Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2015, 17:29   #16

Boat: 55 fleming
Re: Looking at boat with seized engine

Have you considered a short block? It would give you a rebuilt engine.

Old 10-02-2015, 19:43   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I bought my boat with a seized engine. I paid what I thought was a fair price knowing full well I intended to junk the engine and replaced it with a new Universal M25-XPB. Ther's nothing quite like buying a boat you love and putting a brand new engine in it. You only have to satisfy yourself. Do the math and see if it makes sense to you.

Old 10-02-2015, 21:44   #18

Boat: 1984 Phantom 32

As most of the others have said, from experience, I would assume the engine is stuffed and would allow the cost of a new / working replacement ehgine and fitting off be deducted from the asking price. Also any electronics or for that matter any boat related item that you don't see actually working go into the same category. If the owner is keen to sell he will negotiate if not walk away, there's hundreds of boats for sale. Good luck
Old 11-02-2015, 05:30   #19

Boat: solaris 42 1978

exact same problem my 50 hp yanmar ,, pulled the injector pump the mechanic got salt water in my motor from the exhaust .. seized motor complete rebuild on a motor with 750 hours on it thanks to the incompetence of a mechanic ,, parts over a grand so far .. selling my solaris 42 at $45,000 right now listed here .. boat in panama republic of panama on a mooring ,, might take less if someone takes over finishes the rebuild ,,
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54   #20

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Lots of interesting info here.

Does anyone know any hints or clues to look for without disassembly?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:10   #21

If that is the boat for you, I have a M-25 taken froma Catalina 30 that has been completely rebuilt new pistons/cylinder liners etc. with existing transmission sitting in my garage. Staight drop in exact replacement easy to install. Unfortunately, the engine is in Wisconsin, but could be shipped.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:53   #22
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I am considering going to look at a Catalina 30 whose major issue is a seized engine. I have talked to owner briefly. Sight unseen so far, but... if the engine can be freed up at low cost, it could be a bargain, but a complete rebuild is not financially viable. Hard to tell a diamond in the rough from a dog doo without seeing it in person of course.

Report is that the engine, a Universal M25 was running well, 900 hrs, then left sitting for 2 years or so (I always apply a multiplier) and no longer turns over. No overheating or catastrophic failure. I kind of know the different causes. Might be rings stuck from corrosion, a quick/easy in situ fix or saltwater back up the exhaust and completely shot pistons/bores and head, requiring pulling engine and a complete teardown. I know it is a Kubota at heart and fixing is straitforward, but not sure I want that involved of a project.

I have read some of the related threads. My question is one of approach. It is not yet my boat and I'd anticipate the owner will be reluctant to have me disassembling the engine on his boat, so pulling injectors or glowplugs is unlikely. Anyway to squirt some WD40 in the chambers thru the intake? I was thinking that pulling the rocker cover off would show which valves are open, maybe even allow me the see if they are stuck, a bad sign I would think. I expect to try a breaker bar on the crank nut and see if there is any wiggle. Maybe pull the exhaust hose if possible to see if there is water in it. Any other clues I can look for? Obviously, if I am negotiating, I'd like to keep the engine as a liability rather than fix it and have the price go up.
I would only consider that boat if the price was low enough to justify a replacement engine or if the owner hired a mechanic to put the engine in working condition.

If I were selling a boat I wouldn't allow a prospective buyer to take the engine apart. What if the prospective buyer makes things worse and doesn't buy the boat?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Good: if you rebuild/replace the engine you have a boat with a new engine and know what you have.
The Bad: the numbers need to add up and you have to be willing to work your way thru the re-engining.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 20:52   #24

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Went and looked at her today. Definitely not a diamond in the rough. Did not even touch the engine, a big chunk of rust. Bobstay disconnected and loose shrouds, no headsail. Interior a mess, no covers on the cushions, water on floor, leaks and rotten/delaminated plywood. Good project for someone else.

Next...
Old 13-02-2015, 22:48   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Went and looked at her today. Definitely not a diamond in the rough. Did not even touch the engine, a big chunk of rust. Bobstay disconnected and loose shrouds, no headsail. Interior a mess, no covers on the cushions, water on floor, leaks and rotten/delaminated plywood. Good project for someone else.

Next...
Sounds like a good decision.
Old 13-02-2015, 22:53   #26

Boat: Catalina C-42

Quote:

Next...
Why do people do these things to a perfectly good boat? It just makes me sick...
Old 14-02-2015, 11:32   #27

I am not in the business of selling engines but I would ask $3900 for the M25 in my garage including like new transmission that was remanufactured from a pristine 1986 Great Lakes Catalina 30. I have another boat now so do not need it. Of course, it would have to be installed, but very easy if it was going right back into the same vintage model. There are plenty of complete freshwater Catalinas though that have been lightly used that would probably be a much better bet unless you like to turn a few bolts whch is about all it takes to repower a Catalina 30. Nearly everyone who sails these older boats for more than a couple of years acquires these skills.
Old 14-02-2015, 11:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
Why do people do these things to a perfectly good boat? It just makes me sick...
Rodney, I have no idea, but it happens. In 1987 we looked for a year for a C25 to replace our lovely C22. ARRRGGGHHH - we saw some relaly trashed boats. In 1997-8 we looked for a year at ONLY Catalina 34s (that's the boat we wanted) and saw some seriously neglected boats as well as some that had been blatantly trashed by POs - incredible examples of poor, shoddy and downright dangerous, as well as stupid work done.

Then we found our pristine boat and have had it for 17 of her 29 years.

Yes, it's truly scary, but I suppose one could say that of land dwellings/neighborhoods, too. Most of us "just don't go there."

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: