Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 17:21   #16

Boat: South Coast 36
Re: Leaks & now more Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Wrong hose and those short sections will stress the hose leading to premature failure.

You mentioned bulging before. That is a sign of a hose forced to carry a bending load. Better to loop hose with a longer section so that it can avoid being stressed. All hose has a minimum bend radius.

You need to use wire reinforced black hose. Like Trident marine water hose. You need to use good quality all stainless hose clamps. Not those cheap thin auto store clamps.

The clear hose you chose is only designed for luke warm water. Good hose is tough to get on and off for a reason.

Use spit, glycerine or a little detergent when installing. And dont clamp the hose twisted. That also stresses it unduly.

As a rule of thumb any clear hose should never be used on your engine, transmission or hydraulics.

Did you check the condition of the barbs when you replaced the hose? Smooth tube (unbarbed) wont retain any pressurised hose.

Is that a thru hull I spy there with clear hose and a garden fitting? That looks like a disaster waiting to happen. That chain looks like a finger remover too.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hey

well spied, and that intake section did have a black hose with a bad kink in it and when the Mechanics replaced it at the marine place that is what they replaced it with. You would think that the would know better. You would think that after doing a major over haul and $5,000 latter on the motor only 2 months ago that these would have been addressed.
Mocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23   #17

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking View Post
Hi Cheechako

yes, it is the clear hose. I had black hose on there before which all of a sudden developed a leak and were bulging. The guru at the marine place said I needed this clear hose. But it is starting to sound like that it is not the right one.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:29   #18

Ah yes, the guru at the marine store. Standard plumbing hoses and automotive hose shouldn't be used in Marine application, there are numerous reasons for this.
Careful taking advise from marine store employees, they usually aren't experienced enough to know the differences.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:50   #19

That clear hose is amazingly tough, but still not a good use there. I have used it for fuel vent hose and it works great.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 14:42   #20

Boat: South Coast 36

Hi All

thank you all for your help on this, I got the attached blue hose from the hose place at WEtherill PArk as suggested by "Shakey Doug" and all the leaks are now gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151107_133028_resized.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	112449  
Mocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 15:20   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good outcome!
And thanks for thefeedback, it is good to hear when these problems get resolved.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 15:38   #22

Looks better, did you notice how compressed that orange hose is on the attachment hose barb?
Try to always match the hose inner diameter with the fitting your attaching to as this type of mismatch will weaken the attachment point and could shear off the hose.
Clamping is important as well, if you have the proper hose and clamp size, you don't have to over tighten the clamp, it cuts into the hose material.

Tags
leaks