Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 18:37   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: I'm so smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
"Engine-(1) Remove hose from seacock & insert it in jug of RV antifreeze.
Run engine @12-1500 until water coming out exhaust thru hull is all pink.Takes maybe 10-20seconds.
This method leaves pure -40-50F antifreeze throughout your block,heat exchanger,water pump,piping & exhaust system-nothing to freeze."

Would just point out that this is for a fresh water cooled engine. If the engine is raw water cooled you need to either remove the thermostat or get it up to temp in a bucket of fresh water and then while it is still running add in the antifreeze. Otherwise most of the antifreeze is just going to pass through the bypass and go straight out the exhaust without much flowing through the block/head and exhaust manifold.

Shawn
You are correct Shawn-my bad! / Len
Old 07-05-2015, 20:12   #17

Boat: Tayana 47

After reading this thread and the one the link leads to, it sounds all so complicated with extra hoses and tee's and valves, etc.

I have a very (very) large sea strainer and just close the thru hull, take the top off the strainer and stick a garden hose in it and run the engine to warm it up, then start dumping in anti-freeze (3 opened gallon bottles of pink stuff pre-positioned so I can grab them quickly) as I shut off the flow through the garden hose. It's tough to predict just how much water to pump in so to make sure there's enough I usually end up with a fair amount of fresh water overflowing into the bilge and some anti-freeze too, but that's OK. When it's all pink coming out of the exhaust, it's time to shut down the engine and stop dumping in the pink stuff. The last step is to screw the top back on the strainer and open the thru hull so the salt water remaining in the intake hose up to the height of the waterline can drain out, and I'm ready to go in the spring.

My last boat had a much smaller sea strainer (held less than a quart of water and had a clear plastic top with a wing nut holding it on) and I used pretty much the same method to winterize that engine. The only difference being that I had to hold the garden hose over the strainer rather than sticking the end in. But in either case, I've never felt the need for any extra valves or hoses. I waste some pink antifreeze due to spillage but it seems worth it to spend an extra $5 or $10 each fall to keep things super simple and not have to take any hoses off the thru hull or add T's that only get used once a year.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 22:52   #18

This is how I do it. Fill up big bucket with water/antifreeze. Bucket hanging under exhaust outlet, hose leading back to raw water intake filter trough window. You can run it for quite long until the water/anti freeze gets warm an then you know that all thermostats are open.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431150670.119209.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	101646

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:04   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
This is how I do it. Fill up big bucket with water/antifreeze. Bucket hanging under exhaust outlet, hose leading back to raw water intake filter trough window. You can run it for quite long until the water/anti freeze gets warm an then you know that all thermostats are open.Attachment 101646

Neat way to prevent A/F from spilling.
Are you using Non-Toxic RV antifreeze & mixing it with water?
This would reduce it's freeze point??
/Len
Old 09-05-2015, 03:59   #20

I use glykol/watermix and reuse It several years. Just pour it back to the container after circulation is done. It's only very little left in the engine over winter

Flod is offline   Reply With Quote