Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 18:32   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
LH and RH gear ratios in Volvo MS15A transmission -Can I use any of them to go ahead?

Hello everyone.

Volvo says that this tranny has a 2.63:1 ratio for "right handed rotation" and a 1.95:1 ratio for "left handed rotation". As far as I know (and unlike Yanmar) they do not say which one of the two ratios is "forward" and which one is "reverse"

One boat I know has a right-handed propeller so that when it goes forward the 2.63:1 ratio applies and when it goes astern the 1.95:1 ratio applies (this means that with a fixed-blade prop chosen to go forward you get lousy rpm going back).

Another boat *seems* to have it the other way around with a left-handed propeller so that when it goes forward the 2.63:1 ratio applies and when it goes astern the 1.95:1 ratio applies. This means you need a smaller prop to go forward and it is more balanced forward vs astern.

My crazy question is: Is it possible to use this transmission either way or will it suffer if you use it to go forward in the "longer" 1.95:1 ratio using a left-handed prop?

I look forward to some wisdom.

C
__________________

__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 10:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,586
Images: 240
Re: LH and RH gear ratios in Volvo MS15A transmission -Can I use any of them to go ah

Standard recommendation is for left hand rotation for forward.
Pg 39 ➥ http://www.polarpowerinc.com/volvo_p...ion_manual.pdf
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 14:32   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Standard recommendation is for left hand rotation for forward.
Pg 39 ➥ http://www.polarpowerinc.com/volvo_p...ion_manual.pdf
Thanks; since my post I came across this lhat calls for *right* hand prop for the MS1
__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 15:05   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Standard recommendation is for left hand rotation for forward.
Pg 39 ➥ http://www.polarpowerinc.com/volvo_p...ion_manual.pdf
Thanks a lot; this instalation manual in fact calls for use of *right* hand prop for the MS15 in p40; the left hand prop recommendation in p39 is for saildrives .. Does anyone know if Volvo's recommendation of a spcific hand of prop is b
__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 15:09   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Standard recommendation is for left hand rotation for forward.
Pg 39 ➥ http://www.polarpowerinc.com/volvo_p...ion_manual.pdf
Thanks a lot; this instalation manual in fact calls for use of *right* hand prop for the MS15 in p40; the left hand prop recommendation in p39 is for saildrives .. Does anyone know if Volvo's recommendation of a specific hand of prop is required to avoid damage to the transmission (as other brands that have a specific direction to be used going forward and the other one is only for exceptional use) or some other reason?
C
__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 16:53   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Re: LH and RH gear ratios in Volvo MS15A transmission -Can I use any of them to go ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Hello everyone.

Volvo says that this tranny has a 2.63:1 ratio for "right handed rotation" and a 1.95:1 ratio for "left handed rotation". As far as I know (and unlike Yanmar) they do not say which one of the two ratios is "forward" and which one is "reverse"

One boat I know has a right-handed propeller so that when it goes forward the 2.63:1 ratio applies and when it goes astern the 1.95:1 ratio applies (this means that with a fixed-blade prop chosen to go forward you get lousy rpm going back).

Another boat *seems* to have it the other way around with a left-handed propeller so that when it goes forward the 2.63:1 ratio applies and when it goes astern the 1.95:1 ratio applies. This means you need a smaller prop to go forward and it is more balanced forward vs astern.

My crazy question is: Is it possible to use this transmission either way or will it suffer if you use it to go forward in the "longer" 1.95:1 ratio using a left-handed prop?

I look forward to some wisdom.

C
I'm wondering if you might be confused about the ratios. The 2.63 means the engine turns 2.63 times for every 1 time the prop turns. That is intended to be the forward gear.

The MS15A is probably a ZF15MA. ZF refers to the 2.63 ratio as "forward". They also say this gear needs an oil cooler if using more than 25kW in position "B" (1.95:1, or "reverse").

So it sounds like it is possible to run it backwards (with an oil cooler) but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Sailboats typically benefit from larger, slower-turning props.

http://www.tadiesels.com/transmissio...s/ZF_15_MA.pdf
__________________
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 21:41   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post

I'm wondering if you might be confused about the ratios. The 2.63 means the engine turns 2.63 times for every 1 time the prop turns. That is intended to be the forward gear.

The MS15A is probably a ZF15MA. ZF refers to the 2.63 ratio as "forward". They also say this gear needs an oil cooler if using more than 25kW in position "B" (1.95:1, or "reverse").

So it sounds like it is possible to run it backwards (with an oil cooler) but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Sailboats typically benefit from larger, slower-turning props.

http://www.tadiesels.com/transmissio...s/ZF_15_MA.pdf
Great stuff. Thank you! Now I know there is a real reason not to use the thing backwards. I knew that for Yanmar but had not seen it written for Volvos.

There is no confusion regarding the meaning of the ratios. I did swap the numbers for the second boat when I wrote the post though. The one reason to use the 2.63 ratio for reverse would be to let the engine reach more rpm in reverse for those infrequent but important situations when you need lots of power astern. The differential pitch in the Maxprops can be made to adjust for that but I did not know how much to trust that...Note that the relative ratio between forward and astern ratios is the opposite in Volvo than Yanmar which means that in Volvo shaft trannies you do not get high rpm astern unlike in Yanmar... Hence the exploration of options.

Back to the ZF info that is very useful. Do you think that the innards are the same even though the housing is not identical? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

C
__________________

__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gear, head, transmission, volvo

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.