Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 16:02   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
KBW21 Gearbox oil

I have a Yanmar (Kanzaki-Hurth) KBW21 gearbox that I had rebuilt in the Azores. Short story - the rear locknut backed out allowing all the oil to drain into the bilge. Not knowing if any damage was done to the gearbox internals, I had the disks and separator plates replaced while they were replacing the seals.

The mechanic put SAE30 oil in the gearbox. The manual states to use ATF. I tried to ask the mechanic why he put in SAE30, but the language barrier kept me from getting an answer. I do not readily ignore manufacturer's recommendations and I do not know any reason not to use ATF.

So two questions - 1) should I use ATF, and 2) if I pump out the SAE30, there will be some leftover oil in the gearbox. What will happen if I put ATF in the gearbox with a small amount of remaining SAE30?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 17:22   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: KBW21 Gearbox oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I have a Yanmar (Kanzaki-Hurth) KBW21 gearbox that I had rebuilt in the Azores. Short story - the rear locknut backed out allowing all the oil to drain into the bilge. Not knowing if any damage was done to the gearbox internals, I had the disks and separator plates replaced while they were replacing the seals.

The mechanic put SAE30 oil in the gearbox. The manual states to use ATF. I tried to ask the mechanic why he put in SAE30, but the language barrier kept me from getting an answer. I do not readily ignore manufacturer's recommendations and I do not know any reason not to use ATF.

So two questions - 1) should I use ATF, and 2) if I pump out the SAE30, there will be some leftover oil in the gearbox. What will happen if I put ATF in the gearbox with a small amount of remaining SAE30?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
1), yes do use ATF.
2), I would overfill the gearbox with ATF, rotate it by hand if you can (decompress engine if possible), drain it out, refill to correct level with fresh ATF, operate for say ten minutes, drain again and finally refill with fresh ATF.

Disclaimer, I am no oil expert but really ATF is still a mineral oil and will mix with other oils. Doing the above will dilute the remnants of the SAE30 to next to nothing IMO.

I suspect the mechanic used SAE30 simply because some other Kanzaki boxes use SAE30 and that is what he was familiar with.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 20:43   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: KBW21 Gearbox oil

If it is a hurth tranny under that K- nameplate, it does want ATF, and Dextron III grade to boot. This seems to be important if the gurus on the Hurth forums are to be believed. They also stipulate that one change the tranny oil every time you change the engine oil.

These trannies have a reputation for short life times, and giving them all the help you can seems a good idea.

Jim

Tags
gear, gearbox, oil