Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 06:38   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 571
Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

I have a Yanmar 3GM30 and presumably the appropriate engine panel.

It's an old one without an hour counter on it.

Anyway, it seems like the panel might be dead, though I'm not really sure how to test it.

With the key in the ignition OFF position, I get a good solid 12-14v on the two terminals coming out of the back of the ignition barrel.

With the key in the ON position, I get 0v.

Resistance between those two posts is -1 in the OFF position (i.e there's no circuit), and in the ON position it varies/jumps around a bit but is <100 ohm

Suffice to say, I get no buzzer, lights or anything else on the panel, so it seems that somewhere, somehow power is not getting through.
__________________

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11   #2
Registered User
 
TheOffice's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Annapolis
Boat: Hylas 44
Posts: 623
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

It is probably a Yanmar Model B panel.

You have a corroded wire or wires in the circuit or a bad switch. You can get a remote starter switch at any auto supply store and use it to bypass the switch. If it is not the switch then you need to start testing wires until you find the bad one (unless it is visible).
__________________

TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 571
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

I'm guessing a remote switch just shorts the white and red ( 30a fused) cables that come from the starter motor area?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:53   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,132
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Check the wiring harness feed TO the panel.
I suspect you have a loose 12 volt feed.
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 20,209
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

also, check any plastic multi wire connectors. These often get a little corrosion inside on the pins. They may be located near the panel or at the engine... or in between!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 00:48   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 571
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

I was having a lovely dream last night, when this buzzing sound entered the dream and followed me every where I went. I woke up at 04:30 to find that the buzzing sound was real.

I was confused at where it was coming from. Was it my battery charger? Nope. Was it the shorepower (I only had 60p left of credit), nope. Then it clicked. It was the instrument panel.

While messing about testing I accidentally left the key in the ON position, and now the panel was full of life.

Nothing had moved at all since earlier in the day when I was conducting my tests. My bet is that the panel had been wet as we'd have crazy rain here, and it's not the best protected.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:27   #7
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 8,055
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I have a Yanmar 3GM30 and presumably the appropriate engine panel.

It's an old one without an hour counter on it.

Anyway, it seems like the panel might be dead, though I'm not really sure how to test it.

With the key in the ignition OFF position, I get a good solid 12-14v on the two terminals coming out of the back of the ignition barrel.

With the key in the ON position, I get 0v.

Resistance between those two posts is -1 in the OFF position (i.e there's no circuit), and in the ON position it varies/jumps around a bit but is <100 ohm

Suffice to say, I get no buzzer, lights or anything else on the panel, so it seems that somewhere, somehow power is not getting through.
I think you are correct in that you are not really sure how to test it .

First up, put the black lead (-ve) on your voltmeter (multimeter) on the negative pole of your battery (or on a negative busbar).

Put the red lead (+ve) on one terminal and then the other terminal of the key switch (leave it in the "off" position). One terminal should be around 12V and the other will be about 0 V.

Now turn the switch "on" and both terminals should be around 12V. If so, all should be good but if not, read on.

If both terminals read considerably less than 12 V (say less than 9 V), then you have a problem with the power coming from the 30 Amp fuse - most likely corrosion in the fuse contacts or in the multipole connector at the back of the engine.

However if one terminal stays about 12V and the other is considerably less (when the switch is "on"), then the switch is suspect. To prove this, short out the two terminals on the switch - this mimics turning the switch "on".
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:46   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 571
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I think you are correct in that you are not really sure how to test it .

First up, put the black lead (-ve) on your voltmeter (multimeter) on the negative pole of your battery (or on a negative busbar).

Put the red lead (+ve) on one terminal and then the other terminal of the key switch (leave it in the "off" position). One terminal should be around 12V and the other will be about 0 V.

Now turn the switch "on" and both terminals should be around 12V. If so, all should be good but if not, read on.

If both terminals read considerably less than 12 V (say less than 9 V), then you have a problem with the power coming from the 30 Amp fuse - most likely corrosion in the fuse contacts or in the multipole connector at the back of the engine.

However if one terminal stays about 12V and the other is considerably less (when the switch is "on"), then the switch is suspect. To prove this, short out the two terminals on the switch - this mimics turning the switch "on".
Ah, that makes sense. Silly me.

I've now tried that and get a strong 12v on one terminal when OFF and both terminals when ON, but of course the panel is working fine now. I can't seem to replicate the failure.

When it wasn't working, shorting the two terminals (which is something I did try), did not produce any reaction, despite a good 12v coming into the panel.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Island Packet 35
Posts: 13
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Hey Mike- Don't panic! I had the same problem on our '89 IP 35. The prior owner had the same problem and installed a hot wire switch. Like you I went all over the wiring harness and couldn't find the source; thought it may be the key switch. I checked with the All Things Yanmar Guy at Deaton Yacht Service, here in Oriental NC. He suggested I check the 30A Buss fuse in the small wire from the starter to the ignition switch. They used a real cheap fuse holder and corrosion can be a problem. The fuse on my boat is just inside the port engine compartment door, near the starter. I pulled the fuse, cleaned it and the holder, and put some dielectric grease on the contacts. Haven't had a problem since. The guy suggested changing out the fuse holder for a more substantial one if the issue persists. Try this before you make any big investments of time or money. Best of luck.
buckoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:10   #10
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,170
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I'm guessing a remote switch just shorts the white and red ( 30a fused) cables that come from the starter motor area?

The red wire "from the starter area", is the 12v supply for the engine panel. It comes from the starter battery cable. The white wire is the solenoids trigger voltage from start button..

There is a fuse hidden in the harness on that red wire, BTW.

Check for 12v to the switch on the red wire. Then check for voltage out of the switch when on.

If no output, a quick test would be a jumper across the switch. Input to output bypasses the switch, and should give you lights and buzzer.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:52   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 18,086
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

neighbor with yannie thought he had issues until he rewired his panel., now it works. however if you merely want a new panel with a hobbs meter, buy one and do the rewire as you install it. same results only you donot have to guess about engine hours until the hobbs meter stops working. that is usually just after the fuel gauge fail.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 571
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Well it is working now, so I will leave well alone and install a separate start button for emergencies should one ever arise.

The 30amp fuse is perfectly fine. The holder is fine too. They benefit from being swapped out for an automotive spade fuse, but that is neither here nor there in terms of the panel.

When it comes time to clean the engine, I will be removing and replacing many of the terminals for my own piece of mind.

I really do think it is the panel itself, well the ignition switch, but I need another failure to test.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33   #13
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 7,022
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
It is probably a Yanmar Model B panel.

You have a corroded wire or wires in the circuit or a bad switch. You can get a remote starter switch at any auto supply store and use it to bypass the switch. If it is not the switch then you need to start testing wires until you find the bad one (unless it is visible).
Ditto
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:17   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Posts: 319
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

I had issues with my Yanmar panel. Not fixable. Bought and installed a new one. Easy and under $50
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:19   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 571
Re: Is my Yanmar instrument panel dead?

I'm guessing you bought a used one, as new ones would be closer to £600 GBP
__________________

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men, rum, yanmar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: yanmar instrument panel part 128391 91130 K38bob Classifieds Archive 5 21-09-2014 19:20
For Sale: Yanmar Instrument B Panel - new s4sail Classifieds Archive 6 01-04-2014 10:13
Catalina 42 Eletrical Instrument Panel for Yanmar Engine ahab10 Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 19-07-2011 01:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.