Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 00:57   #16
Kai Nui

All very good points, and the Yanmars, as I have said, have treated me very well. After twenty... years of working on diesels, repair and parts availability are not things I take lightly, however, regardless of the brand, searching for a factory authorized repair facility is not very practical in most of the destinations that are of interest to me. As for the more power from the same displacement school, as I am sure you know, a lot of power can be developed out of a 500 or 700 cc engine, without a problem if the operater has some understanding of how to run it.
Back when, a lot of us ran 1693 CATs in our trucks, turned up to 500 plus hp. They would last some drivers 300,000, and others a million. By this I am putting a lot of the responsibility of engine life on the operater.
Considering power to weight, and just as importantly, power to displacement on naturally aspirated engine, Lombardinis fall into the realm of all of their competetors.
And Pat, I am set on the ym20 as my other choice, but I sure would like to talk with someone who has run one of these things.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:18   #17

I brought up the 2GM because there are about 60 left in the system. They are gone for good after that, won't pass '06 emissions. I've run the 3YM30, I don't see any real benefit yet.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:45   #18
Kai Nui

Not ready to purchase until January. Still glassing parts of the hull. I put a new 3GM30 in an Angleman I had in 1999. That engine was perfect as long as I owned the boat, and the current owner is still just as happy with it as I was.
I do need to decide on the engine soon, so I can build the engine bed.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I am not sure how those guy's work out pricing, but some CEO must be financing one hell of a boat out of their parts. Plus, I don't know if this is just because there are so many of these motors out there, but whenever I see some motor being worked on, the part the guy is carrying down the marina is usually painted in that blue'ish green colour. And when ever I see some boat owner that is begging at the entrance of the marina for donations to the poor and needy fund, it is usually because he has just recieved a bill for the repairs to the Blue'ish green motor.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 00:28   #20
Kai Nui

Hey... It's only money, and we all have too much of that right?
Old 09-08-2006, 22:49   #21

Boat: Halvorsen 26
Hi Kai Nui. I have just discovered the cruisers forum while looking for opinion on the Lombardini engine. Like you I am considering repowering a boat and was attracted by both the size and the low price of the Lambardini.

My background is with yachts but have recently become involved with a pretty 54 year old timber motor cruiser. This Halvorsen 26 is something of a collectors item here in Australia and the original Chrysler ACE petrol engine looks like dying one day soon.

We saw the 40HP Lombardini at the recent Sydney Boat Show and were impressed but they are new in this part of the world and the worry is service , spare parts etc.

Anyway having seen your recent exchange on the forum I felt compelled to write to you. Good luck with your boat and I will be interested to know how you decide to go with your choice of engine

Regards,

Mike
bilgola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:53   #22
Kai Nui

I went the conventional route and bought a Yanmar 3YM30 from Never Monday. I have always had good luck with Yanmars, and was not willing to gamble on this engine. It sounds good, but with no one stepping up and saying "I had one for years and..." I decided to put my money on the proven engine. Now all I need is time to install it
Old 09-08-2006, 22:55   #23
Kai Nui

And... Wheels, That is because there are so many of them out there. Of course, you could be refering to a Volvo
Old 10-08-2006, 06:01   #24

Boat: Alura 30
I have had Lombardini as power plant at my farm but they were air cooled so I don't know about marine engines.I can tell you that I have several Kubotas Tractors with 5000 hours and + in a very rough environement,heat,dust,abuse,they will run for ever as long as you have a good maintenance practice.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Heeeey, were did my post go? I can't have hit the right button.
Yep I was refering to Volvo. I must have been replying to a post several back. Yanmar is a great wee motor with good world wide service and parts availability.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 14:26   #26

Boat: Privilege 37
Kubota based engines (Beta and nanni) are very popular in UK as being very reliable replacement engines, with worldwide parts availability at prices that dont give the bank manager kittens (more than can be said for volvo, and yanmar are not at the cheap end of spares prices either.)
I certainly would not consider purchase of an engine by a manufacturer trying to break into a new market area. If they dont make the sales quota and decide to pull the plug, spares will all need to be imported specially, and will not be cheap!
Old 10-10-2015, 23:45   #27

re: Lombardini Diesel

This thread is a bit old but i thought I had better add an observation.
We bought two lombardini ldw1003m last year and have spent a season wishing we hadn't. Vibration is terrible. Totally unnaceptable such that we have broken about 6 engine mountings! All this happens at idle speed. Engines do not seem to have enough power at idle. They do not stall but go into some kind of frenzied spasm when gear engaged. Dissenagage and the spasm carries on. Only running smooth again when throttle opened in neutral to about 1150 rpm. Nothing useful has come from lombardini. They suggest stronger mounts but this simply masks the trouble. The engines dont shake, but the whole boat does!
We will be removing these units this winter if anyone wants two completely useless engines?
I don't suppose any of you guys might have a solution? here's hoping
magomerlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44   #28

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Re: Lombardini Diesel

My experience is the opposite. I have 2 Lombardini 2204 in cheorae about 56 hp. I have had a good experience with them. Ran them non stop from grand Cayman to Ft Lauderdale when we had a problem with the rig 100+ hours non stop, except for a hour or 2 for the starboard to cool down when we lost an alternator belt.
I replaced the engine mounts from the originals when I bought the boat apart from that just routine maintenance. Parts in the states are a pain. I get mine directly from Italy via a business associate in Milan.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:58   #29

hi Paul, thanks for posting. Why did you change the supplied mounts? cheers, jim
magomerlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 15:19   #30

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Rubber had deteriorated and separated on 1 of the mounts thought it was prudent to replace all.

Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel