Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 09:32   #1

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Leaking Fuel Banjo Fitting

My 1982 2GM had a small diesel leak, around the fuel lift pump, when I fired it up this spring. Looked like the pump was leaking, as diesel was dripping from it. However, it turned out to be leaking at the banjo fitting on the output side of the pump. I tightened the banjo bolt about 1/8 or 1/4 turn and the leak stopped. Worked fine for 2 months. Same thing happened again, so I tightened it again. Worked fine again for a month or so.
Now doing it again, and I am afraid to tighten the bolt anymore, for fear of breaking it, etc.

Do you think that a new set of copper washers will fix it? If so, what size are they?? My Yanmar manual had pictures of them, but i could nbot find the size!

Are they available / common at auto parts stores, or is this a dealer item?
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:13   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Metric

Some Copper washers are available on the market. But they want you to buy them in bulk. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and pay the dealer and get some extras. The vibration of the motor causes them to work loose (crush more).
Old 23-08-2009, 10:17   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You can get copper washers from any outfit that rebuild injectors or injection pumps.

They cost about 25 cents...usually they will just give them to you.....take the old one with you
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:41   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I once cut a temporary washer from the side of a plastic milk carton which was as soft as PTFE after i dropped the copper one in the grass and couldnt find it. Always worth carrying spares.
Old 23-08-2009, 11:27   #5

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
anjoe - good idea!

Chief - just wondered if you knew the size off hand. I would rather not open up the fuel line to get the old ones off, until I have the new ones in hand - in case I have trouble finding them etc. That way I can still use the boat, if I want, witout putting the old ones back in, bleeding etc, juts to go out for the day.

At 25 cents, or so, I could afford to buy a couple of sizes, and bring them with me!! Do you think the bolt size would be somehwere around 3/8" or so?

Will call the local engine shop on Monday, to see what's available in town.
Local Yanmar dealer is an hour away. Will see if they stock them.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 13:09   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Beware of any aluminum (?) substitutes. I was sold them in the French islands and they were gone in 6 months. Then I got wise enough and found the real stuff.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 16:28   #7

Boat: Privilege 39
Amusing it's the same pump as 3GM (I believe it is)... It's good you were careful not to overtighten the banjo bolts as the lift pump housing is aluminum. One of mine is stripped out and I have to replace the housing (thank you PO!).

23414-080000 GASKET 8, ROUND
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:57   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
You can reuse the old ones: take them off and heat them until red-hot (literally) and drop them in cold water. They are now annealed and usable again.

The problem is that they are work-hardened by tightening the bolt a couple of times (may be the fitting was taken off once too). With the annealing procedure, they go soft again so that they will provide a seal.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 19:35   #9

Yanmar recommends

That you do not re use the copper washers. Many do with no problems, but they eventually need to be replaced. Two places you can go to. Ace Hardware has some fiber washers, that are almost the exact size, and will work well, and also some nylons, but I haven't tried them. Best bet is go to an auto supply and get metric oil drain plug washers.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, leaks