Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 14:30   #1

Kerosene Fuel for Outboards

Here in Indonesia the fisherman use gasoline to start their outboards and then switch over to Kerosene which is cheaper. Any comments or experience with this concept. They are using modern outboards, Yamaha's and Mariners.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 15:00   #2

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Re: kerosene fuel for outboards

You sure they are "gasoline" outboards. Yamaha and Suzuki (according to internet search) make outboards to run on specifically on kerosene and market them in many thrid world countries.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 15:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Kerosene Fuel for Outboards

Interesting news, to me.

Yamaha has developed and distributed engines that run on alcohol or kerosene
Development of outboard motors that run on non-gasoline fuels - Area Marketing | YAMAHA MOTOR

Yamaha Kerosene Outboard Motors

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 15:50   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

my dad had a Model B John Deere tractor that had both gasoline and kerosene fuel tanks. You had to hand crank it, which meant starting it up on gasoline, but after running it half an hour or so you could switch over to the kerosene and it would run happily on that for the rest of the day at a fraction of the cost.
Old 31-10-2013, 23:15   #5

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26

Humm, well, has anyone , in the Americas, tried running a 9.9 hp 2 stroke on kero?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09   #6

Motors that run on kerosene are almost always started on gasoline, since kerosene is not volatile enough at low temperatures. Once the motor is warmed up, it is switched to the kerosene. I dont know about outboards, but the other gas/kero engines I have seen are very low compression and had different jets in the carbs. I dont think a normal gas motor would have any chance of starting on kero. Hey Bash, my brother and I still have an old John Deere that is gas/kero. Its fun. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Interesting, I'm more interested in running my 4 strokes on propane if I end spending an extended time in panama or other places where propane is sold a subsidized price.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The Brits also had dual fuel engines in the past, and again the reason was cheaper kero than petrol.

In the areas with which I am familiar, (USA, OZ, SP islands) kero is now more expensive than petrol, and much harder to find. Leads me to wonder if there are places where the old price structure is in effect? If folks are marketing kero fuel motors I suppose it must be so...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03   #9

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35

I have ran my car of diesel before ( got to label the can better ) it didn't start easy but run fine. Can do the same with a lawnmower.
Are they running 2 stroke or 4?
If 2 how much oil if any do they add to the kerosen?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:03   #10

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

My understanding of the Yamaha Enduro kerosene outboards (two-stroke) is that they pollute a lot more than the two-stoke outboards that people complain about in the US.. I was originally really psyched about the idea, very similar but obviously less ecological, than the two-tank veggie oil diesel conversion where you can start a diesel engine on diesel and once it is warmed up switch to filtered waste vegetable. I have experience with the two-tank Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) systems (and one tank, which means veggie oil is electrically preheated prior to start). It still kinda surprises me less boats use WVO given how much easier it is to implement on a boat than a car.. Have no kerosene outboard experience so can't definitely confirm pollution of two-stroke gas vs two-stroke kero and it will depend a lot on the quality of the kerosene itself, lamp/cooking kerosene probably burns pretty clean if properly heated but there's a lot of really dirty kerosene for sale that probably pollutes a lot... If meets your expectations, one of the great things about kerosene (or propane) is that unlike gasoline it almost never goes bad (ie don't get water in it and you're golden vs E10 gasoline where it just doesn't last well in a marine environment..).
SunnySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySky View Post
My understanding of the Yamaha Enduro kerosene outboards (two-stroke) is that they pollute a lot more than the two-stoke outboards that people complain about in the US.. I was originally really psyched about the idea, very similar but obviously less ecological, than the two-tank veggie oil diesel conversion where you can start a diesel engine on diesel and once it is warmed up switch to filtered waste vegetable. I have experience with the two-tank Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) systems (and one tank, which means veggie oil is electrically preheated prior to start). It still kinda surprises me less boats use WVO given how much easier it is to implement on a boat than a car.. Have no kerosene outboard experience so can't definitely confirm pollution of two-stroke gas vs two-stroke kero and it will depend a lot on the quality of the kerosene itself, lamp/cooking kerosene probably burns pretty clean if properly heated but there's a lot of really dirty kerosene for sale that probably pollutes a lot... If meets your expectations, one of the great things about kerosene (or propane) is that unlike gasoline it almost never goes bad (ie don't get water in it and you're golden vs E10 gasoline where it just doesn't last well in a marine environment..).
I thought I heard the veggie oil for diesel party ended when restuarant relaized they could sell the stuff rather than paying people to take it away.

Trying to collect, filter and then outfit a second tank on a cruising boat seems like a lot more work than it's worth unless you own a fast food restuarant and get all the oil for free.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel