Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-09-2013, 18:06   #1

Interchangeability of tractor version with marine diesel 4107

Sometimes, when you are looking desperately for parts for your 4107, you come across another engine, perhaps marine, perhaps stationary from a tractor, it's possible.

Are the engines interchangeable? Are there parts that are not interchangeable? Are the basic components interchangeable?

Such as block, pistons, rings, injector pump, radiator, etc.

Old 21-09-2013, 23:54   #2

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Interchangeability of tractor version with marine diesel 4107

Hello, Engine manufacturers can't make money from the relatively small volume of marine diesels (Sorry but my experience is only with diesels) so the majority are marinised versions of car/van/truck engines. The base engines are identical, as are all the internal parts, the only difference is in the engine mountings and the cooling system. You mentioned the Perkins 4107, millions of these are fitted to different models of Massey Ferguson tractors, combine harvesters, forklifts, small earth movers and generators etc. If you need new parts for the engine then I suggest you contact parts4engines.com. For marinising parts, engine mountings, cooling systems etc.contact ASAP Supplies.com, another excellent family business is Lancing Marine.co.uk for all things on all marine diesels. The company that marinises new Perkins engines are Perkins-Sabre.com Whilst these company's are based in the UK in the best of British business tradition they will ship worldwide to any boat owner.
Perkins engines are now a subsidiary of Caterpillar and apart from using Perkins engines themselves they also supply spare parts. However I do urge you to 'shop around' and compare prices to get the best deal and avoid heavy dealer 'mark ups' on prices.
I hope this helps, if you need more information drop me a message.

Old 22-09-2013, 02:15   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

The engine production number and a copy of the Perkins parts listing pdf will tell you what you need to know. It was more a matter of when the engine was built as to what parts may have been changed or upgraded. When you order an injection pump or other internal engine part the first thing the dealer will want to know is aforementioned production /engine id number.
Old 22-09-2013, 02:47   #4

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Great advice from both posts, saved me typing LOL
Can't stress the importance of the numbers enough to a good parts dept.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 22-09-2013, 07:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Probably (haven't really looked) not so much with small diesels, but the camshaft lobes may be ground with a milder rise and overlap. Too much overlap can lead to water ingestion. Its one of the reasons some big gas engines are rated at lower HP than their automotive brethren.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:29   #6

The marine or industrial version of a particular engine may have a slightly different cam grind, and governor setting than that same engine in a truck or taxi, but from my limited experiance with a marinized automotive Mercedes engine in a boat, it wont make any significant difference. In fact, the Mercedes engine in my boat, which started in a sedan, was one of the nicest diesels that I have owned. As has been already said, NUMBERS MATTER. ____Good Luck ________Grant.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:37   #7
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just be aware that there are loads of minor variants of Perkins engines around.

Furthermore while its true that many engines are marinations of automotive or truck engines, its not true that in all cases base parts are interchangeable. Many engines are significantly tweaked by big marinizers like Yanmar and Volvo Penta. Head, pistons, cranks, cams, etc are often difficult, tweaked or modified in some way.

Its not an area for the uninformed to tread.

Dave
Old 24-09-2013, 12:20   #8

I agree with goboatingnow but would respectfully add that small Volvo diesels (up to 30 hp) along with Case engines amongst others are built in Perkins Engine factories. Like wise Yanmar use Toyota base engines as well as other Japanese manufactured engines.
When Perkins update their engines the parts are generally replacements for older designs and are interchangeable, some for engineering reasons and some for environmental. For example the 'new' big end bearings are now lead free but as a result the replacement has more than twice the working life of the old superseded part. If in doubt and you need part numbers you can download a workshop manual free online.
I hope this helps you.
Old 24-09-2013, 13:48   #9

It amazes me that a manufacturer could make a bearing that will last twice as long, but didnt do it until an environmental issue required it. Even if the new bearings cost twice as much to make, I dont think it would make a big difference in the cost of a new engine. It is also nice to see an environmental issue that improved an engine rather than making it more complicated and less reliable. It sounds like a great thing. _____Grant.
Old 24-09-2013, 18:09   #10

Yep, I guess its called progress. I'm not sure of the regulations in the US on particulate emissions but here in Europe it was the ever tightening regulations that drove the engine manufacturers to the common rail diesel because they couldn't reduce the emissions by mechanical means.
Old 24-09-2013, 20:02   #11

I live in California, and the regulations here have been the cause of a fair amount of the unemployment in this state. Diesels before a certain year have to be upgraded to a new smog standard that costs between $12000, and $20000, depending on the vehicle. last year I saw a beautiful Peterbuilt tractor and double flat beds go for $5000 at auction. It was sold to another state where it will probably work for many years. A huge Caterpillar generator that was big enough to run a small city, went for $15000 to a contractor that was building a hotel in Africa, and could not depend on the local power supply. The rules have hit the big boats in the state at replacement time, but I dont think they are saying that you cant run it anymore until an upgrade. Farmers with engines over 50 HP are getting hit. I am not opposed to the govt. or to environmental regulations if they are reasonable, but damn, cant they do this in a reasonable manner. Do we all want to upgrade our old Volvo,Perkins,Yanmar engines even tho, we are a grain of sand in the environmental problem. Sorry for the rant. _____Grant.

Tags
diesel, marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: