Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 16:23   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Kubota generator problems.

During a power outage in our marina, ran my 6.5kw Kubota three cylinder diesel generator for some four hours. It started immediately and ran for about half an hour, then started to slow and splutter almost to a stop, but then suddenly picked up and run correctly—until it happened again. Eventually it was doing this more frequently, every ten minutes, until the shore power came back on and, I shut it down.
I would appreciate the insight of anyone who has experienced this, before I start to go through the many possibilities.
JR.
Old 21-10-2019, 16:27   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Kubota generator problems.

You’ve got an air leak on your fuel pickup.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 11:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You’ve got an air leak on your fuel pickup.
Hi Sailmonkey
When the problem first surfaced someone told me that, but said it might be the fuel pump. So I replaced it and all the lines with proper fuel tube and new clamps.
I did not replace the smaller pipes to the individual injectors or the return pipe.
I could not see or feel any fuel leaks. After that the motor ran perfectly, until I had to run it for a longer period recently.
I will be able to test it on Friday when I go to the boat.
Thanks JR
Old 22-10-2019, 11:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Yeah, that's a fuel problem. Probably an air leak, but could be a clogged sieve or filter or crushed pipe, but usually that's a tiny air leak somewhere. How do I know? Don't ask

You can verify it by feeding the fuel pump directly from a jerry can.

Then work through every joint and hose until you find it.

But start with the simple things and change all the filters first, tighten all the hose clamps, etc.

Good luck.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 06:17   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Hi Sailmonkey
When the problem first surfaced someone told me that, but said it might be the fuel pump. So I replaced it and all the lines with proper fuel tube and new clamps.
I did not replace the smaller pipes to the individual injectors or the return pipe.
I could not see or feel any fuel leaks. After that the motor ran perfectly, until I had to run it for a longer period recently.
I will be able to test it on Friday when I go to the boat.
Thanks JR

You won’t see or feel these leaks, somewhere, when the engine is running, air is being pulled into the fuel line. Maybe through a filter gasket, maybe a pipe fitting on the pickup tube.....good luck!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 13:22   #6

Boat: Norseman 447

Once upon a time, on a Volvo MD11, I had a similar problem. It turned out, after much hunting, to be aluminum crush washers that had been used under bolts in the fuel system. They’d corroded underneath the bolt heads or nuts, causing tiny leaks. Replacing them with copper washers solved the problem.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 14:28   #7

I finally found time to thoroughly inspect every hose and hose clip in the generator system. I found a few of the small clips to be a bit loose, probably because the hose had contracted, so I tightened them up. A few pipes looked like they were nearly cracked, so I replaced them.
I ran the generator on full load for an hour, running two AC units, water heater, electric kettle, battery charger, and others.
The genny’ ran perfectly without a murmur, and cooler than normal for that type of load.
I guess the truth is, lack of maintenance and inspection was the true cause of the problem. Thanks everyone, for your advice.
JR
Old 01-11-2019, 16:09   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator