Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 01:43   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T
Kohler Marine Diesels

Hello....has anyone any experience or knowledge of the new Kohler KDI 2504M-MP marine diesel. It is a 50hp, 4 cylinder low revving engine. Would it be suitable to propel my 20 ton 43ft yacht? I have a 50hp BMW right now which is getting troublesome
Tommee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Kohler Marine Diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommee View Post
Hello....has anyone any experience or knowledge of the new Kohler KDI 2504M-MP marine diesel. It is a 50hp, 4 cylinder low revving engine. Would it be suitable to propel my 20 ton 43ft yacht? I have a 50hp BMW right now which is getting troublesome

I think it’s a common rail. I think they are in a lot of equipment. Usually 4 hp per ton is the minimum most consider, though if you motor mostly in light air maybe not a big deal.

FWIW, I opted against the electronically controlled common rail to repower with a beta 50 this winter. Kubota base. Kubota makes the most sub 100hp diesels in the world. The engine block in in the beta 50 lives in many bobcats and the like so get abused and keep ticking.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, NOT common rail.

“Liquid-cooled with direct injection, oil control, and high sulfur fuel compatibility, this powerful 4-valve-head engine is not available for sale in the U.S., Canada and E.U. It offers the many features of the common rail model but does not have a common rail or EGR.”
Kohler Engines: KDI2504M: Kohler Diesel KDI Mechanical: Product Detail: Engines

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:37   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Thanks Gord- I missed that in my brief search- had only seen “high pressure injection” which I read as implying CR
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:55   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 43T

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your input....much appreciated. Sorry but this blond does not understand "rail"...what is this please. I am in New Zealand & this engine is just starting to be sold here. I like the comment...powerful, especially as it is slightly small for my 20 ton Girl.
Tommee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 13:36   #6

A common rail fuel system has a fuel manifold/ tube/ rail which is pressurized by a very high pressure fuel pump. Connected to the rail are high pressure pipes which run to each injector. When the engine is running this rail and its high pressure pipes are full of fuel at high pressure...commonly as much as 30,000 or 35,000 psi. The very high pressures produces greatly improved atomization of the fuel. The injectors are controlled electronically, allowing very fine, precise control of the injection process. There may be several injector openings per power stroke....for example a small initial pulse to get things started, then a bulk pulse with longer opening time, then a finishing spritz. All sorts of tricky stuff.

Bottom line is very clean burning, low emissions, quiet, and high power.

Concerns are that it is electronic and subject to typical marine electronic issues. That said it has been in use in marine application for at least a dozen years with generally good results.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 05:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Some years ago Kohler bought out Lombardini diesel to get a reliable supply of engines for their generating sets.
The engine in question is a marinized Lombardini diesel and you can see all specs on the Lombardini website. diesel - lombardinigroup.it
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 07:14   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
A common rail fuel system has a fuel manifold/ tube/ rail which is pressurized by a very high pressure fuel pump. Connected to the rail are high pressure pipes which run to each injector. When the engine is running this rail and its high pressure pipes are full of fuel at high pressure...commonly as much as 30,000 or 35,000 psi. The very high pressures produces greatly improved atomization of the fuel. The injectors are controlled electronically, allowing very fine, precise control of the injection process. There may be several injector openings per power stroke....for example a small initial pulse to get things started, then a bulk pulse with longer opening time, then a finishing spritz. All sorts of tricky stuff.

Bottom line is very clean burning, low emissions, quiet, and high power.

Concerns are that it is electronic and subject to typical marine electronic issues. That said it has been in use in marine application for at least a dozen years with generally good results.

DougR
Wave of the future.

Someone needs to design one of these with highly ruggedized electronics, modular and easily replaceable, and with built-in diagnostics which would allow a self-sufficient sailor with a kit of spares to field repair any fault.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 00:00   #9

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Someone needs to design one of these with highly ruggedized electronics, modular and easily replaceable, and with built-in diagnostics which would allow a self-sufficient sailor with a kit of spares to field repair any fault.
It is the high pressure fuel pumps that are the problem with marginal quality diesel. No issues with the electronics really.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine