Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 00:07   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
John Deere 4045 and ZF63?

Does anyone have any opinion on installing a John Deere 4045 (75hp continuous) with a ZF 2:1 gearbox, probobly the ZF63?

The old Ford 2042E with Kanzaki 2:1 in my steel Roberts 44 Offshore show more problems every time I look at them. I figure they are past economical repair. Parts are no longer guaranteed. It's becoming time to bite the bullet.

I have evaluated the turbo Yanmar but by the time I put a heavy duty gearbox on it it's getting expensive. And It's a 2.2 litre against a 4.5 litre.

I currently have a big prop and a heavy shaft, right hand rotation.

From what I can work out every John Deere dealer in the world will supply parts and it's a proven marine engine. The ZF gearbox should be similar?

I've also looked at Perkins, Cummins, Isuzu and Volvo(left hand rotation!) and the same problems apply.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 00:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It is possible that you will still ahve to re-prop. Can you list the RPM details of the engines? both the Old Ford and the New JD.
Personly, but this is personal, I don't like turbo engines in Yachts or any displacement vessel. The power is all wrong. IMO, you want a more Linear power response than the more stepped ramp response you get with turbo'd engines. Of course, the power figure does differ with different engine makes.
I am not sure what you mean by "and the same problems apply" with the last paragraph you made. could you expand that please.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 01:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Repower problems...

The engine that I have (Ford 2042E) no longer has data available though I have found that it is 87hp and has a capacity of 3.54 litres. It does seem to put out lots of power. (The boat really moves along!)

The problems that concern me relate to using a light engine/gearbox in a heavy boat.

The 75hp Yanmar is the turbo version. I'm told that with a heavy shaft I need a heavy duty gearbox.

What attracts me to the Deere 4045 is that it seems to be the modern equivalent to the old slow reving diesels. I could run it all day at 1500rpm with a fuel consumption of 3.7 litres/hour.
Old 27-05-2007, 01:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tech data...

Tech data for the Deere 4045 can be found here.
Old 27-05-2007, 02:41   #5

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
That's just what I was after originaly, but JD told me they start at 100+hp????.

They'd have to be a good solid motor you'd think.

Looking at the weight I would have freaked out a bit [lot]. I was actually offered the Iveco 85hp for the same $$$, but it was 500kg plus.

The Cummin's I ended up with is 3.3 litre @65hp with a ZF25, which is considered an oversize box, which I could have got in left or right hand spin.

They came in at just on 300kg inc. box.

These are a Komatsu motor, which is in just about every bobcat on the planet.

Dave
Old 27-05-2007, 04:37   #6

ZF63 is WAY overkill. That box is typicly run on 200+ hp engines making 500ish ft/lb of torque.
I think the 4JH-te would be a good match with the gear provided. Usualy thats a KM4 or ZF30
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 05:05   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
ZF63 is WAY overkill. That box is typicly run on 200+ hp engines making 500ish ft/lb of torque.
I think the 4JH-te would be a good match with the gear provided. Usualy thats a KM4 or ZF30
I thought a ZF63 sounded big for an extra 25hp , but hey, I aint no expert on motor's.

Dave
Old 27-05-2007, 06:07   #8
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
Tech data for the Deere 4045 can be found here.
I took a look a Deere's at the last boat show. I was surprised at the size/weight for the amount of power they put out. No doubt they are reliable and have good specs. But the odd size (front belt gaurd, placement of the heat exchanger) made it look BIG for a sailboat's engine room. Other makes in the same hp range seem a bit more compact.
Old 27-05-2007, 07:39   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
JDs information on the tier 2 engines is here.

Marine Engines from John Deere: Learn about John Deere marine diesel engines including marine engine specifications.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 09:11   #10

Are ya'll aware JD rebadges Yanmar engines for their small lines.
Old 27-05-2007, 09:39   #11
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
Are ya'll aware JD rebadges Yanmar engines for their small lines.
I somehow doubt that. Maybe in the farm equipment biz, but not marine. Yanmar has such a strong presence in the marine market, why would they give part of it away to JD? Every JD engine I have seen at the boat shows are true blue (green and yellow?) John Deeres.
Old 27-05-2007, 09:54   #12

In marine that is true, because they only use their engines. Which start at about 50hp. In industrial/Ag they use Yanmar.
This begs the question....do you know why that tractor runs like a Deere? it's powered by Yanmar.
Noodle that one for awhile.
Old 27-05-2007, 10:27   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I thought JD bought Perkins Sabre?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 12:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The entire industry is subject to mix and match at sometime. It is expensive to design and build an engine. So if the market is not going to return that expense plus profit, it is easier to take someone elses existing engine to fit the market need. The volume of the order is so big though, that the company buying the product can ask for a custom build. So they will have small components fitted to match their own requirements. Colour is a simple spray gun, so it can be built to what ever colour anyone wants. In some instances, an engine will be built to the specs of the buyer, sometimes, the builders specs are used. Sometimes it is just a shortblock and the buyer then fits their own parts. Just depends. Also, just because one company buy's another, does not always mean they make soley those engines. Purchases can sometimes be financial investment only, sometimes we see a marriage in technology. Just depends.

Old 27-05-2007, 12:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To answer some of the original questions. Firstly the gearbox is or should be selected for the engine Hp, Not what shaft size it is driving. So you have been given false info there.
Yanmar build lightweight engines. It is what makes them a major plus in the boating market, especially for planing hulls. Turboing an engine means you get a substantial increase in power from the same weight of engine. It does come at a cost to engine life however. Slow reving, which means they are long stroke engines, tend to be heavier. There is more engine. But they also tend to last more hrs.
The reson I asked about RPM is that if the old Ford, which if I remember rightly was a 2650RPM engine, and the new JD, were very similar in RPM, then you will most likely be able to use the same prop. But if the RPM is way different, then the prop will have to be repitched to suit the revs.
Most gearboxes, (not all, but most) can run either direction. So left vs right of the engine may not be an issue. It could be a simple reversal of the gear linkage.