Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 17:11   #1

Boat: Aleutka 25
Installing Shift/Throttle Control Box for Outboard Motor

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some suggestions or guidance. I have a Honda BF100 (9.9hp) transom mounted on my sailboat. The problem I'm experiencing is that in order to operate the tiller/throttle and shift gears I have to hang off the back of the boat - quite a precarious position and (I think) dangerous.

I've come across PowerTiller which looks very interesting. It's a little more than I was hoping to spend though. Honda has an adapter kit with steering link arm, shift & throttle ready to receive cable from a control box for $200.

I thought maybe I could pick up a control box fairly inexpensively but I'm not sure whether the control box must meet certain requirements (it didn't sound like it when I spoke with Honda, the adapter kit just provides cable connection points) or if any control box should work.

This link (Columns - Obsolete Outboards) offered some good information on control boxes (assuming it might apply in my situation).

Has anyone done this themselves or are able to offer some guidance?

Thanks
Jacqui
DolphinSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Installing Shift/Throttle Control Box for Outboard Motor

Just make sure you get one with the right push and pull. Outboards push and pull the gears and throttle in different directions depending on make. Yamaha even mixed them up depending on who made the engine.

After market ones can work either way. Teleflex is one make:

Teleflex Morse Engine and Steering controls from Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
control box, motor, outboard