Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2014, 12:13   #1

Isuzu 2AB1 Diesel

I have a chance to buy a Isuzu 2AB1( just rebuilt) at what seems to be a good price. Problem is I don't know this engine. Is it reliable, does it require a lot of maint. are parts readily available. Can anyone enlighten me? Your comments are greatly appreciated. Oh yes it would be installed in a Pearson 323. Thanks.

Moe

Old 08-01-2014, 12:39   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
I had a 3ab1. Did not seem to be a problem getting parts. They had to be ordered, like most other brands, but they were available.

I didn't put a lot of hours on mine so I can't tell you how reliable it was in the long term.

I would get the serial number and call your local diesel parts dealer to get an idea if parts would be easy to get.

Old 08-01-2014, 13:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Isuzu 2AB1 Diesel

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Moe.

The Isuzu 2AB1 was a 2-cylinder 25HP industrial/tractor engine, built between 19701991.
The UM2AB1 was the marinized version.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:35   #4
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I cannot speak to that specific model, but I own and operate Isuzu diesels and I like them a lot, easy on fuel, reliable, quiet, and they don't spew oil. My time is mostly with the 6bd1, and 4bd1, the 6 is a marinised truck engine. I've got the 4 as a generator, runs like a top. I have a 471 detroit as my main right now and I am in the process changing it out with the 6bd1, which I have commercial fished for years.
Old 08-01-2014, 23:51   #5

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's too good to pass up.
Old 10-01-2014, 14:30   #6

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post
I have a chance to buy a Isuzu 2AB1( just rebuilt) at what seems to be a good price. Problem is I don't know this engine. Is it reliable, does it require a lot of maint. are parts readily available. Can anyone enlighten me? Your comments are greatly appreciated. Oh yes it would be installed in a Pearson 323. Thanks.

Moe
Hi

I have an 27.5 hp Isuzu 3KC engine in my motor sailer for the past 12 years, I change the oil every year and achieve 6 knots at 1800 rpm and fuel consumption is one litre/hr.

Very pleased with it, it is coupled to a ZF10 gearbox driving a 1" dia shaft to a 3 blade 15" prop.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay Feb 2013.JPG
Views:	1636
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	73682  

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:31   #7
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

If they are even half as good as the truck engines of the same vintage they should be brilliant. They used to swap the 3.8 litre Isuzu diesel into older Range Rovers and the car was better for the swap I think.

I did see a few of the smaller Isuzus (40 hp) in use on the UK canals in the long boats, at least the charter boats where we hired our boat anyway.

Later on we looked seriously at buying a longboat and the general consensus from those we spoke to was that the Isuzu was an excellent motor for the job. A much less demanding environment in fairness, but then the charter boaters were all crazy so anything that could survive the treatment was pretty good. I certainly grew to love it over the few weeks we used it. The only worry I can remember was that someone told me Isuzu had shut down its specialty marine division so in the future parts might have been a problem.

Matt
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39   #8
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

My engine was built in 1987, and I can still get parts for it, through the truck division, there are a bunch of aftermarket vendors too. I worked for a charter boat company that had one of those Isuzu pups, and the body was literally falling off the frame, but that little motor started every morning without fail. Well anyway, they get my vote.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:08   #9

Boat: Spencer 1330 44' Ketch

I have no experience with the 2AB1 models of Isuzu engines.

But I do have lots of experience with the C240 Isuzu of the the same vintage.

The C240 that is in my boat is the same one that was installed in 1981, and has never been overhauled with who knows how many hours. Several tachometers have been replaced, and no record kept.

I did a compression check last week, and all cylinders were 480# plus or minus a few percent.

Oil consumption is 1/2 qt. between 100 hr. changes, and no leaks.

It is my opinion that most any brand or type of engine will last many years and hours if the owners would keep clean fluids and filters, keep the salt water out of the engine, and pickle the cylinders with a preservative oil spray in the intake whenever the engine is put into storage for more than a month or two. I also drain the salt water out of the engine heat exchanger whenever it will not be used for more than a week. Easy to do, and saves me from corrosion problems later.

Indecently, this engine has spent many hours at idle/1200rpm charging batteries and running the fridge/freezer compressor while at anchor, and offshore, on my trips every year from Maine to the Bahamas. No ill effects noted.

If that old engine that you are looking at checks out with a good inspection, buy it, and save many dollars that you can spend on other equipment, like new sails, or an AIS, or a new chart plotter/radar, or a really good fuel prefilter if your boat does not have one.

Horizon Watcher
Old 04-02-2014, 06:31   #10

Boat: Cascade 36

I'll add another vote of confidence for the Isuzu 2AB1. In 1976 I installed a 2AB1 marinized by Fiskar (Costa Mesa, CA--no longer in business) when building my Cascade 36. It now has over 5,000 hours on it and is still going strong. All of the add-on "consumables" have been replaced over the years (alternator, starter, water pumps, exhaust riser, engine mounts...), but I've never had to touch the basic Isuzu block, injector components or transmission (Borg Warner Model 70C AS7-70 "velvet drive"). Parts are readily available in the Pacific Rim.

I also agree with Horizon Watcher: take good care of it--change fluids and filters regularly--and it will take care of you. BTW, I've consistently used synthetic oil for lube, injectors, and governor since new, changed annually.

Based on this happy experience, I later acquired an Isuzu Rodeo SUV. Also bulletproof after 15 years.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: