Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 09:03   #136

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: I was Bored so Pulled the Head on my Yanmar

G'Day 34,

On the subject of pre-filling oil galleries: In the distant pass when I built engines for drag racing cars the engines were pulled apart nearly every week, and had short but difficult lives! To avoid damaging them on initial startup, I would slather the wearing areas with a mixture of oil and STP, and then crank the engine with the plugs out until the oil pressure built up the first time. In your case, why not wait to install the injectors until you have had a chance to do the same... crank with no compression loads until pressure rises to normal. Or, if your engine has decompression levers, use them for the same purpose.

Good luck with the whole project... despite the agony of the process, you will have learned a lot, made some new friends perhaps and gained a great deal of self respect (and the respect of many others as well).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-07-2013, 09:05   #137

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailorchick,

I doubt it will actually take you a month. The surprises, which are what cost you a lot of time on the teardown, will probably be finished, and the reconstruction pretty straightforward after everything else you have accomplished.

It's not over yet, true, but you have made a lot of progress, and I think you should be feeling pretty good about it, even though you're not finished yet.

Good job so far, good on ya, and keep up the good work!

Ann
Old 26-07-2013, 09:06   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
chic--i have encountered 2 electric propulsion boats her einbarra de navidad....same ones also in zihuatenejo..... the formosa has a huge invvestment in lithium ion batteries--3 times price i paid for hti boat. he is happy.
the other uses an outboard system--is n0t an islander 36 but similar in hull shape and form---somehow they place this electric motor into an engine well and use it that way.

both said they are happy. i traded my cruising spinnaker to the formosa--he said that uphill he only gets 1.8 kts--kinda like i was before runaway--but that downhillhe gets to 7 kts boat speed.....that would be an improvement for me...lol

is a heavy investment but it would propel your islander hull nicely. remember we are deeper and heavier than you are...just a tad....if you have the bux, it would work for you. and you i believe are in the right locale for it--i think the guy in the formosa repowered in sf area.....

sad to hear you have propulsion issues---i have been dealing with my own same thing so i didnt see yours....i hope is not difficult to fix yours.
Well I knew my engine had an issue. But had hoped/ prayed it was just a head gasket. Nope, My engine will be completely apart when the block goes to the machinist Monday. Lots O baggies with parts in them. Will be buying more baggies and cleaning the parts and putting the clean parts in new baggies before the fun of putting the engine back together.

Not having enough money, sure makes it a lot more interesting. I'm hoping by August 10-15 to have Purple (I'm painting the engine purple, which is now its name) back in place and running.

Next time it comes out, I'll use it for an anchor and swap to electric. I thought bottom painting was the worst job. Not even close. Engine removal is way too much fun on a small sailboat.

Hope you get your engine sorted too Zee.. Enjoy pairadice!
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 09:10   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day 34,

On the subject of pre-filling oil galleries: In the distant pass when I built engines for drag racing cars the engines were pulled apart nearly every week, and had short but difficult lives! To avoid damaging them on initial startup, I would slather the wearing areas with a mixture of oil and STP, and then crank the engine with the plugs out until the oil pressure built up the first time. In your case, why not wait to install the injectors until you have had a chance to do the same... crank with no compression loads until pressure rises to normal. Or, if your engine has decompression levers, use them for the same purpose.

Good luck with the whole project... despite the agony of the process, you will have learned a lot, made some new friends perhaps and gained a great deal of self respect (and the respect of many others as well).

Cheers,

Jim
Yep, alot of mechanics used to do that. STP is tenacious... bonds well with the surface, thus protecting it until things warmup/lubeup. Do they even still sell that stuff?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 09:23   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
+1 on taking a good long look at finances and thinking about replacing all the pistions.................. I'd hate to see you get it back together only to have it loose another ring land, but you've got to do what works for you and your budget. I'm pulling for your and another +1 on the paypal.
I'm in on the Paypal! I really want to see those other two pistons replaced! As I said much earlier... compare the new piston with your old ones.... my guess is Yanmar redesigned them a long time ago....

Old 26-07-2013, 09:26   #141

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Not sure they make STP anymore, but I just put together my rotary, and used "motor honey', same idea, thick sticky oil. We would just spin the oil pump with a drill where the distributor goes, before starting up rebuilds. Diesel would be different. also is good to confirm the oil pump and oil pressure is operational and you didn't forget to put something back in.
Old 26-07-2013, 09:46   #142

Boat: Seaward 22

still made

Oil Additives by STP® | Keeping Your Engine Lubricated
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 09:51   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm in on the Paypal! I really want to see those other two pistons replaced! As I said much earlier... compare the new piston with your old ones.... my guess is Yanmar redesigned them a long time ago....
Yes. What do we need to do to get this going? Can't you Paypal money to any email address?

On the other hand, maybe Sailorchic34 shouldn't publicly post her email address. Could overload the server by the end of the day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:04   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There is a bunch of engine rebuild lubricants out there. Fairly cheap so no reason not to use it. Here's one but most oil suppliers have the stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-lube
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:13   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes. What do we need to do to get this going? Can't you Paypal money to any email address?

On the other hand, maybe Sailorchic34 shouldn't publicly post her email address. Could overload the server by the end of the day.
I think she's got to "join up". I suppose it'll get complicated....

Old 26-07-2013, 10:38   #146

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

I just logged into my PayPal account and it says I can send money to almost anyone who has a e-mail address. Just need an address and we can find out...LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:07   #147

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
I just logged into my PayPal account and it says I can send money to almost anyone who has a e-mail address. Just need an address and we can find out...LL
I'll volunteer my email address so you guys can beta test this idea

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:18   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problem with paypal is two fold. I don't have a real physical address, PO box does not work, and I don't have a bank account. So paypal just does not work for some. However I have a friend, who says I can use her account. PM for details.

Been cleaning the tools and tool bag this morning. Plus separated the imperial from metric as all I use tools on now is metric..

Now to look at bilge cleaning. Ah the dark side of boating that the glossy magazines never show..
Old 26-07-2013, 11:23   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes I need some engine assembly lube for the bearings, etc. It really is daunting how much work goes into a marine engine rebuild. I was a little overwelmed earlier this week. The word crazy was used by a friend or two.I am much better now..

Who knew yamnar was a four letter word.
Old 26-07-2013, 15:08   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Introducing Bubba, My new socket. If you remove the crankshaft from a Yanmar GM series block, your going to need Bubba. That is a 36 mm really deep 3/4" drive socket.

I think it looks pretty good. Sweet. My very first fabricated tool. Great welder and practically right next door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02628.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	64657  

Tags
head, yanmar