Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 07:52   #1

KM2P Shifter Reassembly

I have a Kanzaki KM2P transmission. In replacing the shifter cable mount, I removed (by accident) the cylinder shifting mechanism from the transmission body. I'm looking for a schematic of this assembly and guidance on reassembly.

This cylinder is located on the port side of transmission, is about 1 1/2" in diameter and is held to the transmission by 2 bolts around the frame. The cylinder has an o-ring to seal the oil. On the outside of this cylinder is the shifter arm which is connected to the shifter cable. The arm + cylinder rotates inside the frame. On the inside of the cylinder is an offset hole about 1/4", a spring and rotating paddle mechanism.

From what I can tell, I simply put the paddle mechanism in the hole on top of the spring and insert into the housing. Am I missing any pieces or does this just float? How does this work in shifting gears? A schematic of this would be very helpful.

In removing the bracket/shifter, the oil drained from the transmission. As I understand, the oil level is tested with the dipstick on top of the treads (not screwed in) and measure to the line on the dipstick. The housing is stamped 20/30HD. I'll replace the oil with 30HD.

Before I reassemble, I'd like to make sure I have this correct and I'm not missing any pieces. I'd hate to grind up a missing piece!

Thanks for your help,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 19:17   #2

Re: KM2P Shifter reassembly

Turns out was very easy to reassemble. The paddle mechanism floats on a spring in the shifter and rides against a worm-gear. When shifting from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral, the paddle rides against the worm gear pushes/pulls the shaft to disengage the gears. I put back together, checked that in neutral I the shaft turns both ways, when in forward or reverse, shaft turned only one way. Didn't hear any horrible sounds when shifting.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote