Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 20:46   #1

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
If You're Thinking Yanmar, Think Twice

In 2004 I installed a 4JH4E Yanmar engine in a boat I built. After 7 years and 1,000 hours, the gear-driven cooling water pump began to leak through the ceramic seal, so I bought a kit and rebuilt it. So far so good, but rebuilding the pump is not something you can do on the fly, so I began to think this would be a good time to stock a spare pump. Think again. This gear driven water pump sells for $723 from Yanmar. This for an engine that costs about $8000.
Turns out the pumps are made in Sweden and I could buy one through my parts dealer for $260. But, Yanmar uses a proprietary version of the pump that is identical to the standard except the shaft is 1/2" longer. This means the gear on the standard pump will not mesh with the gear inside the Yanmar engine. You have to pay Yanmar $463 extra for that longer shaft.
My parts man was apologetic, but said I should be thankful I did not need a piston or connecting rod. It appears Yanmar does not want to keep its engines running, it only wants to sell new ones.
Daedalusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 20:51   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: If you're thinking Yanmar, think twice

yes maybe true, but seems like there still one of the best around- ive got 2 going with about 1500 hours each and have only had to replace the water pump">raw water pump on one-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 20:56   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

You have to shop around for parts...or find a mechanic that gets a discount
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 20:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have Two 4LH-DTE I installed new in 1995..... BEAT THE CRAP out of them commercial towing.... 9500 hours and they still run fine. I did buy a few turbo mixing elbows, belts, hoses and filters, but otherwise no problems!
Old 22-09-2011, 21:25   #5

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"

I have a mechanic/parts man who has been in business for 25 years and knows Yanmar - he is a dealer. He thinks we may be able to buy a pump shaft from Yanmar and replace the shorter shaft in the standard pump. Waiting to see if that is possible and what Yanmar will charge for the shaft.
Daedalusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalusk View Post
In 2004 I installed a 4JH4E Yanmar engine in a boat I built. After 7 years and 1,000 hours, the gear-driven cooling water pump began to leak through the ceramic seal, so I bought a kit and rebuilt it. So far so good, but rebuilding the pump is not something you can do on the fly, so I began to think this would be a good time to stock a spare pump. Think again. This gear driven water pump sells for $723 from Yanmar. This for an engine that costs about $8000.
Turns out the pumps are made in Sweden and I could buy one through my parts dealer for $260. But, Yanmar uses a proprietary version of the pump that is identical to the standard except the shaft is 1/2" longer. This means the gear on the standard pump will not mesh with the gear inside the Yanmar engine. You have to pay Yanmar $463 extra for that longer shaft.
My parts man was apologetic, but said I should be thankful I did not need a piston or connecting rod. It appears Yanmar does not want to keep its engines running, it only wants to sell new ones.

You sound quite put out with Yanmar! However you quote a purchase price for the motor of $8000. To my mind that is a steal for such a fantastic 4 cylinder motor renouned throughout the world ( and not without reason) as an excellent marine motor.

Here in Australia the 3 cylinder Yanmar retails near $15,000... and you're complaining?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:40   #7

Quote:
I have a mechanic/parts man who has been in business for 25 years and knows Yanmar - he is a dealer. He thinks we may be able to buy a pump shaft from Yanmar and replace the shorter shaft in the standard pump. Waiting to see if that is possible and what Yanmar will charge for the shaft.
Can you not use the shaft from the old pump?

Just wondering....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:40   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
I would think you can get a shaft made at a Fab shop for quite cheap if Yanmar is over the top
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 22:47   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Even if we concede the possibility that Yanmar makes a faulty product, a significant majority of us would swear that it's the best thing available for the marine market.
Old 23-09-2011, 00:40   #10

I'm on my fifth Yanmar, swore by them.
Put in a new 3YM30 a couple of years ago, 250 hours on it.
Its leaking coolant along the freshwater pump shaft.
Cant replace the seal, have to buy a new unit.
$800 here in Oz, $300 in the US.
This may be my last Yanmar I think, they have gone to s..t.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 09:47   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: If You're Thinking Yanmar, Think Twice

Yanmar makes a great product. However, they have REALLY missed the boat on the distributor/dealer side, where prices are effectively "fixed".

Of course, it makes one wonder if they "give" them (sell them cheap) away to boat builders, knowing there will be an income stream down the line for parts.

My problem is that this is exactly opposite of what Mercedes Benz does. The reason why MB are driven for so long is that parts are very reasonable. Sometimes 1/3-1/2 of what even Toyota, VW and others charge for the same part.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 09:51   #12

Here's the thing though... Who's really any better? Getting parts for my westerbeke was a NIGHTMARE and talk about expensive!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 10:25   #13

3 yanmars, two total failures less than 2200 hours. the one good one was the old slowturning heavy model built before they decided that if they could make an 18 hp engine turn 3800 rpm they could call it a lightweight 30HP!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 10:26   #14

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I just bought a new pump for my perkins 4108, 110 bucka roos.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 10:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
I just bought a new pump for my perkins 4108, 110 bucka roos.
Yep, and it may be the only one you'll need in your lifetime! Remarkably, a spare freshwater pump for my Nanni/Mercedes 85HP 240D diesel was $28 at the Mercedes dealer in 1999. I went in to get a gasket set and started asking prices and buying a lot of spares! Regarding raw water pumps on Yanmars, I'd be thinking about designing a bracket to hold a regular belt drive Groco/Wilcox style bronze pump at those prices!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar