Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Johnson Impeller Issue

Just got back from the boat.

I ordered two new impellers for the Westerbeke (2008 30-B-Three). They are in a Johnson box and are the correct stock number 09-810B-1. Same as the ones I have been using except different packaging.........and..........the center pin that fits into the slot on the shaft is TOO BIG!!

The old ones came two ways and were threaded with a slot for a small screw driver. One was threaded all the way and one was only threaded on the two ends with the central part of the shaft smooth - and slightly smaller in size too, I think. They were brass colored (bronze?) too. The new ones look to be stainless.

The new one is TOO BIG and it is not threaded. It has knurling on each end and is pressed in.

Sometimes it is hard to get a new impeller to go in so I took the pin out and tried to fit it by itself. No luck. TOO BIG!!

Anyone come across this?

Tomorrow's plan is to talk to someone at Johnson Pumps, hopefully far enough up to get the real skinny.

The housing I have is the "newer" one that has the o-ring and a round cover.

I would not be surprised to find that they will be more than willing to sell me a rebuild kit with shaft (or a new pump!!) for my perfectly working pump.

We shall see.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Johnson impeller issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Just got back from the boat.

I ordered two new impellers for the Westerbeke (2008 30-B-Three). They are in a Johnson box and are the correct stock number 09-810B-1. Same as the ones I have been using except different packaging.........and..........the center pin that fits into the slot on the shaft is TOO BIG!!

The old ones came two ways and were threaded with a slot for a small screw driver. One was threaded all the way and one was only threaded on the two ends with the central part of the shaft smooth - and slightly smaller in size too, I think. They were brass colored (bronze?) too. The new ones look to be stainless.

The new one is TOO BIG and it is not threaded. It has knurling on each end and is pressed in.

Sometimes it is hard to get a new impeller to go in so I took the pin out and tried to fit it by itself. No luck. TOO BIG!!

Anyone come across this?

Tomorrow's plan is to talk to someone at Johnson Pumps, hopefully far enough up to get the real skinny.

The housing I have is the "newer" one that has the o-ring and a round cover.

I would not be surprised to find that they will be more than willing to sell me a rebuild kit with shaft (or a new pump!!) for my perfectly working pump.

We shall see.
I use the 810 impeller as well. Just remove the pin from your old ones and keep them. Johnson can send you the correct pin and the last "new packaging" model I bought had the correct sized pin for our pump so it was not an issue this time around. Alternatively you can take a Dremel and take some meat off the pin where it needs to pass through the shaft..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Johnson impeller issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I use the 810 impeller as well. Just remove the pin from your old ones and keep them. Johnson can send you the correct pin and the last "new packaging" model I bought had the correct sized pin for our pump so it was not an issue this time around. Alternatively you can take a Dremel and take some meat off the pin where it needs to pass through the shaft..
I have a couple of old pins. They won't work in the new impeller.

I think Johnson should be able to take care of me - we shall see.

I was thinking of how I would fix the problem if I was away somewhere and the best I could come up with was to chuck it into a drill and hold a file to it so it would be even. My dremel skills would leave it looking pretty uneven.

I don't think it should be MY problem though................but I do acknowledge that I own a B O A T.