from diesel to electric propulsion. The transmission was original to the boat. The starter and all the external stuff came from s/v Alchemy here in San Diego when he repowered because of a cracked head.
I've used or sold everything from that engine except for the engine block. It would be a great start for a 107 rebuild.
S/V Chasing Summer: Perkins 4-107 engine
http://chasingsummer-s42.blogspot.co...ngine-day.html

Perkins 4-107 ... no such thing as toast unless you've sent a rod through the block ! ! ! With a little shopping around you can get all the parts you need to rebuild. Also, Hill Heads in Seattle can machine out and press in new hardened seats in the head. Also, in Seattle is Northland Diesel for rebuilding your injector pump. And don't forget Stewart Marine for the gasket kit and misc parts.
Old 21-04-2014, 11:28   #6

Boat: Tartan 40

I know someone else who has a 4-107 as well that may need replacement. What engines fit well? I heard Beta makes some with adaptors that make the mounts compatible?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 12:46   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

How close to Hawaii are you?
Old 22-04-2014, 13:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If there isn't much money to spend, overhauling the existing engine is the least cost. Unless the block has some damage that can't economically repaired, that engine can be rebuilt almost forever. An engine kit for a 4-107 engine is about $500. That's new sleeves, pistons, gaskets and seals. It usually comes with valve seals and new copper injector washers. The seals you give to the head rebuilder who will do the valves, seats, etc., and probably cost less than $500. Rebuild manuals are available and are how most "diesel" mechanics learned particular engines.
I have a 4-108 on a generator and it's an easy rebuild after the head, pan and accessories are off. Mine is an early 70's and the crank is still standard. I'm on a power boat and probably have more room that you do, but if you're considering changing engines, you are pulling it anyway. On some engines you can disconnect the shaft and rotate one end up on the motor mounts to get easier access to the pan, and bearings. That's how I do my Detroit mains. In my youth I also jacked and blocked up engines for overhaul, but be careful on the water.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 14:11   #9

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

I would caution you when it comes to the head. Don't just take to any shop and say, "here grind or lap the valves and put in these new seal." ... The valves on the head on my engine had been ground so many times they were way out of spec. This causes low compression and smoking. You'll be disappointed and have wasted money. Take the head off and turn it over and mesure the depth of the valve below the head surface. You can buy a cheap verneer caliper and that's good enough for checking the seat depth on the head. Intake & Exhaust 0.24 - 0.48 ... mine read 0.60. As stated in my pervious post I sent the head to Hill Heads in Seattle and the machined out the old seat and pressed in a new Factory Replacement seat. It's harder than the original. I think it cost about $350 plus shipping.
You know, that could be all that's wrong with your engine.
Old 23-04-2014, 21:10   #10

The engine sat in saltwater up to the starter for a couple of months and i pulled 9 liters of saltwater out of it that had been there a year. So, I believe her to be dead. I'm not sure the condition of the bolt on components. The boat is in Panama so easy access is problematic. I am beginning to have more confidence in a used engine with low hours or a rebuilt 4-108. Perkins is saying that they will no longer provide support for the engine but I'm not sure exactly what that means....I suppose it means they see more profit in providing new engines.
What do folks think about low hr engines used intermittently over the decades? Does the lack of operation(lubricity) cause much more rapid wear?
Old 25-04-2014, 21:06   #11

Corrosion and acids do the damage. Acid will kill the bearings and corrosion will kill the crank journals.
So you drained 9 liters of water from the oil sump, or was that 9 liters total, oil and water? How did it get in there, through the breather? Which would mean I guess, the engine was under water? I suppose 2 bad seals in the raw water pump could do that after a while or maybe a really bad rear main seal. 9 liters of water with 6 quarts of oil on top is probably right up to the crank. 9 total would be below the crank, me thinks. If it were 9 liters + 6 quarts of oil, you are probably right, the crank at least, is toast without a re-grind. All the other important stuff might be OK, or perhaps repairable.
Where in Panama are you? If you are in one of the popular areas like Colon or Panama City, you have more choices. Panama might be 3rd world but you can get your engine fixed down there.
That said I would have reservations about buying a already"rebuilt" engine from just anybody up here or down there. If you were in control of the operation you might have better luck.
Perkins still sells gaskets, bearings, cylinders etc. etc. but yeah, no support other than parts.
Old 25-04-2014, 21:19   #12

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Check out Parst4Engines in the UK. They have good prices on Perkins parts and will ship anywhere. If I was rebuilding I would put in new valves among other things.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 07:50   #13

Re: Looking for a used/new 4-108 or Other Repower

Guy, I have not idea how the water got into the crankcase. It sounds like it could have come in in different ways. I'm in Bocas in Panama. Transport to Panama City is doable. I can get another "low hour" engine down to Panama City pretty reasonably. I plan to pull the current engine/transmission in the water...and then clean/paint the engine compartment. While I'm doing that I can discover what transmission I have and order a replacement.

Then haul her and replace/repack the stern gland, replace the carrier bearing and take a look at the shaft/prop. While out I can inspect the other through hulls, check for blisters and do a bottom job.
Resplash...then align the shaft/tranny/engine.
Thoughts?
I'll get some money into the old girl, but I'm starting to get attached to her and am getting more antsy to go sailing.
Ed
Old 28-04-2014, 08:04   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuego View Post
What do folks think about low hr engines used intermittently over the decades? Does the lack of operation(lubricity) cause much more rapid wear?
I just bought a 27yr old boat who's engine had 484 hours on it. I have put 118 hours on it since then, over 100 of them in nine days in which it ran perfect and used less than a half a quart of oil, and doesn't leak a drop. I'm very happy with it.
I can get from this is not all engines suffer catastrophically from not being used.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:34   #15

Re: Looking for a used/new 4-108 or Other Repower

Ed: So they have a travel lift in Bocas now? You mention buying a replacement transmission. I can imagine getting the parts to ovhl your old trans but not a replacement.
Make sure your exhaust system was not the culprit.

Tags
repower