Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 11:35   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Lehr Propane 5 HP outboard

So I was reading the Merc 3.5 HP thread and was interested in the carb problems of small 4 stroke engines. I'm wondering if using a propane outboard will circumnavigate the carburetor clogging problems?

https://www.amazon.ca/Lehr-Propane-O.../dp/B00A9ZZU7O
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 05:18   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Lehr Propane 5 HP outboard

They are the solution to bad gas. I have one and bought it after spending all kinds of money keeping my Yamaha 4HP 4 stroke running. I had a little initial problem getting it tuned right, but after that it starts in the first or second pull. I drilled a hole in the side of my plastic cowling to access the bleed valve and keep a large paper clip with me. Every time I use it, I put the paper clip in the bleed valve hole, slightly press, and that bleeds the air from the line. That works for the can of propane until change if I m using regularly. If I put it up or change the propane, I just rebleed and start again. That gets the propane fully in the line and it is ready to go. I run at about half throttle as that pushes my air floor Avon 280 dinghy at about 4 knots with two of us and it will burn about 45 minutes to an hour per 1lb can of propane. I keep spare propane in a 4inch pvc tube with a cap on one end and a clean out fitting on the other and I can open the clean out when I need a new can of fuel.

I’d never go,back to,gas unless we go back to gas without the additives like we used in 2004 when I bought the Yamaha. Worked great for several years, then could hardly keep it running.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 07:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Lehr Propane 5 HP outboard

Before I retired I sold Lehr Outboards in my store. The early ones had quality control problems but they seem to have fixed that.

I own a 2.5 and a 15. I bought the 2.5 to replace a small Suzuki. The carb on the Suzuki kept getting clogged. That’s not a problem with propane. The Lehr can sit for months and still start on the second pull.

You do need to know the paper clip trick that J Clark described. You don’t have to do that every time, just if the engine hasn’t been used in a while. It’s easy.

I would run a 5 off a larger remote tank. It will only produce 5 hp for about half an hour on one of the disposable tanks. Of course it will last longer at a lower throttle setting. I recommend the 11 pound fiberglass tank.
Old 29-07-2018, 08:34   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And all the standard precautions to ensure no chance of the gas getting below.

Boom bad
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 09:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
And all the standard precautions to ensure no chance of the gas getting below.

Boom bad
Correct, treat it like gasoline.
Old 29-07-2018, 10:06   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

HopCar is the one who told me about the paper clip. I’d highly recommend the Lehr. Bought mine in January 2014.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 18:03   #7
O32

Boat: Ontario 32

Don't know anything about it, except what I have read (Google it), but the Tohatsu Portable 5HP is another Propane 5HP outboard.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

I have found that if I use premium gas (no ethanol here) and always run the carb dry on our old OMC outboards, starting is reasonably good. It would be better if we used the engines more.

However, electric or propane for our small boats does sound attractive.
O32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 21:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O32 View Post
Don't know anything about it, except what I have read (Google it), but the Tohatsu Portable 5HP is another Propane 5HP outboard.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

I have found that if I use premium gas (no ethanol here) and always run the carb dry on our old OMC outboards, starting is reasonably good. It would be better if we used the engines more.

However, electric or propane for our small boats does sound attractive.
That Tohatsu is a nice looking engine. I’m glad to see other manufacturers starting to make propane engines.

It is about ten pounds heavier than the Lehr. I don’t know why that should be.

It does have a compression release that the Lehr doesn’t have. This should make it easier for women or children to pull start it.

A propane engine should have a higher compression ratio than a gasoline engine as the octane rating of propane is higher than gasoline. This can make them harder to pull over than a similar size gasoline engine.
Old 30-07-2018, 00:39   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
That Tohatsu is a nice looking engine. I’m glad to see other manufacturers starting to make propane engines.

It is about ten pounds heavier than the Lehr. I don’t know why that should be.

It does have a compression release that the Lehr doesn’t have. This should make it easier for women or children to pull start it.

A propane engine should have a higher compression ratio than a gasoline engine as the octane rating of propane is higher than gasoline. This can make them harder to pull over than a similar size gasoline engine.
That's interesting! How do you use the compression release to help starting? On a hand crank diesel you have a very heavy flywheel to help you get the first full compression stroke... do the o/bs have such too?

Jim
Old 30-07-2018, 06:53   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That's interesting! How do you use the compression release to help starting? On a hand crank diesel you have a very heavy flywheel to help you get the first full compression stroke... do the o/bs have such too?

Jim
On the larger Lehr engines which have a compression release it works automatically. I don’t know exactly how, but about half way through the pull, you can feel the compression increase. I guess the weight of the fly wheel, once it’s spinning helps carry it over compression. The compression isn’t as high as a diesel so the lighter flywheel can help.

Tags
outboard, propane