Today starts the rebuild
process. After cleaning
the bores of honing stuff yesterday and painting the block purple, this morning started out slow.
First I had to remove the rings and check ring end gap in the cylinders. I checked an old one too and both the old and all the new rings came in at 0.013". Stock is anywhere from 0.008 to 0.015 so right in the middle. Wear limit is 0.059" which is a lot.
So reinstalled the rings, used snap ring plyers to spread the rings. That worked well enough.
Then reinstalled the crankshaft and touque the bolts. Then install the crank timing gear
, govenor weights and the special nut. Put the cam tappits back in, which go in from the oil
pan side before the cam goes in. I used a magnetic pickup thingy to guide the tappits into their respective holes. That worked well. Installed the cam, checking that the marks on the crank and cam gears lined up.
I reused the crank bearings as the front one came in as stock on wear. Plus it takes another special too to remove the end bearings and I have had it with yanmars special tools.
Then installed the pistons. I did not have a ring compressor
. But I had a small metal band type oil filter
wrench that actually did a quite respectable job as a ring compressor
. Just the right size too. Always love it when a tool has more then one use. Cool.
Its lunch time and I need a break for an hour or so after 3.5 hours working on the block.
Next will be installing the oil pan, timing cover and injector pump
. Then flywheel cover, flywheel, head
and odds and ends. Its looking like I'll have it together by tomorrow sometime. If all goes well...
Below the results of 3.5 hours of a blonde mechanic
. Plus the cockpit
is a mess which I so love.... Not. But I'm saving a massive amount of money
that I don't have, just in labor rates. So pretty happy all in all that things are going so well.