Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 06:38   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

I have a Yanmar 3GM30 and presumably the appropriate engine panel.

It's an old one without an hour counter on it.

Anyway, it seems like the panel might be dead, though I'm not really sure how to test it.

With the key in the ignition OFF position, I get a good solid 12-14v on the two terminals coming out of the back of the ignition barrel.

With the key in the ON position, I get 0v.

Resistance between those two posts is -1 in the OFF position (i.e there's no circuit), and in the ON position it varies/jumps around a bit but is <100 ohm

Suffice to say, I get no buzzer, lights or anything else on the panel, so it seems that somewhere, somehow power is not getting through.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

It is probably a Yanmar Model B panel.

You have a corroded wire or wires in the circuit or a bad switch. You can get a remote starter switch at any auto supply store and use it to bypass the switch. If it is not the switch then you need to start testing wires until you find the bad one (unless it is visible).
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48   #3

I'm guessing a remote switch just shorts the white and red ( 30a fused) cables that come from the starter motor area?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:53   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Check the wiring harness feed TO the panel.
I suspect you have a loose 12 volt feed.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14   #5

also, check any plastic multi wire connectors. These often get a little corrosion inside on the pins. They may be located near the panel or at the engine... or in between!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 00:48   #6

I was having a lovely dream last night, when this buzzing sound entered the dream and followed me every where I went. I woke up at 04:30 to find that the buzzing sound was real.

I was confused at where it was coming from. Was it my battery charger? Nope. Was it the shorepower (I only had 60p left of credit), nope. Then it clicked. It was the instrument panel.

While messing about testing I accidentally left the key in the ON position, and now the panel was full of life.

Nothing had moved at all since earlier in the day when I was conducting my tests. My bet is that the panel had been wet as we'd have crazy rain here, and it's not the best protected.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:27   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I have a Yanmar 3GM30 and presumably the appropriate engine panel.

It's an old one without an hour counter on it.

Anyway, it seems like the panel might be dead, though I'm not really sure how to test it.

With the key in the ignition OFF position, I get a good solid 12-14v on the two terminals coming out of the back of the ignition barrel.

With the key in the ON position, I get 0v.

Resistance between those two posts is -1 in the OFF position (i.e there's no circuit), and in the ON position it varies/jumps around a bit but is <100 ohm

Suffice to say, I get no buzzer, lights or anything else on the panel, so it seems that somewhere, somehow power is not getting through.
I think you are correct in that you are not really sure how to test it .

First up, put the black lead (-ve) on your voltmeter (multimeter) on the negative pole of your battery (or on a negative busbar).

Put the red lead (+ve) on one terminal and then the other terminal of the key switch (leave it in the "off" position). One terminal should be around 12V and the other will be about 0 V.

Now turn the switch "on" and both terminals should be around 12V. If so, all should be good but if not, read on.

If both terminals read considerably less than 12 V (say less than 9 V), then you have a problem with the power coming from the 30 Amp fuse - most likely corrosion in the fuse contacts or in the multipole connector at the back of the engine.

However if one terminal stays about 12V and the other is considerably less (when the switch is "on"), then the switch is suspect. To prove this, short out the two terminals on the switch - this mimics turning the switch "on".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I think you are correct in that you are not really sure how to test it .

First up, put the black lead (-ve) on your voltmeter (multimeter) on the negative pole of your battery (or on a negative busbar).

Put the red lead (+ve) on one terminal and then the other terminal of the key switch (leave it in the "off" position). One terminal should be around 12V and the other will be about 0 V.

Now turn the switch "on" and both terminals should be around 12V. If so, all should be good but if not, read on.

If both terminals read considerably less than 12 V (say less than 9 V), then you have a problem with the power coming from the 30 Amp fuse - most likely corrosion in the fuse contacts or in the multipole connector at the back of the engine.

However if one terminal stays about 12V and the other is considerably less (when the switch is "on"), then the switch is suspect. To prove this, short out the two terminals on the switch - this mimics turning the switch "on".
Ah, that makes sense. Silly me.

I've now tried that and get a strong 12v on one terminal when OFF and both terminals when ON, but of course the panel is working fine now. I can't seem to replicate the failure.

When it wasn't working, shorting the two terminals (which is something I did try), did not produce any reaction, despite a good 12v coming into the panel.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54   #9

Boat: Island Packet 35

Hey Mike- Don't panic! I had the same problem on our '89 IP 35. The prior owner had the same problem and installed a hot wire switch. Like you I went all over the wiring harness and couldn't find the source; thought it may be the key switch. I checked with the All Things Yanmar Guy at Deaton Yacht Service, here in Oriental NC. He suggested I check the 30A Buss fuse in the small wire from the starter to the ignition switch. They used a real cheap fuse holder and corrosion can be a problem. The fuse on my boat is just inside the port engine compartment door, near the starter. I pulled the fuse, cleaned it and the holder, and put some dielectric grease on the contacts. Haven't had a problem since. The guy suggested changing out the fuse holder for a more substantial one if the issue persists. Try this before you make any big investments of time or money. Best of luck.
buckoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:10   #10

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I'm guessing a remote switch just shorts the white and red ( 30a fused) cables that come from the starter motor area?

The red wire "from the starter area", is the 12v supply for the engine panel. It comes from the starter battery cable. The white wire is the solenoids trigger voltage from start button..

There is a fuse hidden in the harness on that red wire, BTW.

Check for 12v to the switch on the red wire. Then check for voltage out of the switch when on.

If no output, a quick test would be a jumper across the switch. Input to output bypasses the switch, and should give you lights and buzzer.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:52   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

neighbor with yannie thought he had issues until he rewired his panel., now it works. however if you merely want a new panel with a hobbs meter, buy one and do the rewire as you install it. same results only you donot have to guess about engine hours until the hobbs meter stops working. that is usually just after the fuel gauge fail.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29   #12

Well it is working now, so I will leave well alone and install a separate start button for emergencies should one ever arise.

The 30amp fuse is perfectly fine. The holder is fine too. They benefit from being swapped out for an automotive spade fuse, but that is neither here nor there in terms of the panel.

When it comes time to clean the engine, I will be removing and replacing many of the terminals for my own piece of mind.

I really do think it is the panel itself, well the ignition switch, but I need another failure to test.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
It is probably a Yanmar Model B panel.

You have a corroded wire or wires in the circuit or a bad switch. You can get a remote starter switch at any auto supply store and use it to bypass the switch. If it is not the switch then you need to start testing wires until you find the bad one (unless it is visible).
Ditto
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:17   #14

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I had issues with my Yanmar panel. Not fixable. Bought and installed a new one. Easy and under $50
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:19   #15

I'm guessing you bought a used one, as new ones would be closer to £600 GBP

Tags
men, rum, yanmar