Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 00:42   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post

Or, for example, if one just races and so each week does a 30 minute drive out to the course and the same back again so the engine never gets a good warm up run, should one go for an aimless drive around the harbour for an extra hour each race day so's the engine does get a work out?

I agree with just about evreything you said except this. In my book there is no aimless hours on the boat. Each one eradicates a percentage of the work week

Lately we have been doing aimless night wandering. Cheese, crackers, grapes wine and a lovely companion.

Between sunset and the rise of the evening winds we'll motor for at least 30 minutes. We also don't care where we are when the night wind dies. We just fire up ironlady and slowly motor home.

I also agree with the sentiment that some stuff can be overanalyzed.

We probably motor 5 hours a week. Let's give our little donk some credit and say it's gonna live 3,000 hours - 600 weeks give or take. Can you get 5,000? If so call it somewhere between 11 and 19 years.

The donk will likely outlive the ownership horizon of the owner. If you buy a used boat - you get what's left and probably all the damage was done by the previous owner.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:25   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
MainSail, I still say that's the best lookin engine for the hours I've seen in a long time. The only thing missing on that engine is a gun rack!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:05   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
The problem here is obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes I know I go above and beyond manufacturers specs on changes but motors are 10k+ and oil changes cost me about the same as a twelve pack of good beer theses days.
Maine Sail, old friend, if you want to continue going through life as a boat maintenance fiend, that's fine with me. But you're paying waaaaaay too much for beer.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:05   #49

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Mainsail - your protest notwithstanding, the reason I said that (head wiped clean) was simply because that is precisely what you stated in another thread describing the pictures. Your exact quote was:

"The only reason I cleaned out the oil is that I will be re-painting the exterior."

I see nothing vague here and don't intend to get into petty arguments. If that was not what you meant or did, that's fine with me...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:10   #50

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The donk will likely outlive the ownership horizon of the owner. If you buy a used boat - you get what's left and probably all the damage was done by the previous owner.
It's funny you should say this. A good friend of mine's father once asked his mechanic how long he thought his engine would last. The mechanic looked my friends 70 year old father up and down and said, "Oh I don't think you need to worry about that."
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Geeze Don mis-quotes..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Mainsail - your protest notwithstanding, the reason I said that (head wiped clean) was simply because that is precisely what you stated in another thread describing the pictures. Your exact quote was:

"The only reason I cleaned out the oil is that I will be re-painting the exterior."

I see nothing vague here and don't intend to get into petty arguments. If that was not what you meant or did, that's fine with me...
Don,

I precisely stated NO SUCH THING ABOUT MY TOP END EVER!!

You misquoted me, which is not a surprise. That "quote" was taken OUT OF CONTEXT and was in direct relation to the photo of my valve cover NOT the photo of the top end and you know it.

Post In Question For Mis-Quote (LINK)

Admins/mods based on the nature of this and the false accusations insinuating that I am lying I would ask that this external link be allowed to stand. (Yes I know the policy and it is why I am asking permission)

This is the photo Don took my "quote from" NOT the photo of the top end posted earlier in this thread.

Here is Don's quote of me which is TOTALLY unrelated to the top end photos earlier in this thread:

Here's the full context of what I said in relation to the VALVE COVER photo above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes there was a thin film of oil coating the insides and that was taken before I cleaned it. The only reason I cleaned out the oil is that I will be re-painting the exterior.. Plenty of oil is reaching the top of the head, I know this because I inadvertently left my oil cap off last summer during an oil change and it took four hours to clean up... Plus remember this engine has been sitting since Nov so any thick oil drained back and only a thin film was left. I hardly doubt it would have reached 2800+ hours with no oil circulation..
Don, taking a quote from me based on a totally different photo, and then applying it to the top end photos posted here, and even then ignoring the sentence that preceded it, which is also fairly important to the photo NOT in question of the valve cover, is grasping at best.

I am sure I will see no apology from you yet my offer still stands for you to drive to Maine with your camera and I will remove the five bolts and one hose so you can see for yourself.

Amazing......
Old 02-06-2009, 06:38   #52
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Ok girls, enough. Cowboy up.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 14:56   #53

Yeah seriously take it up with PMs no one needs to hear this stuff.
Old 02-06-2009, 20:14   #54
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Man, this is getting really girly-girl
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 20:35   #55

Boat: deboated
Its simple really, run the engine at manufacturers recommended temperature, change oil regularly and do not run engine unloaded. Alternate method is to ignore all that and big note yourself on forums etc how you no better than the designers and professional engineers. Its called gambling and the world is full of them!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 15:50   #56

I am going to tack on a little subquestion here and hope not to get barked at. For reasons I won't go into I haven't had any fuel in the engine (from the fuel injector pump to the fuel return line really) for a few days and am thinking it may be a few more days before I get the part that will allow me to finish bleeding the lines. Is it bad for an engine to not have fuel in it for a week?
Old 04-06-2009, 15:56   #57

now there's a man who cares for his engine!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote