Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 10:43   #1

Boat: Catalina 320
Is this algae?

The picture is of a Racor 15gph filter after approximately 110 hours. The clear bowl had 1/4 inch of the same material in it with no water. It's now been 6 months and 50 hour so I replaced the filter again. I found nothing on the filter this time but I'm still getting some on the bottom of the bowl. The engine is a 1996 3gm30f if that makes a difference.

I have no access panel on the tank and the sending unit is in a ridiculous place to get to for a look. It was recommended I use a mantnance dose of Valvtect BioGuard to stop any new growth. The thinking is that my problem is minimal now and with regular filter changes and BioGuard in each fill up it shouldn't get any worse. But of course he's not the one coming through the inlet bridge with the tide ripping.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Thanks in advance, Woody

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455991878946.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	119320  
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 14:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Is this algae?

Looks like it. The best stuff I have used is Algae-x. I have mild steel 1942 built tanks that sat 6 years before I bought this boat. With Racor 30 micron filters and later 10 then 2 micron, my tanks are clean except for some surface rust that appears if I leave them empty. I also have a Algae-x inline magnet that catches any rust flakes, but is supposed to somehow make the fuel burn better. Found on many commercial boats.
My tanks are clean. I now run 2 micron primary filters all the time. I'm careful about where I buy the fuel. Docks serving commercial boats not yachts, etc.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 16:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Use a biocide even in colder climates, frequently in warm ones. Bugs like diesel and will make filter clogging goo if left to their druthers. Wouldn't go with a 2 micron filter straight from the tank. You are asking for an unexpected engine shutdown should any gunk get picked. 10 or 20 micron filter will not clog as readily. Save the 2 micron filter for the final filter.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 16:26   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Looks like it. The best stuff I have used is Algae-x. I have mild steel 1942 built tanks that sat 6 years before I bought this boat. With Racor 30 micron filters and later 10 then 2 micron, my tanks are clean except for some surface rust that appears if I leave them empty. I also have a Algae-x inline magnet that catches any rust flakes, but is supposed to somehow make the fuel burn better. Found on many commercial boats.
My tanks are clean. I now run 2 micron primary filters all the time. I'm careful about where I buy the fuel. Docks serving commercial boats not yachts, etc.
That's good news, every search I did on algae in tanks had gotten so bad they ended up removing them. I'm running a 10 micron Racor primary now with a standard Yanmar filter on the engine.

Thanks, Woody
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 17:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

it is absolutely impossible for "algae" to develop in a diesel fuel tank.
"Bacteria" can grow at the fuel/water interface if there is some water in your tank.