Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 14:54   #1

In search of the right motor!

I've just recently acquired a 29' Newport 27. It was purchased from a friend, for a great deal, as it is very much a fix-me-up. The engine it currently has is a universal, onboard. It's pretty much completely decayed and destroyed.

My question is, and I have little to no experience with motors, where should I begin in looking for the right fit for my boat/price range (being the cheapest possible)? What sort of questions do I need to ask? I am thinking of an outboard motor, as I already have the fitting for it.

Any direction is very much appreciated! Thanks!
Lauroellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 15:54   #2

In an outboard, you'll want a long shaft. The best kicker motor I have tested is the Yamaha 8 hp, 4 stroke. .... the one with the special, big prop etc. it will kick a 29 ft powerboat along great into a head wind, real strong little motor. Other wise for a 27 footer, just get as much HP as you can afford up to 15hp. Most OB's use the same basic engine from about 9hp to 15hp, so you are not adding any weight. Your boat will be worth more if you can find a Diesel inboard to replace the universal.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 17:18   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
In order to make your decision you need to decide how you are going to use your boat. A Newport 27 can probably be pushed along quite well with an outboard. The price of a small diesel engine is probably be more than the value of the boat. From a financial standpoint it is had to justify repowering. From a convience standpoint it is not hard to justify. If you remove the engine you will have lots of extra storage. Considering the boats are for sail for less than $10k I would take your sailing time on the boat and sell it to someone else when it is time to move on.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 23:29   #4

Boat: Formosa CT41 Sea Tiger, 41' plus bow spit.
Motor replacement line of thought

I have a 41' William Garden Ketch with a 63HP diesel that when it dies, will be replaced with a 17000 Thoosa electric drive. That motor is the top of the line. A 27' yacht could be pushed thru the water with a much smaller electric motor. What drew me to the Thoosa setup was that it can be coupled directly on to the existing shaft. It is well worth looking at the Asmo Marine web site and in particular the Thoosa electric motor.
Not for everyone but does tend to open up the mind to other solutions.
keith lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 11:30   #5

Boat: Moody 34 "Rendl"
I am repowering my 34' boat with a 260i system from Electric Yacht:

Electric Yacht - Electric Yachts Mission
BrandyIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 11:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For your situation and your boat, I would go with an outboard. Either a Honda or Yamaha. Having an outboard hanging off the transom of a 27 foot sailboat does not look as cool, but an outboard for the horsepower to cost ratio is less expensive than a diesel inboard. I would say if you were going to do some serious cruising, then get the inboard for its fuel efficiency, fuel availability and ability to charge multiple banks of large batteries, but this does not seem to be your situation. For day sailing or sailing for a few days, the outboard makes the most sense. You can always supplement your battery charging ability with some solar panels.

For electric systems, the horsepower to cost ratio is even greater than for inboard diesels. Because then you are buying an engine to turn an electric motor, a propulsion motor, a blackbox computer to manage the system, a voltage booster for the drive motors and quite a few large batteries. If you have no generator then you are going to need a lot of onboard real estate for solar panels and possibly a wind generator....that's just ridiculously expensive and complex for how you are going to be using the boat.

Keep it simple and inexpensive if most of what you are doing is daysailing

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 14:42   #7

Forgot to mention.....I believe the little Universal diesal was made as an easy replacment for the gas engine.... Kubota based?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 17:36   #8

Boat: grampian 26
For coastal/local cruising I would go with an outboard. Why? they are as common as dirt and parts and service are available just about everywhere. Fifteen horse is more than adequate for a boat that size. I have 26 foot 5300# boat with an ancient 9.9 Evinrude and it moves me along at just under hull speed.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc