Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 08:48   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
In need of new engine - What do you think/what is your opinion?

Well last weekend I removed the seized inboard diesel from my B27. Yesterday I started the tear down of the engine to see what the state was of the lower end and see how bad it was. During the tear down i found that the bearing line that connects the rod to the crankshaft was non-existant and was metal on metal contact. The crankshaft is completely shot and needs replacing.

Due to the time and cost of the rebuild, I've decided I'm going to throw it up for sale and move on. I do want to have an inboard as I hate having an outboard hung from the back.

I have a 2 stroke 15hp merc('91) on the back however it is showing signs of age and loves to hobby horse.

We also are having issues where the engine idles and sits in gear just fine, however when you rev up to around 1/2 throttle, it will start to bog down and die if you dont throttle down. When you throttle down and let it catch itself, it will produce a large puff of smoke. I believe the fuel filters need replacing and the carb needs cleaning. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I have been looking at a few different options.

The first option is to pickup a Tohatsu SailPro 6hp engine. There are two shops within 10miles that have this engine in stock and are authorized dealers, so warranty would be easy to cash in on. I believe they are selling them for about $1750 including sales tax with the 5 year warranty.

The second option I'm debating about is possibly converting to an inboard, all electric system. Browsing around I found thunderstruck-ev's has a 5kw kit for $1600 without a throttle system, or with throttle it would be $1750 or so. I'd expect to spend another $1k on a battery bank as well, putting total cost at around $2800.

Granted with this option I'd need to invest in a battery bank that would be up for the task, however I do have a 2000w inverter generator(similar to the honda version, but the harbor freight model) so i could run in a "hybrid" mode

Heres the kit for the electric setup: 5 KW Brushless Sailboat Kit

Has anyone looked into this company? Made the conversion? Anyone have recommendations?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:52   #2

Re: In need of new engine - What do you think/what is your opinion?

What is the make of your bad engine?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Quite. He you ought to be able to find a good 20hp diesel for less than $2800.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:04   #4

Quote:
It's a 2 stroke Mercury - 15hp.

When we got it(came with the boat), one spark plug cable was bad, so i had replaced that along with the plugs and the impeller. I also had changed the oil in the lower end as well.

When we took the boat out for a test run after redoing this work, it took us out to the bay just outside of Everett marina and wasn't having issues going up to 1/2 throttle.

Once we got out to the bay, we had sailed for a few hours then we decided it was time to head in. On return, the engine was running fine(had 0 wind), then after about 5 minutes of running at 1/2 throttle it started to bog down. I immediately switched to neutral and let it catch itself and thats when the "poof" of exhaust came about. Every time we revved up and it'd bog down it'd do the "poof" when it would catch itself at the idle speed(too much unburned gas in the cylinder creating the smoke poof?).

I did NOT replace the fuel filter(will be giving that a go this week/weekend), and will likely purge the external fuel tank for some new ethanol free fuel. I'll also be cleaning out the carb when i replace the fuel filter.

Other than this issue that we are seeing, the engine runs fine. I guess the third option that I can look into is getting an extra leg extension for this engine after getting it to actually run beyond idle.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Quite. He you ought to be able to find a good 20hp diesel for less than $2800.

Pete
That's the one idea I've been floating around quite a bit. Just getting another diesel to replace my existing one. Watching Craigslist there aren't too many in the area within this price range. There are a butt ton out of florida but I am quite hesitant to make a purchase on something $2500+ without seeing or having any sense of security that its in a good state that needs minimal work or an overhaul.

Since $2800 would be my maximum budget, having an engine for around that means my budget is maxed out in the even there is something that goes wrong.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
That's the one idea I've been floating around quite a bit. Just getting another diesel to replace my existing one. Watching Craigslist there aren't too many in the area within this price range. There are a butt ton out of florida but I am quite hesitant to make a purchase on something $2500+ without seeing or having any sense of security that its in a good state that needs minimal work or an overhaul.

Since $2800 would be my maximum budget, having an engine for around that means my budget is maxed out in the even there is something that goes wrong.
I was asking what make is your diesel.

Old 25-04-2016, 10:27   #7

Quote:
I was asking what make is your diesel.
OOO totally skipped on that part. Its a Perkins M20. Two owners before had installed it themselves.

The tractor based crankshaft(Ford/New Holland GT65) was $1200. Pricing it out on all replacements, i'm looking at around $3500 for bringing this one back online, not include the cost to have the head/block worked on in a shop.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:28   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How about a cheeky offer on this, they can only say no.

Yanmar Marine Diesel Engine 360 Hrs | eBay

Another:

Yanmar 3GMD Marine Diesel Sailboat 20 HP Complete Engine Transmission 2 6 1 | eBay

Is there no boatyards in Seattle that sell second hand engines?
Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:43   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:

I'm sorry if I am overstepping my bounds here but it seems like there a few things that you might not have knowledge about. When installing a new engine you need to have a prop that matches the gearbox. I think that you can get one for $200 to $400 dollars. You may also need a longer prop shaft. Then there is the question of the engine bed and the mounts. If you do not replace with the same engine you usually need to create a new bed to mount the engine and then you will need the mounts as well. Lastly is the real bad news that adding an engine to a smaller boat will typically not increase the value of the boat as much as the cost to put in a new engine. If you can get by with an outboard that is a good inexpensive option. If you need to recharge batteries you can either do so with shore power or you can buy a small generator ( honda is the gold standard). If you sell the boat you can keep the generator.

BTW locally you can usually pick up a skiff with a 15 hp engine on a trailer for less then what people want for the 15hp engine alone.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:05   #10

Quote:
OOO totally skipped on that part. Its a Perkins M20. Two owners before had installed it themselves.

The tractor based crankshaft(Ford/New Holland GT65) was $1200. Pricing it out on all replacements, i'm looking at around $3500 for bringing this one back online, not include the cost to have the head/block worked on in a shop.
I wonder if a crank shop would repair that crank...? They have a process where they flame spray metal buildup and then regrind... just a thought. Wow, surprised the crank is that much if it's also used in tractors etc.

Old 25-04-2016, 11:41   #11

Quote:
I wonder if a crank shop would repair that crank...? They have a process where they flame spray metal buildup and then regrind... just a thought. Wow, surprised the crank is that much if it's also used in tractors etc.
Hrm, maybe I'll look into that option. The engine is down at my parents house near Centralia, so maybe that would be a route to go if price isn't bad.

I too was surprised to see the crank priced at such a high point for the tractor based one. I've got some automated alerts setup to notify me of any engines that go up on craigslist/ebay for this model(including parts for it).
Old 25-04-2016, 12:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I'm sorry if I am overstepping my bounds here but it seems like there a few things that you might not have knowledge about. When installing a new engine you need to have a prop that matches the gearbox. I think that you can get one for $200 to $400 dollars. You may also need a longer prop shaft. Then there is the question of the engine bed and the mounts. If you do not replace with the same engine you usually need to create a new bed to mount the engine and then you will need the mounts as well. Lastly is the real bad news that adding an engine to a smaller boat will typically not increase the value of the boat as much as the cost to put in a new engine. If you can get by with an outboard that is a good inexpensive option. If you need to recharge batteries you can either do so with shore power or you can buy a small generator ( honda is the gold standard). If you sell the boat you can keep the generator.

BTW locally you can usually pick up a skiff with a 15 hp engine on a trailer for less then what people want for the 15hp engine alone.
I realize that installing a different engine would definitely mean rebuilding mounts at the very least.

I am not too concerned about increasing value a terrible amount, I'm more concerned about reliability and being able to beat into the wind/current and not be pushed backwards. This is the one reason I am hesitant to stay with an outboard, but it seems that many people chose this route and don't have a terrible issue with it.

I do have a Predator 2000w inverter generator from Harbor Freight, the knock off version of the Honda model. It had 2 hours on it when I bought it from a friend. He was asking $200 for it as he was moving out of town and didn't want to haul it up to NY from Seattle.
Old 25-04-2016, 12:14   #13

There seem to be a few crank repair/crank grinding places in Seattle/Tacoma. I would call them and see what they think. If it's not too bad, possibly could be chromed and ground. Otherwise ask them who might do flame spraying. Possible any of them could handle the whole thing.

Action Machine | 206.546.2082 | 17012 Aurora Ave N Shoreline, WA 98133 | actionmachine@outlook.com

Old 25-04-2016, 13:42   #14

Quote:
There seem to be a few crank repair/crank grinding places in Seattle/Tacoma. I would call them and see what they think. If it's not too bad, possibly could be chromed and ground. Otherwise ask them who might do flame spraying. Possible any of them could handle the whole thing.

Action Machine | 206.546.2082 | 17012 Aurora Ave N Shoreline, WA 98133 | actionmachine@outlook.com

Thanks for that,

I'll have to reach out to them to see what it'd cost. Maybe next weekend I'll go back down to my parents to continue the tear down to get the crank out and start stopping by shops to see what they say.
Old 25-04-2016, 14:45   #15

Boat: sabre 28

There's a guy in Wisconsin that sells "remanufactured" engines with a warranty for around $3500 with a core exchange. The web site is something like diesel engine trader. Just scroll down to the engine list & click away. I do not know anything about this guy but he's had engines listed on this site for year.
27'Bristol, easily driven hull. I'd give serious thought about going electric personally despite the blow back from others.

Tags
engine