Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 16:09   #1

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 36, Sunchaser
Jabsco Pump Adapter Plate Realignment..

Well to start off I'll give a bit of history--my Jabsco water pump">raw water pump on my old Perkins 4.108 was pissing water out the back. On removal and inspection I noticed that everything needed replacing-wear plate, front cover, cam, seals, impeller etc etc.--Having some unspent Xmas $'s left over in my credit card caused me to splurge and buy a whole new pump (hoping to rebuild the old one over a period of time). NZ$500 later my beautiful new pump arrived (they REALLY are brass--hard to tell looking at the old one ). I decided to go the whole hog and replaced the hoses and hoseclamps as well (big spender).--THE PUMP RAN FOR ALMOST EXACTLY GIVE OR TAKE APPROXIMATELY 1 HOUR. Then my temperature gauge went crazy and zero water came out the back of the boat.

Upon removal of MY BRAND FRIGGIN NEW PUMP - I noticed the glaring anomaly of the spline, seemingly cold pressed onto the shaft, spinning in a totally useless manner and therefore producing no impetus to the impeller, ergo--overheating engine. --this reminded me of the following little missive that came contained in the pumps box (follows later in RED). I thought this was of no consequence to me , AS I HAD NOT LOOSENED THE ADAPTER PLATE AT ALL, BUT HAD GONE TO GREAT TROUBLE AND LOST A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SWEAT,KNUCKLESKIN--AND PERFECTED THE ART OF CONTORTIONISM TO REMOVE MY PUMP WITHOUT LOOSENING THE FRIGGIN ADAPTER PLATE...

Unbeknown to me, my intelligent(NOT!!!) diesel mechanic person who had refitted (at great cost) my injector pump, had deemed it necessary to loosen the flippin adapter plate------ HENCE THE FOLLOWING BECOMES NECESARRY

NOTICE: If installing this pump on a Perkins 4-107 or
4-108 engine, it is essential that the pump shaft is
properly aligned with the driving-shaft on the engine. If
the pump adaptor plate (Perkins Part No. 33154119) that
the pump mounts to has been loosened, it must be
realigned using a special Perkins alignment tool when it
is resecured to the engine. Contact your Perkins
Service Dealer to arrange the adaptor plate realignment.
Failure to have the adaptor plate properly aligned prior
to installing the pump can cause severe damage to the
pump and/or the engine.

To cut to the chase--does anybody know how to perform this alignment WITHOUT contacting my nonexistent knowledgeable friendly Perkins Service Dealer
Joe Okros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 18:28   #2

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 36, Sunchaser
Had a tool made to perform the alignment, will rent out to any kiwi's ;-). Major gotcha for newbie's, I've not noticed anyone mentioning this issue, but IT IS in the workshop manual
Joe Okros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:23   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The Perkins 4-107/108 Shop Manual shows the details of the tool which one could have machined up (see On-Line Shop Manuals* elsewhere on this site). Frankly, while used rarely, given that they are absolutely necessary to remount a pump, I think they should have been included in the tool kit for the engine when new. Any shop that does work on Perkins engines likely has one or two and may be willing to rent them out. Alternately, you might be able to obtain the tool from Perkins directly. Without the tool the odds of getting a pump properly mounted are between slim and none!

Good Luck!

s/v HyLyte

* Goto:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-8758-5.html
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02   #4

Boat: marcon claymore 30' motorsailer
It can be done...

Leave the mounting plate screws just loose, Pull out the "stop" lever (or otherwise prevent the engine from starting) Get someone to turn the engine over with the starter motor.
The pump will jump around, but you can move it until it centres (which you can feel ), at which time you nip up the mounting screws.
Worked for me.
sahona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:53   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahona View Post
Leave the mounting plate screws just loose, Pull out the "stop" lever (or otherwise prevent the engine from starting) Get someone to turn the engine over with the starter motor.
The pump will jump around, but you can move it until it centres (which you can feel ), at which time you nip up the mounting screws.
Worked for me.
AAMOI, same procedure essential for raw water pump on Westerbeke W46.

Tags
jabsco