Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 21:29   #1

Boat: Santana 22
Is it enough?

When I bought my Santana 22 it came with an older 6hp Evinrude outboard. It is getting long in the teeth and I have began to think a new motor is in order. I have had good luck with Honda outboards in the past so that is what I have been looking at.
When I went to my local dealer, in the Honda's he had the 5hp but the next up was an 8hp. I am wondering if 5hp is enough, but I worry that 8hp is over doing it. What is your opinions on this?

Second, the same dealer also sells Tohatsu outboards and the price is somewhat lower than the Honda. Any opinions on the Tohatsu as far as quality and ability to get parts and service if needed. This motor will be operated in salt water if that matters.
SUSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:00   #2

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37
Re: Is it enough?

I use a 6hp on my RIB/dinghy. Between the two, I'd go for the 8hp. The next time the winds are on your nose and you need to motor you'll be glad for the extra hp. - JK
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:16   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You're using it to help the boat out of the slip against the wind, I suppose. Honestly, I think your old 6, especially if it's a 2 cycle motor, would be just fine.

FWIW, I've seen 5hp, and even 3 hp motors on dinghies that were hip tied moving 40+ ft. boats around at 3 and 4 knots. Sailboats are designed to slip through the water with very little effort.

Save yourself some money, eh?

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 23:28   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I'd agree with Ann on keeping the old motor if it is still reasonably serviceable unless fuel consumption or some other restriction on two stroke is a big deal to you. If you are to go new 4 stroke, single cylinder units are renowned for vibration. A twin cylinder 8hp will be a lot smoother. Weigh (pun intended) that against the 5hp which would still push the boat reasonably well and will be lighter to handle and will probably have an internal tank as well (reserve capacity). As for the Tohatsu, I'd choose it over the Honda based on value for money provided there are sufficient dealers near to you. With the latter, keep in mind that smaller Mercury motors at least are usually badge engineered Tohey's so are a source of spares as well.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 23:42   #5

Thanks for the info. The 2-stroke 6hp that I have is needing about $400.00 in repair. It does run, but not well. I was thinking about a new motor for reliability reasons and ease of getting spare parts when needed.
Old 02-06-2015, 00:21   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Whatever you choose, see if a "pusher prop" (low pitch, high blade area prop) is available for it. The difference is remarkable. Most OB props are pitched for a planing dinghy, not a displacement sail boat.

A 5HP with the right prop could be better in terms of grip and useable power than an 8HP with a high speed prop that just cavitates when you open up the throttle. Of course the 8HP with a pusher prop would be better still, but the weight on the stern is a big factor to my mind.

Matt

P.S. The guy who bought our Austral 20 (slightly heavier and a lot beamier than your Santana 22) swapped the existing recommended 8HP for a 5HP with low pitch prop and said it was excellent. I must say the lighter weight on the stern would have really helped that boat too.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:27   #7

Boat: Sabre 28

The 6hp tohatsu sailpro is a wonderful engine. I had that on a Compac 23, it replaced an older 8hp Johnson.

There are a few cruising Alberg 30s that use the Sailpro. Should be plenty for your boat.

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:58   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a Bristol 27 which weighs about twice as much as your Santana 22 and I have a 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury with the 25" extra long shaft. It has the same prop as the ones used on a dinghy

It does the job well and uses about half the gas of a 2 stroke. I just used the fuel I had from last October on Sunday am. I cranked up the outboard and ran it for the last 3 hours of my return trip from up the bay so I could point higher to hit my mark. Engine was on about 1/4-1/3 throttle with just the main up.

I've used that engine to motor 18 miles or so across the lower Chesapeake also when the conditions are right.

The outboard is on an adjustable bracket with 14" swing. It is in the 2nd to last hole from the bottom in these pictures.

The motor is also light enough that I can take it off the bracket and mount it on the stern railing on long trips or when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01825.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	103073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01826.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	103074  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Let me share some gossip. This is a, "so I was told", statement that I suspect is true, but not verified!

When I bought my four-stroke 5hp Tohatsu I was told that these outboard engines are all made by Tohatsu and companies such as Mercury and Honda are finishing them off with their accessories and design package.

Who had better knowledge? ..any truth to this?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Let me share some gossip. This is a, "so I was told", statement that I suspect is true, but not verified!

When I bought my four-stroke 5hp Tohatsu I was told that these outboard engines are all made by Tohatsu and companies such as Mercury and Honda are finishing them off with their accessories and design package.

Mercury definitely for the small stuff with the occasional minor difference, but Honda make their own outboards of their own design for all sizes afaik.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:42   #11

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

SUSailor, Just an observation! I sail in the BVI's and almost all of the charter companies are replacing their more expensive Yamaha's with Tohatsu's. I doubt seriously that if it were inferior that they would do that. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:17   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Honda and Yamaha make their own small outboards. Most others like Mercury, Nissan, Suzuki, Evenrude are made by Tohatsu and rebranded.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:45   #13

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Perhaps more important than the motor horsepower is the prop diameter and prop pitch. If your 6hp currently does the job and has a stock prop, you will find you will get better performance from a 5hp that has the right prop. It makes a huge difference and is so often ignored.

Personally, i'd stick with the old engine until it blew up catastrophically, but if you're intent on getting a new one then i can recommend the Tohatsu. I have a 2-stroke 3.5hp Tohatsu that is now 7 years old and going beautifully. It's been sunk, set on fire once (through my idiocy, not the fault of the manufacturer!) and generally abused daily and it's brilliant. I have no experience with the 6hp though, or the 4-stroke models.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:25   #14

Great info from all. It is greatly appreciated. My reason for considering a replacement is that my current motor was made in 1973, and getting parts for it is very much hit and miss. I have plans for a trip up the inland passage to Alaska in the next few years and a break down in the middle of absolute no where and having to wait for parts or perhaps having a new motor shipped at heavens knows what cost is kind of a scary thought.
From what I have heard and found on the web so far, it sounds as though the Tohatsu's are gaining good acceptance so parts if needed should be readily available.
If anyone here has the experience I am curious how the Tohatsu compares to the Honda? I do know the Honda has a great reputation and my Honda 2K generator has been outstanding.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSailor View Post
Great info from all. It is greatly appreciated. My reason for considering a replacement is that my current motor was made in 1973, and getting parts for it is very much hit and miss. I have plans for a trip up the inland passage to Alaska in the next few years and a break down in the middle of absolute no where and having to wait for parts or perhaps having a new motor shipped at heavens knows what cost is kind of a scary thought.
From what I have heard and found on the web so far, it sounds as though the Tohatsu's are gaining good acceptance so parts if needed should be readily available.
If anyone here has the experience I am curious how the Tohatsu compares to the Honda? I do know the Honda has a great reputation and my Honda 2K generator has been outstanding.
I doubt you'd have any major inherent issues with the Tohatsu. It's rare to hear anything bad about them. My favourite brand is Yamaha, but I do - and have - owned a few 2 stroke Tohatsu engines from 3.5 to 18 hp and have never had any dramas with them.