Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 15:36   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is diesel oil always black instantly?

Trivia, but VW was only the last to get caught, many have gone before, and more than one has done almost exactly the same as VW.
This article, only covers recent cheating, but it has been rampant over the years, remember the 5 mph bumpers?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ndal-cheating/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 07:48   #62

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Is diesel oil always black instantly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Easy: put it in TWO (or more) bags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yeah but....

That doesn't stop the exterior of the pump getting coated which is the concern sailah has (AFAICT).
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
He means the pump gets oily and slippery inside the bag.

I keep some cheap Harbor Freight oil absorbent cloths handy and ty-wrap one around the end of the hoses of the hand pump. Some oil drips out but the cloth absorbs it and when it gets saturated I replace it.

Right the pump I have is this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-66418.html

The problem with storing it in a plastic bag is that no matter how clean i wipe it down, oil creeps out and coats the bag, just a mess and an annoyance nothing more.

The pump actually works quite well, the only issues I've had are the suction line easily collapses and you need to be careful shoving the plunger down to discharge the oil. Once the outlet line came flying off and shot oil all over the place.

I've decided I'm going to buy a 12v oil pump this year and install. Will plumb directly to Westerbeke siphon tube with ball valve shutoff. Will also install 3 way valve so I can connect short wand. My V drive drains into engine tray so easier to vacuum it up. Outlet to 2.5G rotella catch jug.

I wish there was a real drill powered gear pump I could mount since I always have a 18V Makita drill aboard. Everything I've seen is a converted SB Chevy oil pump and leaks.

Heavy Duty Rear Mount Oil Gear Pump 12v 12 volt Scavenge Replace STS white | eBay
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:00   #63

Boat: Gulf 32

Wow, reading the specs on this pumps says max oil temperature is 65 degrees... deal killer for me as I like to change the oil warm to hot while all the junk is still in suspension.
Old 18-07-2017, 15:15   #64

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post

The problem with storing it in a plastic bag is that no matter how clean i wipe it down, oil creeps out and coats the bag, just a mess and an annoyance nothing more.

The pump actually works quite well, the only issues I've had are the suction line easily collapses and you need to be careful shoving the plunger down to discharge the oil. Once the outlet line came flying off and shot oil all over the place.

I've decided I'm going to buy a 12v oil pump this year and install. Will plumb directly to Westerbeke siphon tube with ball valve shutoff. Will also install 3 way valve so I can connect short wand. My V drive drains into engine tray so easier to vacuum it up. Outlet to 2.5G rotella catch jug.

I wish there was a real drill powered gear pump I could mount since I always have a 18V Makita drill aboard. Everything I've seen is a converted SB Chevy oil pump and leaks.

Heavy Duty Rear Mount Oil Gear Pump 12v 12 volt Scavenge Replace STS white | eBay
Having a permanently installed 12v oil change pump sounds like an awesome convenience. For anyone else thinking "no way I'm bothering to install something like that" - just use an oversized bag and put absorber pads in with the hand pump. Replace when they get oily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Wow, reading the specs on this pumps says max oil temperature is 65 degrees... deal killer for me as I like to change the oil warm to hot while all the junk is still in suspension.
Looks like a lot of the specs are metric, most likely 65 C (150 F). Funny they don't specify though.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:24   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I've decided I'm going to buy a 12v oil pump this year and install. Will plumb directly to Westerbeke siphon tube with ball valve shutoff.
Why not plum directly to the oil pan drain, that's what we did with our Westerbeke.
Old 18-07-2017, 16:43   #66

Boat: Cal 33-2

Quote:

Just get one of the "vacuum" units with the pump and container combined like this Moeller. A dozen or so pumps and you can walk away if you want while the unit does its job. Try one once and you will never look back.
Moeller Fluid Extractor Manual Pump - 5 Liter
Old 18-07-2017, 20:36   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Why not plum directly to the oil pan drain, that's what we did with our Westerbeke.

That's what I was trying to type the oil pan drain hose thanks.
Old 18-07-2017, 20:41   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Just get one of the "vacuum" units with the pump and container combined like this Moeller. A dozen or so pumps and you can walk away if you want while the unit does its job. Try one once and you will never look back.
Moeller Fluid Extractor Manual Pump - 5 Liter
I've used those before and not been impressed but perhaps it wasn't that model. Also capacity isn't great for my needs. I buy rotella in 2.5 gal containers which I find ideal for dealing with waste oil. Not too heavy, holds all oil on my boat including transmission
Old 20-07-2017, 01:05   #69

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
I would trust VW way way way before EPA.
Nice to see that swamp getting drained....
You're setting an extremely low bar. Echoes of Enron brass to employees prior to crashing, "Now is the time increase your investment shares in Enron !"
Trust is earned, VW needs to regain that trust. Saying it's normal (in a current model VW diesels) when there are other diesels of comparable vintage that have less carbon particulates in their oil and therefore less dirty oil seems like a further coverup; I believe your trust is misplaced.
Old 20-07-2017, 02:45   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
You're setting an extremely low bar. Echoes of Enron brass to employees prior to crashing, "Now is the time increase your investment shares in Enron !"
Trust is earned, VW needs to regain that trust. Saying it's normal (in a current model VW diesels) when there are other diesels of comparable vintage that have less carbon particulates in their oil and therefore less dirty oil seems like a further coverup; I believe your trust is misplaced.
ENRON? Not sure how ENRON fits into a comparison between a group of manufacturers (including VW) who together have designed, manufactured and produced the most efficient, cleanest, most powerful and reliable internal combustion engines used in every country in the world
...........and a bunch of pencil pushers who produce nothing and are passengers on the taxpayer Gravey Train.
Drain the EPA Swamp...

Tags
diesel, oil