Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-05-2007, 14:43   #16
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
The entire industry is subject to mix and match at sometime. It is expensive to design and build an engine. So if the market is not going to return that expense plus profit, it is easier to take someone elses existing engine to fit the market need. The volume of the order is so big though, that the company buying the product can ask for a custom build. So they will have small components fitted to match their own requirements. Colour is a simple spray gun, so it can be built to what ever colour anyone wants. In some instances, an engine will be built to the specs of the buyer, sometimes, the builders specs are used. Sometimes it is just a shortblock and the buyer then fits their own parts. Just depends. Also, just because one company buy's another, does not always mean they make soley those engines. Purchases can sometimes be financial investment only, sometimes we see a marriage in technology. Just depends.
Yep, I remember walking the boat shows and seeing the same small hp Westerbeke engine painted light blue and badged as a Detroit Diesel just a couple booths down.

I think that was the only difference.

Heck, VolvoPenta sold a marinized GM 350 engine up until a couple years ago.

Old 27-05-2007, 15:28   #17

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I have only got anecdotal evidence of larger JDs in work boats so not sure if they're Yanmar derivatives or not. Have only heard 100% positive things about them. Cheap, rugged, reliable, easy to get parts for.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 23:06   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Rigid mount...

The local John Deere marine agent has suggested that the engine be bolted directly to the bearers.

He says that with a big engine in a heavy steel boat this is the best way.

I did this when I built my Hartley RORC 32 but that was with a single cylinder 7hp Yanmar.

But no rubber engine mounts?
Old 29-05-2007, 23:30   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
The local John Deere marine agent has suggested that the engine be bolted directly to the bearers.

But no rubber engine mounts?
I'd be inspecting the mountings quite often if it were installed without rubber mounts. And I'd only be using a grade 5 bolt!
I have many story's to tell about broken off mounting bolts in hard-to get-to places...................._/)
Old 29-05-2007, 23:45   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Del, while on the subject of bolt's, [I take it you know more than me on the subject] it was suggested to me to bolt my 300kg Cummins down [ on flexible mount's] with just cad plated steel bolt's with a smear of "Never Seize" on them.

Would that be right, I was thinking Locktite instead of never seize an maybe SS bolt's, though fatigue may be a factor there.

Dave
Old 30-05-2007, 02:42   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Metric (ISO) class 8.8, though slightly stronger, are generally considered a rough equivalent for US (SAE) grade 5 bolts.

Property class 6.8 roughly corresponds to SAE grade 2;
8.8 to SAE 5
;
and 10.9 to SAE 8.

Bolt Class ~ Proof Load ~ Min. Yield Strength ~ Min. Tensile Strength
US (SAE) ~ 85,000 psi ~ 92,000 psi ~ 120,000 psi
Metric (ISO) Class 8.8 ~ 600 MPa ~ 660 MPa ~ 830

Tensile Strength: The maximum load in tension (pulling apart) which a material can withstand before breaking or fracturing.

Yield Strength: The maximum load at which a material exhibits a specific permanent deformation

Proof Load: An axial tensile load which the product must withstand without evidence of any permanent set.
1 Mpa = 145.0377 psi

Metric (ISO) fasteners are marked with the numerical grade designation (ie: 8.8).
US (ISO) fastener grades are indicated by radial lines (ie: Grade 5 = 3 lines)
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 14:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I would NEVER bolt directly to the engien bearer. Especially on a steel boat. The noise and vibration would drive you nuts.
NEVER use SST bolts. They will eventually crack. Cadnium/zinc plated will be fine. Was the person suggesting you use never sieze over the bolt to protect it instead of one the thread maybe? Locktite would be a good call IMO.
Marine engine mounts are expensive but well worth it. They are captivated so as the engine can not tear away if the boat goes through a severe roll.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 14:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Instead of locktite, you might want to try these new(?) lock washers, called Nord-lock. Then you could use anti-sieze compound as well on the threads.

Nord-Lock - Home
Old 30-05-2007, 18:23   #24

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
I would NEVER bolt directly to the engien bearer. Especially on a steel boat. The noise and vibration would drive you nuts.
NEVER use SST bolts. They will eventually crack. Cadnium/zinc plated will be fine. Was the person suggesting you use never sieze over the bolt to protect it instead of one the thread maybe? Locktite would be a good call IMO.
Marine engine mounts are expensive but well worth it. They are captivated so as the engine can not tear away if the boat goes through a severe roll.
Thought the stainless would crap out, and yep, maybe they were suggesting neversieze to stop the cad plated ones rusting.

Locktite was a given, don't go to sea without it in the kit.

Thank's

Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: