Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 03:28   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Is this as bad as it looks?

So 3 days on and over a weekend presumably the manifold has been removed for inspection, yes?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:30   #62

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

No. I went there three days ago and determined I'm not a deisel mechanic. And I don't live near the boat.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:50   #63

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Have you considered an outboard?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:52   #64

No. Gonna pay someone to fix it.
Old 19-12-2016, 04:22   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Well yes BUT we have surveyors to get an expertise and NOT disclaimers or statements like "On deck I see an outboard engine make/type"

My Question: did you test it - answer NO.

On my boast the surveyor did not check the seacock that were cheap brass plumbing scrap.
You should have hired a better surveyor.
Old 19-12-2016, 05:20   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You should have hired a better surveyor.
Yes of course but what was first - the hen or the egg.
You only know the quality after u have tested it.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 05:32   #67
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Yes of course but what was first - the hen or the egg.
You only know the quality after u have tested it.
How to Choose a Marine Surveyor
Old 19-12-2016, 06:27   #68

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
After looking at your side by side comparisons you're the kind of surveyor one hopes to hire. Reporting what is readily apparent should be the standard & you've clearly met that. However, the motors aren't run & there's no compression check or oil analysis. The transmissions aren't put in gear or shifted & the alternator output isn't checked. We don't know if the motors are hard to start, smoking & if so what color, how much blow by there is, how well it's pumping water or even if there's a vacuum leak in the fuel lines. I'm no expert & I'm sure there are more things that should be checked but none of this will be checked by a surveyor. Buyers need to hire a mechanic to check out the motor.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:49   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
No. Gonna pay someone to fix it.
Probably a good decision, or there would have been lots of skinned knuckles taking that off, not to mention snapped bolts and hassle.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:58   #70
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
After looking at your side by side comparisons you're the kind of surveyor one hopes to hire. Reporting what is readily apparent should be the standard & you've clearly met that. However, the motors aren't run & there's no compression check or oil analysis. The transmissions aren't put in gear or shifted & the alternator output isn't checked. We don't know if the motors are hard to start, smoking & if so what color, how much blow by there is, how well it's pumping water or even if there's a vacuum leak in the fuel lines. I'm no expert & I'm sure there are more things that should be checked but none of this will be checked by a surveyor. Buyers need to hire a mechanic to check out the motor.
Kind of agree with you but a true and complete diesel (six cylinder)survey will cost close to 1k in Ontario mostly because the injectors and fuel lines have to be removed to do compression test and that is time consuming. 1k on top of haulout and survey costs is often a stretch on lower priced vessels.

If you are buying a vessel with a pair of 500hp, common rails with electronic fuel system, absolutely bite the bullet for two engine surveys.

I do advise a separate engine survey in my Scope of Survey Statement but truthfully this is just CYA. What I actually tell my clients is......
For older mechanical fuel systems whether big Perkins Lehmans or small Yanmars I'm not convinced a separate engine survey is warranted.
If the engine starts instantly, smoke clears in 30 seconds and the vessel responds to throttle there is likely not much wrong. Checking coolant condition, a close visual inspection of all hoses fuel and exhaust connections. monitoring temperatures of various parts of the engine (IR), load and shift operations during sea trial will tell you just about everything you need to know and all of this should be done by a competent surveyor whether or not an engine survey is on order.

I do advise a separate engine survey in my Scope of Survey Statement but truthfully this is just CYA
Old 19-12-2016, 07:17   #71

Quote:
Kind of agree with you but a true and complete diesel (six cylinder)survey will cost close to 1k in Ontario mostly because the injectors and fuel lines have to be removed to do compression test and that is time consuming. 1k on top of haulout and survey costs is often a stretch on lower priced vessels.

If you are buying a vessel with a pair of 500hp, common rails with electronic fuel system, absolutely bite the bullet for two engine surveys.

I do advise a separate engine survey in my Scope of Survey Statement but truthfully this is just CYA. What I actually tell my clients is......
For older mechanical fuel systems whether big Perkins Lehmans or small Yanmars I'm not convinced a separate engine survey is warranted.
If the engine starts instantly, smoke clears in 30 seconds and the vessel responds to throttle there is likely not much wrong. Checking coolant condition, a close visual inspection of all hoses fuel and exhaust connections. monitoring temperatures of various parts of the engine (IR), load and shift operations during sea trial will tell you just about everything you need to know and all of this should be done by a competent surveyor whether or not an engine survey is on order.

I do advise a separate engine survey in my Scope of Survey Statement but truthfully this is just CYA
A lot of the threads these days involve the purchase of boats built in the 70's to 80's by people with little or no experience. We're talking 30- 45 year old diesels that cost 10- 20k to replace. Wouldn't you agree that for someone with no experience at least some kind of inspection by a mechanic makes sense? What kind of basic mechanic's inspection would you recommend & what would the typical cost for a small Yanmar, Volvo or Perkins be?
Old 19-12-2016, 07:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
My limited experience of owning only 5 boats tells me that for a 30+ year old boat with original engine one must budget either the cost of some rebuilt if not full re-power or at the least the cost of replacing some pricey items such as water pump, starter, alternator, etc. But if you're getting an otherwise decently kept boat it may be worth it as opposed to getting one with a newish or recently rebuilt engine but which otherwise is in less than nice condition for its age.

Contrary to popular opinion there is absolutely no need or reason to put a brand new $7-10K engine into a 30+ year old boat unless that boat is otherwise in A+ Bristol shape. Best approach is to install a rebuilt engine and such installation incl. the price of the used engine should not run more than $2,000-$3,000 if the same engine make and model is used. That way if yo have to sell you will not lose as much as you would with the new engine. It's cost will never be recaptured upon resale. While the cost of installing the used one probably can or be at least close.
2-3K to pull your motor, buy a rebuilt motor & install it? I don't know what you're smoking but I gotta get me sum a dat!
Old 19-12-2016, 07:58   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
2-3K to pull your motor, buy a rebuilt motor & install it? I don't know what you're smoking but I gotta get me sum a dat!
Yeah, it's going to cost me close to that just to replace the manifold and the plumbing that goes with it.
Old 19-12-2016, 08:18   #74

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Yeah, it's going to cost me close to that just to replace the manifold and the plumbing that goes with it.

Unless your photos are missing a big mess on the manifold I'm just not seeing why you think the manifold will need replacement?!?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 08:25   #75

The photos show the end of the manifold attached to a big rusty rotten mess. The bolts are going to break off when you turn them. If you take the big rusty mess to a machine shop to clean it, if they can clean it, it's going to cost more than a new one. If by some miracle, it's still serviceable, it still needs to come off for cleaning. I'm not in a position to tell a mechanic how to do it and so far, I'm not even able to find one who says he'll do it.