Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-11-2015, 15:10   #16

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Interesting diesel problem

Fuel filter gasket not seating properly.

Enough fuel to start is stored between filter and pump. During off time, air leaks in, bubble forms inside top of filter. Restart, run for a few minutes, bubble gets to pump, engine stops. Prime run, run all day. Stop overnight, air sucked back in, and repeat..

Check you have not got two rubber gaskets installed by mistake. You will not find an air leak with tissue paper, air molecules are smaller than diesel, air will get in when drips wont get out.

Re-seat your filters, esp, secondary one, and if it has a nut at the top, (not spin-on) check that gasket/washer.

Old 27-11-2015, 15:24   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Check your copper washers on the fuel line bleed points. They can only be crushed so many times before they wear out."
Actually, crush washers are designed for ONE use and one time use only. Best bought in boxes by the dozen, because the size you need next time will never be in stock, and you'll always be trying to replace them two or three times while you're bleeding the damned system. Box of a dozen usually costs less than the shipping or handling fee for just one or two.

Old 27-11-2015, 16:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Good old eBay...

Heavy Duty 110 PC Copper Washer Assortment SAE Oil Brake Clutch Line Seal | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...782&mfe=search
Old 27-11-2015, 17:05   #19

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Fuel filter gasket not seating properly.

Enough fuel to start is stored between filter and pump. During off time, air leaks in, bubble forms inside top of filter. Restart, run for a few minutes, bubble gets to pump, engine stops. Prime run, run all day. Stop overnight, air sucked back in, and repeat..

Check you have not got two rubber gaskets installed by mistake. You will not find an air leak with tissue paper, air molecules are smaller than diesel, air will get in when drips wont get out.

Re-seat your filters, esp, secondary one, and if it has a nut at the top, (not spin-on) check that gasket/washer.
+1

I was taught that when annealing copper it gets the softest if left to cool slowly . I have also missed removing an old rubber gasket on a fuel filter and experienced similar issues. Two gaskets are definitely not better than one.
Old 28-11-2015, 00:10   #20
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

[QUOTE=Guy;1972896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I think you do get it slightly softer if it is left to cool naturally.

Not how I remember it. Until I made it to the big league, we would anneal all the gaskets when we cleaned spark plugs. You put a string of them on a steel rod, heat them dark red one at a time and knock them off into a bucket of water as soon as possible. If you got them to the right temp and cooled them quickly enough they would look all clean and new. The big league uses new gaskets.
Two different things here
Heating and quenching does anneal the copper and also the quenching pops off the oxide layer developed during the heating thus leaving the copper surface looking good.
Slow cooling does not pop off the oxide layer so much leaving it sort of dirty looking but does make for a slightly softer result IMO.

But really it is bludi small difference and speed and shiny wins for most
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 02:39   #21

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Had a similar issue with my 30 up nanni. Seems it was the fuel return line sucking air back into the engine.

I put a valve on it and left it closed, and now it seems the problem is solved. In my case the problem only occurred when the engine was left for a few days, when I assume air was getting into the system somehow as the fuel drained down the return line.

So maybe you got a big slug of air in the return line wheb the engine ran dry, that migrates up to the top of the system over time. There probably should be a pressure relief/non return valve in the system, but I guess mine has stopped sealing properly.

On my engine the return runs from the point where the fuel line joins the injector pump.

The return line from the injectors is tee'd into the secondary filter (for better or worse). It all seems to work fine now with the addition of the closed valve in the line back to the tank.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-11-2015, 02:47   #22

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

My nanni 30hp is the older 4.110he. So it may be a different setup to yours.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-12-2015, 18:40   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by t140frank View Post
Check your copper washers on the fuel line bleed points. They can only be crushed so many times before they wear out. Buy some new ones if there available locally. If not you can remove the old ones and if they do not have any radial defects in them you can heat them up red-hot with a lighter and quench them in a glass of water. This will allow them to be compressed again. Just do it away from the engine bay and hold the washers with a pair pillars or small wire.
Oh and watch out they will be hot.
Bingo! I had to do it twice, but heating the crush washers cherry red with a propane torch and quenching in water did the trick. I will buy a barrel of these things when I can so I can change them out whenever I bleed the system.
Thanks to all for the replies!

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:55   #24

Boat: Herreshoff Prudence design #71

Glad to hear you got her fixed on the cheap. I've used this trick on both my Triumph motorcycles and my Yanmar 1GM.
If I'm not mistaken I think this is the method Yanmar suggest in an old copy of their shop manual if you don't have access to new copper washers. I'd have to look but pretty sure I ran across it the other day.
Anyway happy sailing.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: