Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2014, 07:09   #1

Leaking Transmission on Ford Lehman 120 hp

Hi, I'm very new to this forum but I'm looking for information on what may be causing transmission oil to leak from the bell housing of a Ford Lehman engine coupled to a Borg Warner manual transmission. I am a volunteer working in marine rescue and we've just placed a sailor into a safe anchorage area due to transmission problems. His engine/transmission as above, loses all of its oil in around 30 minutes apparently out of the front seal of the tranny. Can anyone give me pointers on how lare a repair this is and are the seals standard or special items. Thanks Arty
arty woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 07:43   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Leaking Transmission on Ford Lehman 120 hp

Welcome to the forum. The hardest part is removing the reduction gear from behind the engine. If you get a good manual and have a clean place to work, it is not a big deal. However if you are having that problem, it may be a symptom of a bigger issue.
Old 20-06-2014, 09:03   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Salt collects in the lip of the trans input shaft seal and corrodes the shaft. There is a part called a "Speedy Sleeve" that will save the day. It's a super thin little thing that you slide over the shaft and gives the seal a fresh surface to run on. Often you can just pull the old seal tap on the sleeve with Locktite and install the new seal all without pulling the input shaft from the trans.
By the way, this is not some Mickey Mouse thing. All bearing houses carry these parts.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 14:23   #4

Thanks for both those replies gentlemen, the owner has since informed me that the tranny is a Borg Warner Velvet Drive, model 1017010 Rat 2-101 Serial Number No 7192 if that makes any difference. I've used speedy sleeves many times in the past and they can be lifesavers in times like these. The workplace could have your dinner eaten off the floor, absolutely spotless. I would imagine that the biggest issue will be how much the drive shaft can be pushed rearwards before fouling the rudder. How much room is required to lift the transmission clear and free from the engine, 100mm?
Old 20-06-2014, 17:08   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you can move your prop shaft side to side a bit once you have shoved it back all the way is key. The trans will need to move straight back about 3" then it can me turned and brought back askew beside the prop shaft. The input shaft needs to clear the pilot bearing/hole and the drive plate on the flywheel. The coupling on the shaft might need to come off if you are short of room.
Your engine room is clean as a whistle? Nice.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 02:27   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Arty, This is a failed seal. The transmission needs to be removed and the seal replaced. They are common seals But someone that knows the transmission needs to replace it. While it is apart, it's best to get a seal kit and replace all of the seals at the same time. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 15:42   #7

Thanks for all your help gentlemen, much appreciated

Tags
lehman, transmission