Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2009, 08:26   #1

Inboard "conventional" engine

Hi all (first post)

I´m searching for some advice on a new engine.
My knowledge of engines and marine drives, was gathered in the past weeks so.. i don't know mush, Its a long post but i would mush appreciate your help if you can. Thanks for reading

This will be for a sailboat, a QuarterToner from 1987, with 23 feet, 2750pounds/ 3750pounds (1700kg) displacement, powered by a nannidiesel 2.40He with 10hp, shaft drive and folding propeller ( Nanni Diesel Australia - Superseded 2.40HE )
The gearbox is a Hurth HBW 50 with a peculiar ratio of 2,05:1,86 (close to 1:1 than the "usual" 2:1)

We (me and 3 friends) bought the ship in bad shape. The price estimate to recover the engine is more than what we payed for the boat. So i´m looking for an alternative $
My idea is to fix a conventional engine, diesel or Gasoline, and re-use the gearbox, I will keep it air-cooled so i don't go in to the hassle off pumping water in an out.
This will be used on the Atlantic waters of the coast of Portugal.

I'm now looking at this conventional models form Kipor:

a) 1 cyl./ 4Stroke/ air cool Diesel KIPOR 186F(A)M (this one is actually rated as "marine" dont know wy since it looks just like the others)
WWW.KIPOR.COM
This is also available with an "inboard" 2:1 rpm ratio as i understood as KIPOR 186FE http://www.ribe-web.com/PDF/FICHA%20...%20KM186FE.pdf

b) Or the 2 cylinders/ 4Stroke/ air cool KIPOR 1KD2V78F WWW.KIPOR.COM
that more closer resembles my former engine.

c) 1 cyl./ 4Stroke/ air cool Gasoline KIPOR KG 390E
WWW.KIPOR.COM
This gas engine is only 31kg and smaller than the diesel engines i also understood to be easier to run, but since those are modern diesel engines might be the same.

Now the questions,

Considering my options, should I go Diesel or Gasoline considering the power I need Hp or Torque and considering the refrigeration will be air cool- with a fan)
The exhaustion should be installed upward ? (like a jeep snorkel)

Should i go for a 2:1 ratio its seems more rational to me. The propeller as 2 folding blades making a 20cm (8") diameter when open (i´m not sure on this one)

Thanks, I will appreciate any comments or consideration you might add, or problems i´m not foreseeing. This will of course all be fixed by professionals, but not maritime engine experts. So, im trying to gather as mush intel as i can so i can ask the right questions.

PS: I´m also presently looking at a reverse system so I can dish the gearbox,and hopefully make viable to build a cheap inboard installation from scratch.
I´v looked in to the electrical solution but the cost factor is prohibitive. specially when the cheaper solutions are in the wrong side of the Atlantic
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 08:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Do you know somebody else that is running any of these engines in a sailboat, without liquid cooling? I would be worried about overheating and engine life.

Why not just use an outboard engine? That would be the cheapest, easiest solution.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 09:07   #3

Outboarsd will be our last resort
The boat as an open rear, its design to have a inboard.
And If we can get way with an inboard for half the price of an outboard..

This type of engine-shaft can bee seen on any developing country all around the world normaly in rivers from Brazil to Indonesia, and they go on all day. like the petrol Honda's gx 270 (8hp) (from wish Kipor imitates) they are seen in the open in high humidity hot environments with no fans at all.
Even if i have to build a forced air cooling solution it will still be mush more afordable. (the 10hp version from Kipor is beig sold over ebay at around 300€)

PS: Theres also a water cooled version, its still half the weight of the nanni at 55kg but pulling 18Hp I feel its an over kill
WWW.KIPOR.COM
Old 23-02-2009, 09:10   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Do you know somebody else that is running any of these engines in a sailboat, without liquid cooling? I would be worried about overheating and engine life.

Why not just use an outboard engine? That would be the cheapest, easiest solution.

Chris
Add one to this suggestion.

If able, consider the 'outboard in a well' as seen on James Baldwin's website.

Also, keep in mind that Kipor is a Chinese brand with questionable reliability.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 09:17   #5

This is a photo from the boat so you can see that an outboard just do not seem right in it.
Don t have any other photos

42norte - Quarter Tonner "Vento Norte"

thanks

Tags
engine