Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05   #1

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 31
Locating Raw Water Strainer, MD2030

I understand why it makes sense to locate a raw strainer above the water line, but if I do that, there are parts of the engine that will be much harder to get to and work on, mainly the charging system, the regulator and a fuse block. How bad an idea is it to mount a Groco raw water strainer near the engine mounts which are below the water line? See attached pic which shows the raw water feed hose to the impeller (now rebuilt).

The boat is a Niagara 31 that was repowered with a Volvo Penta MD2030. The boat didn't have a raw water strainer when I bought it last year. Berthed in the PNW, motor runs strong.

Thanks, this is my first boat with an inboard diesel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramble raw water strainer location.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	54322
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Locating Raw Water Strainer, MD2030

I think it depends on the strainer. For example, while Groco recommends the ARG strainers should be installed above the water line, installation below the water line seems acceptable. One advantage of installation below the waterline is that it avoids the possibility of air leaks, which could lead to engine overheating.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32   #3

Is the concern below the waterline about breakage? I think most of mine have been below....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen strainers mounted everywhere. Get a quality one and place it where you can service it.

The big(-ger) factor IMHO is to make sure you have easy and fast access to the intake valve.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I think it depends on the strainer. For example, while Groco recommends the ARG strainers should be installed above the water line, installation below the water line seems acceptable. One advantage of installation below the waterline is that it avoids the possibility of air leaks, which could lead to engine overheating.
One other disadvantage of above the waterline installation is that it makes the raw water pump harder to prime. But you should check the manufacturer's installation instructions. For example, I vaguely remember that Vetus strainers should be mounted above the water line. Forespar recommends (but does not seem to require) that their marelon strainer should be mounted at least 12" above the water line.
Old 09-02-2013, 13:08   #6

I would imagine all the "above th waterline" recommendations are a "Cover Your A**" move by those companies. "what your boat sunk? did you mount it (our plastic POS) above the waterline? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would imagine all the "above th waterline" recommendations are a "Cover Your A**" move by those companies. "what your boat sunk? did you mount it (our plastic POS) above the waterline? :>)
You're probably right. But I'd go with a manufacturer who stands by their product without CYA weasel wording.

By the way, I have a groco strainer. It's mounted so that the cap is just above the waterline, with the inlet and outlet just below.
Old 09-02-2013, 13:49   #8

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
By the way, I have a groco strainer. It's mounted so that the cap is just above the waterline, with the inlet and outlet just below.
Well, I figured the concern was either the plastic bowl breaking or maybe if you wanted to clean the strainer and removed the lid but forgot to turn off the valve before you opened it up, the consequences wouldn't be so damp.

I'm encouraged that other strainers on what I assume are boats still afloat are below water line. Sometimes it seems you have to balance best practices with what seems to work best on your boat.

Tags
md2030, water