Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57   #1

Look what Santa left under the cockpit!

Installed a new Beta 38 in X, a Santa Cruz 50. We are anchored in Malakal Harbor, Palau (on the edge of nowhere in the western pacific). Ordered the engine by email from California. Paid by e-check. Arrived in four weeks by container ship via Hawaii and Guam. Beta 38 with a TMC60 gearbox. About $10,000 plus $250 freight. $5 duty. Borrowed Sam's pickup truck to fetch it from the port. Plopped it into a friend's dinghy with the help of a half-dozen local friends. Hoisted out of the dinghy and down the companionway in an afternoon. While waiting the weeks for it to arrive here I converted the 30 year old Pathfinder 50 diesel (VW) to a mooring, cleaned the 30 years of crud from the engine box, painted and varnished, made all the hoses and wires pretty, etc.

The gotcha's were:

* The speed and shift controls from the Edson pedestal are backwards from the Beta idea. But a little fooling around with the Beta Morse mounts solved that nicely.

* Rubber marine hoses are really hard to find here. I tried to be prepared but the Beta information on hose sizes is wrong. No big deal. Maybe the next island has some 22mm (7/8") hose.

* I had planned the engine mounts pretty carefully. Ordered some parts. made some others. But it turns out the rear mounts use M10x1.5 screws, but the forward M10x1.0 (fine thread). Grrrr, M10x1.0 is a trick to find among the coconut palms.

* Discovered while hooking up the alternator that the PERKO battery switch is either BOTH or OFF. Battery 1 and 2 are shorted inside. That explains why my start battery was often run down. Bugger!

* The Beta Exhaust is 2". The silenced/water lift unit looked like 2" but turned out to be 1 7/8". Hah! But a toiletpaper tube, ducktape, fiberglass and epoxy solved that overnight. Made a sweet fiberglass tube adaptor by moulding over the built-up tube.

So we be rockin' here. And the Beta is way smoother than that VW. I no longer need to chase all the pots and pans around the galley after starting the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beta38Installed.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	35442  
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Look what Santa left under the cockpit!

Swapping out an engine on the hard, with marine supply stores and cranes everywhere is difficult enough... but in the middle of nowhere, in the water? wow. McGuyver would be proud.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:32   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

daddle,

Very impressive engine install. Not many people can do what you did in the middle of paradise on the hook.

Happy New Year
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'

Congratulations! It looks like you did a fine instal job. I am still dithering with mine, -10 F. has really put the project on hold for now.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

daddle...you da man!...I rebuilt my Westerbeke W-46 with all kinds of shops and suppliers around me and it was a major PITA. My hats off to you sir!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit