Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang!! that thing is built!...Mine is a paper tiger in comparison..

What does she displace?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:47   #47

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It displaces 15-16K# after all the upgrades and drag'in about 8K# lead.

The next problem I ran into today was trying to install the tachometer magnetic pickup probe. It's threaded 3/4"-10 but Yanmar has drilled a 18 mm threaded hole over the flywheel. Do you think I can find a 18 mm probe online? NOT!

So, I'm emailing Yanmar and Teleflex tonight to see if I get a response. Wish me luck! I may end up drilling it out to the 3/4".

Anyone know who sells metric mag. pickup's, all I can find are 3/4 & 5/8".
Old 09-03-2010, 22:29   #48

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Unbelievable...Im pushing 27000 and know that with full crusing stores it will be close to 30K...My hull is about 3/8 " thick

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Unbelievable...Im pushing 27000 and know that with full crusing stores it will be close to 30K...My hull is about 3/8 " thick

I'd bet you get a smoother ride on those choppy days. Mo betta for a family. I'm a bit hard core. Never been sea sick in my life.

I once had a 40' powerboat with semi-displacement hull that displaced 13 tons, it was like driving a Cadillac.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:02   #50

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

The next problem I ran into today was trying to install the tachometer magnetic pickup probe. It's threaded 3/4"-10 but Yanmar has drilled a 18 mm threaded hole over the flywheel. Do you think I can find a 18 mm probe online? NOT!

So, I'm emailing Yanmar and Teleflex tonight to see if I get a response. Wish me luck! I may end up drilling it out to the 3/4".

Anyone know who sells metric mag. pickup's, all I can find are 3/4 & 5/8".
I wish the US would change over to Metric. It is so much easier. Because my boat was built in Canada I need to keep both Metric and SAE tools. Canadians also like those square drive screws (Robinson). I got used to them and like them way better than Phillips heads but they can be hard to find. Good Luck locating what you need.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 21:51   #51

WOW!

I actually got a reply from both of them. Teleflex referred me over to an automotive electronics manufacturer, which shows a couple on their list.

And Yanmar sent me a part #128170-91160. So I've ordered it. Hopefully, it's metric @ US$135. + shipping. And with the part # I was able to fine the magnetic sensor in parts lists (part# 20).

Yanmar 3GM30(F) | 84. PANEL(B-TYPE)(OPTIONAL) at Niemiec Marine Engine Parts and Accessories
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
... Canadians also like those square drive screws (Robinson). I got used to them and like them way better than Phillips heads ...
The famous Canadian tapered square recess screw is a “Robertson”
Robertson Screws
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Robertson_screwdriver_patent_illustration.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	13799  
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 23:00   #53

I've resolved the shifter problem by installing two 45º exhaust elbows back to back creating a dogleg, which off sets the wetlift enough to clear the cable.

There was just enough room to get it over to where it would clear the cable and not touch the side boards (no vibration) of the engine compartment.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3558.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	13926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3557.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	13927  

Old 17-03-2010, 08:47   #54

Boat: Sceptre 41
Del I sure wish I had your skill as a craftsman. Nice job.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 23:19   #55

Well, the install is about done with just some minor stuff to get ironed out.

It's funny, NOT! It seems Yanmar decided to use US standards for it's cooling sensors and European standards for it's oil system. In another words the resistance values for the sender of the oil is Euro but for the cooling is US.

When I decided to buy the motor I planed on using the fairly new set of TeleFlex gauges that are neatly arranged in the pedestal panel. See picture below.

Well, it seems Yanmar doesn't want its users to buy aftermarket gauges. After cutting and splicing in connectors for the Teleflex gauges I turned on the system and the oil pressure gauge went to 100 psi, so I check the resistance of the sensor. It was reading 8-10 Ω. I checked the old sensor and it was reading 260 Ω.

No big deal, I'll just switch them, NOT!
The 1/8" pipe threads on the yanmar sender are about .020" smaller so I can only get the old sensor screwed in about 1 thread.
I'm thinking "What kind of crap is this?". It must be a BSPT. So, I pulled out the alarm sensor and it's the same way. Digging in deeper I pulled out the adaptor that screws into the motor block, and sure enough the same crap.
To make things worse the adaptor only had two flats (not a hex or square) to get a wrench on it and twist it out, Which I will machine to a hex before reinstallig. But first I'm going to tap out the pressure sensor hole to except my aftermarket unit.
So there! Can't keep a good Machinist down!

And just another note to you Yanmar owners!!! The wiring (umbilical cord) is NOT to ABYC Standards. First the wire is not tinned, just plan copper.

Second, the wires seemed awful small considering they originally ran 20 ft. Even the main negative wire to the panel was only a 20 gauge, along with most of the others. Not much room for corrosion. And then it was just wrapped up with electrical tape. Reminded me of a time back in the 70's when I rewired a Morris Minor.
If your having and electrical problems, now you know why!

Now, I just have to see how the tachometer reacts. I switched from the alternator pulse to a flywheel magnetic pickup.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2981.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	15259  
Old 12-04-2010, 05:43   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Beauteous pedestal !!!

The devious & duplicative cunning of these manufacturers is insidious & ingenious ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:01   #57

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
As I learned here in this forum, while tinned wire is desirable it is not required by ABYC.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ire-15835.html

while my maintenance problems were on a small scale compared to your frustrations, I too have said a few choice words as I find some english parts on a mostly metric engine.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52   #58

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
are thats why i love my old perkins 4.236 20 yrs old and it has never failed broken down or leaked oil or water and still has all origanal wiring and gauges
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:57   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Well, it seems Yanmar doesn't want its users to buy aftermarket gauges.

Well if those gauges don't work you could always source a nice new Yanmar panel.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Well if those gauges don't work you could always source a nice new Yanmar panel.

It wouldn't go well with the de-cor

Tags
yanmar