Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 12:10   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Issues with a SP135 Lehman engine.

Automotive Machine shops are the ones who supply, valves. springs, seats guides etc. There is a whole world of generic parts out there. You don't buy factory parts unless you have too
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 14:58   #17

I could defiantly just replace the bad seat and put in a new valve and call it good, but it is a 1990 motor, and my experience with a boat is that you don't go cheap and if you do, you usually get bit. My boat is a motorsailer, and if I'm making passage which we do a lot, I rely on my motor. Yes it only runs at between 14-1800 RPM with sails up depending on wind and conditions. I have also just replaced a prop, and had some issues with my house in the states that I haven't even seen in ten years, so it's not like I'm rolling in money, but It seems like when I go cheap, I regret it. Am I the only one that this happens to?? I mean the head is off now, so I figure best to buy the parts, rebuilt it completely, and be worry free for another 20 years. You guys think this is overkill??
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 15:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Automotive Machine shops are the ones who supply, valves. springs, seats guides etc. There is a whole world of generic parts out there. You don't buy factory parts unless you have too
I'm not sure where you are, but in the Caribbean, you had better have all of the right parts for the machine shop when you bring the head to him or you may never get it back.. They just do the work here. Oh yes they will order the parts, but that just raises the price a lot and gives them an excuse as to why your job is taking forever to complete. BTW, don't take my word for this and ask ANYONE who has ever had mechanical work done in the Caribbean.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:14   #19

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Let me know if you need any help
Chris
Sayonara
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:03   #20

Boat: Krogen 42

Check industrial and farm suppliers for much better pricing. These are British made Ford engines.

Tags
engine, lehman