Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2011, 02:49   #16

Re: Kirloskar RE t - 4 Diesel Engine. Anyone Know Anything !?

ok, it's on its way once more. keep an eye on the spam folder.
good luck.

Old 13-07-2011, 02:56   #17

Hello Leon,
Many many thanks, the download is reached,( Spam Ordner), very helpful, the wine is on the way Ahoi, Heinz Kutsch

Old 08-08-2012, 16:05   #18

Boat: Rijkswaterstaat, jr.1934, 10m
Re: Kirloskar RE t - 4 Diesel Engine.

Hi Leon,

We purchased an old boat last year with a kirloskar engine - also marised by JMR. Our cooling water pump broke down some weeks ago and we can't find a new one. Does this sound familiar?

I came across your message, and I would like to ask if you still have the scanned manual and spare parts list you talk about in your quoted message. Would you be willing to send it to me to? Would it also be possible to give me some specifications about how you built the external pump and if it works well?

thank you in advance...I would be really sad if my old motor was not "savable" anymore...

groetjes,
Ingrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuhay View Post
hello, I have a similar engine, a RE-4, also marinised by JMR. JMR sold all their Kirloskar parts to some company in Germany, but this was already a long time ago. Kirloskar India doesn't have any parts for these models either. I didn't manage to get a new cooling water pump, so I had to build it to external pump.
Anyway, I have a handbook, a spare parts list and a maintenance book...

groetjes,
leon
Old 08-08-2012, 16:58   #19

hoi Ingrid,
ik heb twee flenzen laten lassen die op de plek van de -in en uitlaat van de waterpomp geschrofd zijn. hierop twee slangnippels en met slangen naar een technautic waterpomp, aangedreven met een pulley. dit werkt prima, maar kan niet op vol toerental continu draaien omdat de pulley op de waterpomp niet groter kon (paste er niet tussen). dit ombouwen was erg veel uitzoekerij en werk....
helaas ben ik de manuals kwijt, die liggen nog wel ergens maar ik weet niet waar. op dit moment heb ik weer andere pech, koppakking kapot, heb jij nog een tip? kom anders een keer kijken naar de installatie van de waterpomp, ik lig in wormerveer.

groet
leon
Old 09-08-2012, 01:44   #20

Dag Leon,

Hartelijk dank voor het snelle antwoord! Ik had al zo'n vermoeden dat "volle toeren" met een externe pomp niet meer mogelijk zou zijn, maar dat was bij ons zowiezo al niet meer het geval aangezien door de slijtage van de pomp de koeling al niet meer ideaal was. Het is het proberen waard!

Wat die koppakking betreft, wij hadden lek aan de thermostaat en hebben dit kunnen oplossen met een blauwe pasta waarvan ik de naam niet meer ken, maar die als het ware een rubbere ring vormt. Ik vraag de naam straks aan mijn echtgenoot en stuur hem naar je door!

Groetjes,
Ingrid
Old 09-08-2012, 05:07   #21

hallo Heinz,
I lost my manuals! could you resend the bunch to l.vergouw@yahoo.com?

danke!
gr
leon
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ingrid.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:52   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Kirloskar RE t - 4 Diesel Engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barco View Post
Hi Leon,

We purchased an old boat last year with a kirloskar engine - also marised by JMR. Our cooling water pump broke down some weeks ago and we can't find a new one. Does this sound familiar?

I came across your message, and I would like to ask if you still have the scanned manual and spare parts list you talk about in your quoted message. Would you be willing to send it to me to? Would it also be possible to give me some specifications about how you built the external pump and if it works well?

thank you in advance...I would be really sad if my old motor was not "savable" anymore...

groetjes,
Ingrid
Your old motor will be "savable". Your cooling water pump -- you mean the freshwater pump? -- will very most likely be made by some component manufacturer which makes pumps for all kinds of engines. You could try to track it down in India -- I'll bet some diesel mechanics there will know where to find it.

In all likelihood, however, you can have your old pump rebuilt. You didn't say what went wrong with it, but rarely is it anything but bearings and seals. Any good machine shop can sort that out for you. If you have a cracked housing or an impeller with missing blades, that sort of thing can also be repaired. It will cost more than a new pump, but if it is a huge hassle to find the new pump, that's what i would do.

Now if you're talking about a sea water pump, then that's simpler -- these are pretty generic and made by only a few companies -- Jabsco, etc. I can't imagine it would be so hard to find one which would fit, or which could be made to fit. In the worst case, you will need new brackets and hoses and a longer or shorter belt.

I suppose an external pump could work as well -- you could probably use a sea water pump if you can get the flow rates right, and if the new pump is rated for engine operating temperatures.

If I had an engine which was totally unsupported, and for which parts were totally unavailable, I might however seriously think about repowering. A pump will not be so complicated, but you may have much more serious problems if you need internal engine parts.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51   #24

hoi,
het max motortoerental wordt bepaald door de overbrengingsverhouding van de twee pulleys en het max toerental van de waterpomp. even sneller kan wel, hij slijt dan alleen harder, omdat het een impellerpomp is en de originele een waaierpomp. maar ik kan op 2300 rpm kruisen, geen probleem.
dat blauwe spul, vloeibare pakking werkt niet op een koppakking, veel te veel druk.
groetjes,
leon
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24   #25

Thanks for the welcome note and the advice.

To be clear, it is the internal cooling water pump, not for the "sea water" (although I only go on rivers and canals).

The pump is impossible to repare. It is completely used out, so the only option I think is an external pump.

I did think about changing the whole motor - also because it was heated for a moment and so other peaces could be broken - but first we want to get the boat back home (we were on vacation) and than look for an acceptable second hand motor...This should be a reliable but not too expensive motor, since the boat itself - although the most beautiful one that exists to me - is not worth much more than an expensive sports bike If you know of a good motor for sale in Belgium or the Netherlands, I would appreciate the tip!

Regards!
Ingrid
Old 13-08-2012, 03:00   #26

hello Heinz,
thank you for the pictures. you sent me twice the same, could you resend the pictures from the larger english manuals?

vielen dank
leon
Old 14-09-2012, 05:19   #27

hallo Heinz,
thank you for the CD! it was really helpful and we're close to the final repair. the head gasket is replaced, head flattened. now I'm waiting for a valve adjust screw which is broken (and of course never to be found...but makeable). thank you very much!
all the best,
Leon
Old 14-09-2012, 06:17   #28

Hi Leon,

Just to let you know that we managed to get the engine running again and return home from the Nieuwpoort vacation... What we did was probably not very elegant, but it seems to be working oke...

We just removed the cooling water pump al together and connected to the outside water directly. So in stead of indirect cooling, we now have direct cooling...We don't go in salty water, so as long as the outside water filter works well, I suppose it should be oke...

All thanks again for the advice. I'll probably get back to you later since we also have troubles with the packing and we have not yet changed the impeller. So finding spare parts for that is next on the to-do list...

all the best,
Ingrid
Old 15-09-2012, 05:07   #29

hoi Ingrid,
prima noodoplossing.
nadelen: de motor komt niet op bedrijfstemperatuur en buitenwater gaat wel aankoeken in je motor.
al een besluit genomen over reparatie/vervanging? de koelwaterpomp is echt niet te krijgen, als lager en seal nog heel zijn zou je wel de waaier kunnen laten namaken, maar ook een prijzig klusje...
ik heb zojuist een koppakking laten maken, ook op de hele wereld niet te vinden! erg lastig om iemand te vinden die het voor een schappelijke prijs wil doen, maar eindelijk gelukt. nu blijkt er nog een klepstelboutje afgebroken te zijn... moet ook weer met de hand gemaakt worden.

succes!
groetjes,
leon
Old 12-08-2014, 03:34   #30

Hi everybody,

My motor is in trouble again! Anybody knows what kind of gearbox is attached to a Kirloskar t-4 diesel engine?

thanks in advance,
Ingrid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: